Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:10pm - May 23,12 
My FOID expires in October. Terrible timing. The law say the ISP will send me a letter sixty days prior to its expiration, and I should get my new card within thirty days of sending my check,

I don't trust this. And I don't want to miss hunting season because my application is sitting on a desk somewhere or because they laid off the guy that carries the mail or whatever.

So, since the painfully easy step of renewing online is not possible, do folks think it's a good idea to just fill out a new application? There is no "renew box" on the application (because that, too, would be too easy), but I am thinking when they enter the info they would figure it out.

I filled out their email form, but no reply.

-Will Rogers

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:15pm - May 23,12 
This happened to a friend and he called the ISP who told him to carry his expired card and the cancelled check and he'd be fine if he was checked.
YMMV

Tom

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:04pm - May 23,12 
I just filled out the new application and got mine in less than a month, lost a little time on a renewal but did not want to take a chance of not getting it in time for hunting season.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:12pm - May 23,12 
I filed for my renewal in Late April, they cashed my check on the May 4th and I still dont have the new card (23 may)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:04pm - May 23,12 
Fill it out and send it ASAP! Mine also expired in October, sent all the info in November, it took 12 weeks, my bride got her 1st FOID that was mailed the same date as mine in 4 weeks..........there's no rhyme or reason WTF takes them soooo long..........

Support Staff

Post Posted: 06:58pm - May 23,12 
Got mine in a month. Get in asap but you should be fine

Ignorance and Apathy, I don't know and I don't Care. W.C. Fields

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:33pm - May 23,12 
I have mine sent off from a local gun shop I do business with.The guy takes my pic,I fill in the usual form ,and off in the mail it goes.Got it back in 4 weeks.Learned something new too,the newly submitted pic was not the one used on the new card,but rather the exact pic that is also on my IL state drivers license?Also they are 10 year licenses now too.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:57am - May 25,12 
good thing to do if you are sending it in yourself is to pay with a money order or cashiers check. That way they don't sit on your request until the check clears.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:36am - May 25,12 
I went through the renewal ringer last year. After 6 weeks, and my check being cashed, I called to check on it. Guy says....." Oh look, here it is. I'll get that out in a week" And sure enough.... I had it on the 7th week. Who knows how long it would have just sat there. So, if you don't see it in 30 days...... call and tell them to get a move on. And I agree with Jake..... whats the point of including a picture if they just use your license pic anyways?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:44pm - May 27,12 
Ok #1 get it out as soon as possible so you don't have to worry about not getting it on time. #2 Just because the State of Illinois says they are going to do something don't believe them and look out for #1 WHICH IS YOU!!! #3 Since we have this lovely system we call FOID in this messed up state the pic is for ID purposes when you send it to Springfield. They run your back ground check and when it comes up clean they check your picture against the data base for IL DL to see if it's a match no match no card. People were abusing the system and sending in fake pics to get FOIDS in the hands of Peeps who don't deserve them NON-LAW ABIDING CITIZENS. #4 As for the time it takes to get them back I'd be happy at a month. In the past if you let your card expire it took up to 6 months to get it back!! Now I am hearing anywhere from 1-3 months for renewals or First timers, but DO NOT let them Expire!!! Just because its valid until November doesn't mean you have to wait untill then to get them renewed. I used to do the foid card process for people when they came in to pick up or transfer firearms from me but the calling and nagging got to the point it's not worth it!!!!!! So if you have had a new picture taken at the DMV in the past 10 years your Pic is on file and they will use it and not the one you sent in. So save the $10 on the passport photo and take a pic of yourself with a digital camera develope it, cut it to size and send it in.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:09pm - May 27,12 
I got mine in a month just get it in asap and u should be fine

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:25am - May 28,12 
Do not bother calling the ISP. You will be put on hold for a loooong time and may even get disconnected so you can start youur wait all over again.

If your card is not in your hand after the 30 th day as prescribed by Illinois state law IMMEDIATELY call your state rep and tell him or her about it. If your rep does their job you should have the card in less than a week. When you get your card be sure to call your rep and say THANK YOU.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:39am - May 29,12 
Thanks to all for sharing your experience. The consensus seems to be to just send in a new registration form, rather than chance waiting on the renewal.

I am also going to use a money order rather than a personal check to speed up the process on their end.

-Will Rogers

Board index » Game Bag » Guns, Slugs, Shot, & Black Powder
Jump to: