Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:42pm - Jun 9,16 
Good Afternoon Fellow CTAs,

I need suggestions on what to do to increase the number of bass seen and or caught on a local private lake. Traditionally, bass are not hard to find or catch on the lake. Usually, crank baits or jerk baits are the way to go, and it would not be uncommon to catch 10-20 bass in a couple hours. This year, however, we just have not been able to get the bass to bite, maybe 9-10 bass for the year even though we fish it at least once a week. The lake is 10ft at its deepest, averages about 4ft, and fishes like a big pond. Let me know your suggestions since we have not been able to figure the bass out this year. The association stocked a bunch of 12-13" pike this spring, and the muskies stocked a few years ago are now getting to the 30-34" class. Could the stocking of other predators really have effected the bass that much? I would rather be fishing muskies or pike, but the muskies are few and far between and just as likely to hit the bass baits, and the pike are not at the size class where I want to target them specifically.

Please let me know how you would approach this situation. I have tried the drop-shot, chatter-baits, spinners, and the dreaded wacky worm with no luck.

Pannie Popper

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:00pm - Jun 9,16 
senko, wacky style

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:58pm - Jun 9,16 
I agree with mops7 the bass at the golf course where I fish have gone from an open water bite to hanging tight in the weeds and ambushing anything that goes by.I'll drop a wacky with just a hook no weight in any open pocket or weededge and they shoot out like a rocket.Also they might be hiding from all those toothy critters.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:53am - Jun 10,16 
Here's a really interesting perspective on stocking toothy critters in ponds: http://www.bassresource.com/fish_biology/pike.html
Not saying that's your issue, but it's interesting.

If worming isn't your thing, try working your spinnerbait into the weed pockets. The spinnerbait bite has been good for me so far this spring. If fatheads or bluegill are the forage, add some purple. I've caught a lot of bass on a purple 3/16 crappie spinner when nothing else seems to work.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:05am - Jun 22,16 
Finally figured out a pattern that is producing. I did end up going to plastics. Pulled out the old ribbon-tail worms and bullet sinkers to Texas rig. I have caught 14 bass in the last two trips.

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Board index » Lake Michigan » Bass
Jump to: