Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:31pm - Sep 23,17 
Hi, we are travelling to Lake Vermillion in late October and I have been looking at various resorts on the lake. I already looked into http://pehrsonlodge.com/ and it looks nice but no restaurant or bar on site. Can anyone offer a recommendation?

Also I have been researching musky guides and these three names keep coming up:

Luke Ronnestrand
John Borovsky
Matt Snyder

Anyone else that we should check out?

Thanks so much for your help!

JK

Chitown-Angler

Location: Des Plaines, IL 185 Nitro, 150 Merc XR6, Silver/Green

Post Posted: 03:08pm - Sep 23,17 
Life of Riley!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:36pm - Sep 24,17 
I'm a big fan of Spring Bay Resort on Vermilion. Been going for 10+ years now. Though not on premises, the Landing restaurant is about 1/3 mile up the road. walk or take a camp golf cart. Father and son Joe and Steve run a great resort and Steve, if available, puts his gusts on his fair share of muskies. I think he guides only for resort guests. Ronnestrand, Snyder and Borovsky are all top shelf.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:31pm - Sep 24,17 
Good resorts listsd. Life of Riley is an older resort with older cabins but a.great operation. Alot of people stay at spring bay and love it too. Both are on the west side so you can head into Cook and eat. I stayed a bunch of times at glenwood lodge on the far east end. What i liked about it was when it got windy we could just stay on the north side of pine island and fish a ton of good spots and not be affected by big waves. If it wasn't really rough, big bay is a few minute boat ride to some of the best spots. They have a bar and some frozen pizzas. You can get to ely or tower in about the same amount of time to eat. Very modern nice cabins.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:41am - Sep 26,17 
I always rent a house. I just don't need any services a lodge provides. My boat at the dock in the back is all I need. Stayed on the west end last year. Restaurant was about about 1/2 mile up the road, but never went.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:59pm - Sep 30,17 
Karloutdoors wrote:
I'm a big fan of Spring Bay Resort on Vermilion. Been going for 10+ years now. Though not on premises, the Landing restaurant is about 1/3 mile up the road. walk or take a camp golf cart. Father and son Joe and Steve run a great resort and Steve, if available, puts his gusts on his fair share of muskies. I think he guides only for resort guests. Ronnestrand, Snyder and Borovsky are all top shelf.

I second Spring Bay Resort. Just got back an hr. ago. Cabins are top notch. Well stocked with plenty of utensils, grills (gas and charcoal), dishwasher, dish tv. Had a fall special going for $269 per person. Golf carts available if needed.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:56am - Oct 15,17 
We decided to stay at spring bay resort. I'll post a review when we return. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:50pm - Oct 19,17 
Vermilion Dam. Ed is one of the rare breed of resort owners that’s also an expert fisherman. His blog speaks for itself.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:56am - Nov 13,17 
Hi,

Thanks for all the great recommendations. We returned from the trip two weeks ago. Here's a recap:

Resort - Spring Bay Resort: Wonderful, clean, large cabin fully equipped. I don't know if all cabins up there are like this but this one had heat in the floors. The temperature was constant and comfortable the entire time. I would highly recommend this resort. Steve is the owner and also a Musky guide. Super nice guy but unfortunately was not available to guide that week.

Fishing Day 1 - Musky: the first day was sunny but a cold front had just move through the previous day, the back side of which brought steady winds of 20+ mph with gusts up to 40mph (recorded gust of 62mph at the local airport). Water temp 51 degrees. Hit it hard until 3:00 but did not even see a fish (except the guide did boat about a 24-incher on about the sixth cast). I sensed maybe the guide was getting a bit aggravated so he kind of "suggested" that we end the trip a bit early. I didn't have a huge issue with it considering the conditions, but overall it felt odd to me. Note that we stayed excusively on the West end of the lake that day I believe because it was close to the resort where we stayed.

Fishing Day 2 - Musky: Same guide as the previous day. We offered to meet the guide on the East end of the lake to save him some gas (the lake is 40 miles from end to end, so I am told), and to ensure we had an opportunity to fish the East side. Now we later find out that the East end is where he has seen all of the fish for the past few weeks (so why did we stick with the West end first day?). In any case we saw at least 5-6 different fish that day, at least one of them was 50 inch plus. Had two follows, and missed one hook set. Weather was partly cloudy and very light winds. Water temp was 50 degrees.

Fishing Day 3 - Musky: Constant steady rain in the morning, temps in the low 30's, wind sustained at 25mph. We decided not to try it. Later things calmed down a little bit (it stopped raining). I called the guide but he said too windy to cast. So we lost the entire day.

Fishing Day 4 - Walleye: Nice to have a break from the big lures, and we had a great time. Weather was 27 degrees, 25mph wind, and 5 inches of snow on the ground from the previous night, but it was our last day so what the heck. Water temps dropped to 48, which (apparently) is a good thing. Our guide Denny was awesome and managed to get us out of the wind and on a bunch of fish. He was incredibly knowledgeable as well, and I would confidently recommend him to anyone.

Guide Review:

Musky - Since this is a a negative opinion review, I won't name names, but if you are truly interested send me a PM. I've used a number of musky guides over the years, and granted they are a different breed. Believe me, I am not looking for a warm and fuzzy, just common courtesy and respect, not off-handed comments and slights. But at least we did see a few fish and had a chance at a 40 incher. Cost: $395/day.

Walleye, Pike, Perch, Smallmouth: Denny Van de Linde is the guide we used and he was exactly what you would expect in a guide. Knowledgeable, informative, conversational, funny, and most importantly he put you on fish. We had a great time in his boat and I would confidently recommend him to anyone. Cost: $400/day (and well worth it).

Hopefully this summary will be of benefit to the next person looking to check out Vermillion.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:16am - Nov 15,17 
If you had that kind of wind on day 1 you do not want to be on the east side at all. Vermillion can be tough for musky but you can be rewarded with a giant. The heydays of 15-20 years ago are no longer like any budding fishery, everything evens out.

The panfishing for crappie and bluegill is excellent on the west side.and worth the effort.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:34pm - Nov 15,17 
Agreed with ToddM. The only time I ever felt my safe return to shore was in jeopardy was on the east end of Big V. Including all my years on Lake Michigan.Started out innocently enough and then a front came screaming in. No significant clouds.No rain. W I N D!!!!!!! In 10 minutes we opted to head for shore from a reef complex in the middle off the east basin. Some scary schnidt for sure. Ended up heading for the Nearest point of refuge rather than fighting into the wind/waves just to get back to out resort. Smartest thing we could have done other than quitting 20 or so minutes sooner. Surely your guide was keeping you safe if not on fishable water.

Board index » Species Specific » Musky
Jump to: