Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:33pm - Aug 12,19 
I have a princecraft 142 tiller with a 25hp Johnson. I added a second battery this year to the front of it. With three adults I can only go 7mph and with two about 11. Used to get up on plane with 2 people at around 18 and with just me, 22, just me now is 17. It acts more like it's a 15 not a 25. Starts fine, runs smooth, prop not bent the boat doesn't go. Used to run 13 with 4 people in it.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:25pm - Aug 12,19 
The more of the hull that is out of the water the faster the boat can go as drag is your biggest deterrent to speed. It may not feel (or be) comfy with the battery in the back but it might lower the overall drag. The battery is probably 78# so the weight is a third of a man.

Motor might need a tune up, new plugs, or "something" but this is how the second battery affects performance.

How clean the hull is affects drag as wall as "dents" or other shape changes below the waterline.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:51pm - Aug 12,19 
Agree with windy on weight distribution. Start there first.A compression check and look at the spark plugs will tell you many things.Hope this helps-

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:27pm - Aug 12,19 
Also-Make sure the gas you are using is the steady diet she is used too.I have seen engines under perform when gas is bought from a different name brand-

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 08:38pm - Aug 12,19 
How big of battery? What does it weigh, maybe 80lbs now add a 3rd person and your at 300lb with gear? Your a good fisherman so that means a live well full of fish and water at ?????????how may pounds. Just something to think about. :wink:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:20am - Aug 13,19 
Too large a decrease in performance from the weight of a battery even one placed ahead of where a second passenger might be seated. I’d start looking at fuel delivery such as fuel filter, or air entering the line at the bulb. Easiest diagnosis would be to simply pull the battery and see how she performs. IMHO all other causes would be less sudden.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:41am - Aug 13,19 
Pull the prop and check from the backside.
Possible the prop spun the internal rubber mount.

Support Staff

Post Posted: 05:01am - Aug 13,19 
One more thing to check, does the trim need adjustment?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:14pm - Aug 14,19 
I did try different trim settings but all the way down is best. I will check the prop but it's not over revving and not startving for gas. I have BP premium in it right now and it hasn't made any difference. Going to pull the second battery up front. It is the biggest optima they make.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:23pm - Aug 14,19 
I had the same problem a couple of years ago. Did you go through the carbs lately? The seats for the float valves that I put in mine were smaller then the originals. It would run great in the driveway on muffs, ran like a dog in the water. Took a while to figure out what was happening, put the old seats back in, problem gone!

Board index » The Tackle Box » Boats And Motors
Jump to: