Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:28pm - May 24,19 
Musky Hunters!
Years ago, before I started to use the Solunar Tables, I became aware that most of my action came between the hours of 9:30 am and 3:30 pm. Why I thought? I just could not figure it out, so
I started to ask questions of some of the locals and other Musky Hunters. Finally a friend of mine read something about Solunar Tables, and he told me about them. At first I though he was just pulling my leg and I resisted the idea. Well, I thought what did I have to loose! I checked the tables and noted that without fail, there was a major feeding period around 10:00 AM when I caught my Muskies, and had most of my action….. This was the same story around 2:00 PM on many days.

I quickly learned that I did not have to break my ass getting to the boat launch at day break. All I needed was enough time to launch my boat and get to my first spot before 9:30 AM. You see, there are two majors and two minor periods every day. Most of the time the majors are at mid-morning and mid-afternoon. The minors are generally in the early morning and later on in the evening. Records show that most trophy Muskies are caught between the hours of 10:00 am and 2:00 pm. Most of the Musky hunters I knew at the time, including myself, pounded the water from day break to around nine or ten in the morning! Then they would get off the lake, slow down or just fish for another species of fish, in time to miss the 1st major of the day…..In many cases they would not get back on the lake until the evening hours, missing the second major of the day, as well. Makes a lot of sense, doesn’t it?

Now, when I fish for Muskies, I put in most of my efforts during the majors and relax at other times of the day. Isn’t Musky fishing trying enough without causing self inflected pain? There will be days when the Musky fishing will be better than one’s most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over working or just sitting home thinking about your next fishing trip!
Now days, I would rather catch a twenty pound KING!
Thanks for Looking…..Good Fishing!

Board index » Species Specific » Musky
Jump to: