Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:44am - Jul 25,20 
Well i used to go down and fish off the pier. Then health issues sidelined that for a few years. I know they redid the pier and I'm wondering about a few things if you know them:

1) Still have access the same way either where you'd launch parking lot or in the marina lot during the week?

2) How has your ability been changed to cast, net fish and deal with waves with the new pier and higher water level on the lake side?

Planning on buying my license Sunday afternoon and just want to know if it will be worth it to get a salmon stamp?

Thanks!!!

Keep your stick on the ice!!!-----Red Green

Proud son of a Civilian Conservation Corps. member and following in his footsteps!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:48pm - Jul 29,20 
Geo,

Parking is still the same there, you park just south of the launch in front of the pier. With the renovation of the pier, they only redid the pier up to the rock jetty and maybe 25 yards past it. Its pretty nice and easy walking now. The big difference is the part past the new section. Where you used to be able to get down close to the water, it is now underwater, so everyone has to fish off the top of the pier. Wasnt much of an issue for me this spring netting cohos, but could be a little more challenging with an angry king on the other end, I would say its still worth it to get a stamp, but there is definetly a lot less room to put your stuff down. hope this helps and you have a chance to get after them this fall.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:37pm - Jul 31,20 
Thanks for the info!! Just what i wanted to know!

Proud son of a Civilian Conservation Corps. member and following in his footsteps!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:38am - Aug 7,20 
South Rocks is still available, but you may have to hoof it from the main parking lot if the gate is closed as it tends to be in the morning hours. It is still productive there on good days, but by God just creep down on the rocks. I took my first spill on some rocks in Port Washington last year and thought going down I was a dead man, Luckily I flipped over on my back and landed on a flat rock and only got a slight bump. But it is so scary, especially when you are older. Now I lower myself down and creep along to get to the spot. The pier can be good, but the higher water is a little intimidating when farther out. You'll need a long net. its different out there.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:37am - Aug 8,20 
Thanks Oscar!! Well the south rocks can be rough. Thats why i prefer the pier. But might have to venture out on them.

Board index » Lake Michigan » Shore Fishing the Big Pond
Jump to: