Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:40am - May 14,19 
Picking up a boat Friday. It's a 2015 Lund, 41 hours on it. Merc 150 xl. When I started it last week at the dealer (with muffs) it started up great, pissed water great, etc. I noticed there is about a 1/2 tank of gas in it.

What should I do about the gas? Not sure when the last time it was run on a lake so I assume the gas has been sitting there for at least 6 months. So do I run some seafoam in there? something else?

I'll top it off on Friday with ethanol free gas but considering I've never owned a boat before I wanted to see if someone here could lend some advice.

thanks!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:14am - May 14,19 
If you're worried about it, drain it and burn it in your truck.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:26am - May 14,19 
I have several toy's i do this every year i put them away for the winter or summer with half tanks then when i bring them out of storage i fill them all the way up that way you bring the octane back up work's great every time i have never had a problem i do stabilize the half tank before i put them away and i always put the additive in on my last trip out for the season so it works its way into the entire fuel system hope this helps

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 11:26am - May 14,19 
The question is was the fuel stabilized. If you are unsure might be best to drain it. You can check maybe the fuel filter for the color of the fuel. Clear or yellow is a good possibility it wasn't stabilized but if it has a red, green, or blue tint its from stabil so your probably good. Seafoam, the clear stabil, and some others are all clear so no way to tell just by looking. 6 months isnt the end of the world if that's what it really was but maybe previous owner filled the tank 2 winters back and last year only used a half tank and didnt top off which even with stabilizer you still may have issues.

If it was me with no history I would just drain it and start over. Not a hard thing to do and a good time to replace the fuel bulb and add a fuel water separator if it doesn't already have one. On Facebook Marketplace you can find 50 gallon drums for $20 to drain into.

If you do decide to not drain it I would fill with premium to level off any lost octane.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:11pm - May 14,19 
thanks for the feedback. freaking out here a little. it's been a dream of mine since I was about 20 to pull the trigger on a boat like this.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:16pm - May 14,19 
Just do what i said it will be just fine if you feel the need to drain it my auto repair shop will take it we use it to thin out the oil in are waste oil furnace we burn it

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:40pm - May 14,19 
JAWZON wrote:
Just do what i said it will be just fine if you feel the need to drain it my auto repair shop will take it we use it to thin out the oil in are waste oil furnace we burn it

thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:39pm - May 14,19 
Many years ago, they messed up the gas. Doesn't last very long nowadays. I got into the habit of adding stabilizer every time I get gas. Since then, no problems. It really paid off a few years back when still in fishing season we had some family things pop up and I could not get out. The boat sat all winter no problem.

Board index » The Tackle Box » Boats And Motors
Jump to: