Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:45pm - Nov 3,13 
I have been out every afternoon this week. The bucks are starting to chase, but the does aren't ready yet. The bucks have been showing interest in calls and scents.
I have seen several bucks which I consider shooters(over 150), but none have presented me with a ethical shot. Saturday afternoon I had a 150-160-inch buck across a shallow river from me. He was beginning to walk away so I hit the doe in heat can. He turned but wouldn't commit. I blew the grunt tube and he immediately began to come towards me. He came just to the edge of the river but wouldn't cross. He stayed there for several minutes, but no matter what I threw at him he wouldn't cross.
On a different note, Thursday I observed some disturbance in the river. I saw two huge snapping turtles fighting or mating. I wasn't sure what they were doing, but it went on for about a 1/2 hour. Very Cool! Yesterday I discovered what they were up to. A coyote came along the river and stopped about 35 yards away. I let an arrow fly just over his back. He ran about ten yards and came right back. I let another arrow fly, and this time I was on the mark. When I recovered the arrow I saw a large snapping turtle dead in the water. I guess I got my answer to what they were doing.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:02pm - Nov 3,13 
I second the rut action. I saw a small buck running after 2 does but they wanted nothing to do with him. Nice coyote but is he missing his tail or is that just the picture.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:52am - Nov 4,13 
He is missing his tail. It's a shame because he has a beautiful coat, but we have a bad problem with the coyotes in the area so I decided to take him.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:29am - Nov 4,13 
Nice work on the coyote! I've observed the same: lots of bucks cruising during day light and responding to grunt calls. Good luck!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:28pm - Nov 4,13 
Congrats on the coyote!

I'll be heading back down south tomorrow. Weather looks iffy tomorrow night, then rain all night Tuesday/Wednesday morning. If thats the case, I'll probably hunt Tuesday if the rain isn't too bad, take WEdnesday morning off and be sure that the second that rain stops Wednesday I'll be in my stand. I think once that front comes through Wednesday it is going to be on. Cold front after some warm weather and rain should get them going!

Board index » Game Bag » Sticks & Strings
Jump to: