Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:35pm - Mar 31,17 
Just curious if any of you guys use "plastic" worms on the harness or do you only use real crawlers ?

If so, which style or brand do you guys like ?? Any advice would be appreciated

Just looking for something to add to my bag. Taking a trip to Canada this spring.

Thanks John

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:50pm - Apr 1,17 
Berkley GULP crawlers work pretty well on a harness. If you're going to Canada and live bait is an issue, I would load up on GULP crawlers and minnows.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:08pm - Apr 1,17 
Uncle Josh brand imitation pork crawlers work really well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:56pm - Apr 1,17 
If you can use crawlers use crawlers. Will out fish plastics on harness 100% of the time.

Sponsor
Sponsor

Post Posted: 05:00am - Apr 2,17 
Even tho I'm not a live bait guy, the real thing is hard to beat.

Team Ezeestep
Member, APCA

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:32am - May 3,17 
I have not done alot of comparisons but what i can say about gulp is that when fish eat it, including walleyes, they are not at all shy about eating it, fish hammer it.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:44am - May 3,17 
I have always preferred 2 leeches over a crawlers, of course there are times for each. Because of this, quite a few times I have used 2 black twistertails, one on each hook, and have caught alot of fish. But I am not really a live bait fisherman and use harnesses about 5% of the time.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:26am - May 3,17 
When fishing Walleye in Canada we usually did well with sassy shads & Twister tails on jigheads. Mostly in orange, char or brown. Having minnow trailers never hurt either.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:27pm - May 3,17 
Leeches will improve your hookup over plastic 3-1 to 5-1 depending on their mood that particular day. We will fish leeches in the boat sometimes with camp guides who use minnows and it is about all even. The guides fun fish w us some days after their day is done at supper. You will pay a pretty penny for bait in Canada. Leeches are so much more resilient than minnows both in terms of catching multiple fish and staying alive when the day turns warm. I'll make another suggestion, the vast majority of our group uses Northland Gumdrop Floaters most of the time (pink and chartreuse) . Rig the mainline through a bullet sinker to a good swivel then 18" to 24" of say 8# mono then the floating jig in the largest size #1/0 hook. They are cheap and they slay walleye. 80+ percent of the time you will be wind drifting your walleye spots and they will out fish a jig except on calm periods when you can keep the jig vertical and then jigs are the ticket. Walleye will hold them that 1/2 second longer than a jig because they are soft and light and you'll have a better hook up percentage especially when you are holding a cold beverage in one hand. Our experience with crawlers in Ontario has been poor. First trip to Canada LJB?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:59am - May 4,17 
Grindstone..... second trip to Ontario !! I went last spring, I had a blast. We used jigs & live minnows mostly. I did try gulp minnows and they worked as well. Im just looking for more options in case they are not biting on jigs & minnows that day. Fishing 13 hrs from home I wanna have options lol. I'm also going in the fall, to another lake. The guys I'm going with there say char jig & twister tail is the ticket for eyes, pike & smallmouth. They claim that's all I need to bring. I'll have a box full of things to try :)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:42am - May 4,17 
SM? I do fish a jig and twister often. My son has often been crushing me on #3 Mepps plain no squirrel tail which adds too much buoyancy or lift. The groups standby SM lure and mine is wacky rigged Senko. Get a wacky tool it will save a ton of baits. It is a more finesse presentation and my son will be covering a lot of water with his inline spinner. Gold #3 is his go to. When the walleye are on the chew they nail the spinner as well. No place like Canada. Have a great trip.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:30pm - May 8,17 
How about gulp leeches ?

Board index » Species Specific » Walleye ~ Sauger
Jump to: