Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:58am - Jan 15,15 
http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/director/Do ... ry2015.pdf

I believe Marc Miller was an excellent Director. Restoring lost revenue is no small feat.

Jim

Captain Jim Nelligan

Twitter @SUIllinois

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:31pm - Jan 15,15 
I don't know much about IDNR politics and his tenure in office. Being an out of stater who comes down to soft water perch, I think he he sure missed the boat on that one. You got the only viable perch populations left in LM. In my estimation it made no sense to not close the season during the major spawning period and open it up in July when it has far less impact. I look at it this way, you gotta have perch around in july to catch them. Maybe Marc like any other buearucrat, just circummed to the many outside pressures of the job.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:17pm - Jan 15,15 
I think that Indiana and Michigan have far more viable populations of perch left. The July, male perch at Cal Park are the pelagic fish from the other 2 states. The season should be closed in March/April/May in Indiana and Illinois. That ensures spawning rites back to the fish.
The Dr.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:31pm - Jan 15,15 
imo spawning is not the major issue. It has more to do with the lack of food that the young perch need to eat and survive. commercail fishing had a bigger impact than anglers :

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:48pm - Jan 15,15 
Good luck to Mr. Miller in his future endeavors. We can all criticize from the outside, sitting on our living room couches...
He did his best. And he's had quite a few accomplishments over the last 6 years. But naturally, as humans, we win some and we lose some. And I'm sure it doesn't help when you have thousands of voices coming at you from different directions, telling you 'exactly how' to fix the problem.

Brace yourselves... The Great Perch Debate is coming...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:34pm - Jan 15,15 
you are right bfb everyone makes mistakes

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:24pm - Jan 15,15 
I wonder what the majority of the forage base is for the dinks in the Calumet River? I am thinking that very few informed anglers would disagree that spawning is not part of the issue. What happened in Waukegan? Lack of food and or combination of too many guys going out and taking double limits. I am quite certain that there is a measurable amount of guys who live within a short drive of Pastrick taking double limits home. That is a bigger part of the problem. Some anglers just care about the short term.

Last edited by dr of fishingology on 06:31pm - Jan 15,15, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:27pm - Jan 15,15 
thats a good question

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:53pm - Jan 15,15 
It will be interesting to see and meet the new DNR appointments when they are made. I am an SU member and also a part of the Illinois Musky Alliance. We had good relationships with the fisheries appointments. Quinn was able to get the DNR properly funded. I hope that does not change and the new appointments take the ball and run.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:47pm - Jan 15,15 
I don't know much about what he did for fishing but I couldn't be happier that he is gone for deer hunting. He had absolutely no idea how to manage a deer herd and has it in a downward spiral right now. We were the only state in the midwest to not make significant changes to license numbers this year and our deer herd will continue to hurt because of it. I'm quite excited to see who Rauner brings in. No matter what, he couldn't bring anyone that could do any worse than Miller.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:54pm - Jan 15,15 
I guess if you have a large number of anglers targeting them during spawn and poaching it can contribute to a big lost, My point is, is if we had more plankton or whatever it is that they eat we would not have a declining population for the whole lake. i was read some thing in the Milwaukee journal that when the dnr netted perch off of milwaukee they only got 300 perch instead of the thousands in past years. You do have a a good point, but i think that it is contributing to the food loss making it even worst. I was also talking about shore fisherman instead off boat fisherman, we dont really put a huge dent in the population like the mussels do. I could also add that commercial fisherman also did alot of damage harvesting over 2 million pounds of perch annually for over a hundred years

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:36pm - Jan 15,15 
The decline of the perch population can be blamed on the over harvesting of perch, especially during spawn, and the detrimental effects that the mussels have on the ecosystem of the lake. One doesn't effect it more than the other. They both have the same end result; less perch. Its a "perfect storm". It's unfortunate, but it is the case unfortunately.

Sponsor
Sponsor

Post Posted: 05:27am - Jan 16,15 
I have not fished lake michigan for awhile,so not sure what the problem is. I can tell you this. When you pulling up a fish out of water deeper than 30ft their toast. When I see posts of sorting fish out of deep water I'm not sure people know what they are actually doing. They might swim away but their gonna die because their swim bladder is toast. Proof of this was on the Mississippi when they closed the dams to protect the sauger from getting caught in deep water. The fishery rebounded nicely. Might be something to look at!

Team Ezeestep
Member, APCA

Board index » Clubs Forums » Salmon Unlimited Inc. Club Forum
Jump to: