Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:42pm - May 7,18 
I know I asked you fellas to keep me posted on the Duper with your stories since my knees have been terrible but I felt better (don't know why) so I grabbed the 3wt fly rod and did some casing on the west branch, Sunday evening. Used a wooly bugger (my favorite ammo) and spent about 2 hours on one pool. Again, getting the bugger deep was my answer to getting fish; caught 3 in the 12 inch range and lost another 2 (no lunkers to be sure). My casts were upstream at a 45 degree angle and it seemed that the smallmouth were hitting the lure swimming downstream so the hits were not hard, Also probably why my strikes did not set in the 2 missed fish.
The wind proved a problem but I also took it as a learning experience (but I had choice words for it as it gusted).
I could have stayed a little longer since the cool water made the knees feel better but I also had to account for that long walk back to the car wearing wading boots.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:57pm - May 7,18 
Well at least you got to scratch that itch Chuck.

Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 08:17pm - May 7,18 
Glad you got to enjoy some relief by fishing, great therapy. Do your fly hooks run upward or downwards? Wonder if that may cause a miss.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:05pm - May 8,18 
Being wooly buggers, everytime I tested them in the water (mainly to see that the rubber legs are splayed outward) the hooks ride downward. Maybe blame the guy on the end of the rod a little? But now that I think of it, almost every smasllouth I do land, the hook is in the upper jaw.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:06pm - May 9,18 
Yeah, that's good for what ails ya. Nothing like bronze colored pain relievers.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:44pm - May 10,18 
Went out this afternoon, after the household chores, again with the fly rod. Just the opposite; the right knee was killing me and I did not get one bite after about 2 hours. So, knowing of that long walk to the car, I gave up. Same tactics and a little earlier in the same location but nada. Well, ther's always next time.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:25pm - May 23,18 
How did you get the wooly bugger down on the fly in moving water? Weighted leader? Just picked up fly fishing last year and have had better luck on clouser minnows and unweighted streamers.

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: