Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:00pm - May 12,19 
This is my first Coho season in Chicago fishing from shore. Been skunked the last week and haven't seen many others out fishing.

Is this about the time where they've moved to deeper water?

Thanks in advance.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:44pm - May 12,19 
It becomes much more hit and miss on the salmon/trout but under the right conditions you can catch fish year round from shore. Right now you're hoping for some alewives to move into the harbor mouths to spawn. You can hit salmon casting spoons or fishing live alewives on the bottom especially if you're out before sunrise. As summer progresses and the water warms, if it ever gets here, you'll need a couple days of west wind to drop temps enough for salmon to move in. Skamania steelhead will show up the summer, I know IL stocks some but not sure where, Michigan City IN is the most consistent bet for them. They are bankable sometime between Father's Day and the 4th of July. If you're stuck in the city, your best bet is to get into smallmouth fishing around the harbors. If we're lucky there will be some perch around but that's been harder every year it seems.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:52pm - May 12,19 
I fished on my boat yesterday by navy pier and got 11 coho missed 4 or 5 marked tons of bait inside the breakwater so if u can powerline anywhere in there u will catch fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:54am - May 16,19 
Yes , there is a definite date when power lining is over , just like at Navy pier where the perch stop biting at just the right time that the cheapies can get reduced parking :rotflmao .
Water temp. tells you when . When shore temps. are too hot for Salmon and Trout they will move off shore .
With that being said , there are years when the water warms up and shore fishing looks to be over . Then we get 2-plus days of 20 to 30 mile an hour west winds . This pushes the hot surface water out and cold water comes in underneath . You then can have some great fishing from shore till that changes .
Lake flip . This happens in summer when the hot surface water is heavier that the cold water underneath and the lake flips . Destroys my fishing patterns and scatters the bait and fish . Sometimes the fish will cruse by the shoreline , not a high percentage fishing trip but still possible to catch fish t that time .

Hope that helps.

Captain Bill .

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:55pm - May 16,19 
Are we at that point as of today?

Haven't got anything in about a week.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:33pm - May 16,19 
bill1 wrote:
Lake flip . This happens in summer when the hot surface water is heavier that the cold water underneath and the lake flips .

Hot water heavier than cold?

The lake flip as I'm familiar with it has to do with the thermocline or lack of one. In spring as top water warms and the warmer lighter water form a layer at the surface. When that layer is thick and warm enough a thermocline sets up between the warmer top water and the lower colder water. The layers of water because of density differences don't mix easily. As top water begins to cool later in the year the temp differences aren't large enough to maintain the thermocline. Winds, waves ECT.. start mixing - flipping the layers.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:20pm - May 16,19 
Hot water is lighter than cold . If you have 1million gallons of cold water and 2 million gallons of warm water which weights more ?

CB

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:36pm - May 16,19 
Your spring shore fishing is a tricky business. Up until April 1st. you have a pretty boat free lake . You still have Leo's running drills .
Biggest problem I have with shore fishing is having lines run over .
So we are back at water temp. plus weather . With the cold springs we have been having fishing starts later in the year . You may get a week or 2 in March but then the harbors open . April boat traffic plus people walking on the shore make fishing a chore and no longer fun for me . One time had 3 of us working on a line and still had people try to ride bicycles between us . I boat fish and respect the shoreline , sadly many do not and it only takes one to cut all your lines .
Now is it over . One last time and I will type real slow so you get it . Check the water temp.
Coho may be found in water temperatures from 45 to 60 degrees F., with a peak feeding temperature at 54 degrees F.
http://www.salmonoid.com/index.html
For me the season ends when boat traffic starts .

Fair winds Captain Bill

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:26am - May 17,19 
bill1 wrote:
Hot water is lighter than cold . If you have 1million gallons of cold water and 2 million gallons of warm water which weights more ?

CB

2 million gallons of water will weigh more than 1 million no matter what temp. So what does that statement have to do with "lake flip? The warm water layer of lake Michigan probably never gets close to 1x1 let alone 2x1 with cold.

Last edited by rodm on 12:40am - May 17,19, edited 1 time in total.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:30am - May 17,19 
bill1 wrote:
One last time and I will type real slow so you get it .
Fair winds Captain Bill

:bigyuck :rotflmao

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:15pm - May 17,19 
rodm wrote:
bill1 wrote:

CB

2 million gallons of water will weigh more than 1 million no matter what temp. So what does that statement have to do with "lake flip? The warm water layer of lake Michigan probably never gets close to 1x1 let alone 2x1 with cold.

I think he was confusing density and weight, which are two very different things.

Board index » Lake Michigan » Shore Fishing the Big Pond
Jump to: