Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:04am - Jun 29,14 
I have been thinking about X Bows for a few yrs. now . I think that they would be just fun to shoot . I also hunt the late archery season , where X Bows are legal weaponry , in Ill. I have , in the past , been out in the cold / snow , and had opportunities and have had an increadably hard time drawing my compound .

I guess that I was just wondering if anyone here uses an X Bow and had any success , or stories , good / bad to share .

Good Luck and Safe Trips ,,, Walldady . >>###}->

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:13am - Jun 29,14 
I have been using one for some years now. I am disabled and really can't pull a bow anymore. So I applied for a disabled permit. I really like mine to shoot . I shoot RAGE broadheads and can honestly say that every deer but one fell with in eye site. I shoot a 10 point and have been very happy with performance and accuracy.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:13am - Jun 29,14 
My dad too up crossbow hunting about 5 years ago and really likes it. We have a small urban spot by my parents house that he set up a ground blind with an office chair and once October rolls around and the weather is right, he is out there 3 to 4 nights a week hunting. He's had pretty good success over the year, every year taking at least one deer. It nice because he has two main shooting lanes, 18 yards and 15 yards so he doesn't have to worry about adjustments.

I believe he bought his on Ebay for about $250 and so far it has performed well. I would say the only bad shot he had was a liver shot and the deer went about 150 yards, other than that, they have all fallen in sight which is max about 40 yards.

I think the only problem he ever had was when he had a basket rack 8 point come in at 7 yards and when he brought his crossbow up the arrow must have been unseeded by about a half an inch so it didn't fire. He knew instantly what had happened but by the time he had it fixed the buck was out of his shooting lane. Bad mistake to make but he killed that buck a week later so it wasn't too bad.

If you can't draw a bow back during the late season, I highly recommend one. I'd look for one of the nicer ones but I don't think you have to get one of the $1000 models, many of the cheaper ones are just fine, just not too cheap.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:56am - Jul 6,14 
Well , I did it . I purchased an XBow . It's a Horton Hawk SL w / Red Dot Scope . Prob 8 yrs. old and not very used at all . My guy just put a new string on it last yr. Case , 2 doz. bolts , broadheads , target tips , and a Blk/Wht Block target . $100. I could not pass up that deal . I shot it once and it seemed very fast , but a little noisy . Maybe its so fast , the noise doesn't matter . Are there noise suppressors for XBows ?

Good Luck and Safe Trips ,,, Walldady ,,, >>#>>}->

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:19am - Jul 6,14 
Walldady wrote:
Well , I did it . I purchased an XBow . It's a Horton Hawk SL w / Red Dot Scope . Prob 8 yrs. old and not very used at all . My guy just put a new string on it last yr. Case , 2 doz. bolts , broadheads , target tips , and a Blk/Wht Block target . $100. I could not pass up that deal . I shot it once and it seemed very fast , but a little noisy . Maybe its so fast , the noise doesn't matter . Are there noise suppressors for XBows ?

Good Luck and Safe Trips ,,, Walldady ,,, >>#>>}->

Sure do. Limbsaver is one style.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:14pm - Jul 6,14 
Depending on the length of your shots, I wouldn't worry too much. Those bolts go at such a high rate of speed I don't worry much about my father's shots under 25 yards. He has never seen a deer jump the string. If you are going to be shooting over 30 then you might want to look into something but crossbows are noticeably louder than regular compound bows.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:17pm - Jul 6,14 
The X Bow is SCREAMIN LOUD compared to my Mathiews Switchback . It was very fast tho . I'll have to look into silencer stuff .,,,,,,,,,,,,, THANKS

Good Luck and Safe Trips ,,, Walldady >>#>}->

Board index » Game Bag » Sticks & Strings
Jump to: