Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:47pm - Jul 21,17 
SDS wrote:
If you only purchase 3 lures;
16oz Bull dawg
Double #10
Phantom soft tail 6" jerk bait

Colors depend on lake conditions.

What if you only have a M power (muskie) rod and a 200 series reel...
I like your selections BTW , but the first two are only being cast by my XH Omen on a bigger than 200 size reel.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:58pm - Jul 21,17 
Windy City wrote:

Nice Muskie from the chain PP, I spent most of my teenage years on the water there. The photo looks like the area between Marie and Grass or Marie and Channel...

I will have to find a way to get with Muskie Baits and get some of his handmade weapons into the arsenal! :thanks

You are not far off in your guesses . But that sweet spot remains a closely guarded secret. Not that there are any secret spots on Tha Chain, just 'secret ones' that pay off when it all comes together .
Within three hours myself and a guy who knows a hell of a lot more than me about muskie boated 4 , casting ,two each in the 40"+/- range and move 9 more each...two years ago in a tiny stretch.

Last edited by Musky Baits on 10:07pm - Jul 21,17, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:05pm - Jul 21,17 
We were both using nothing but single blade inlines , about 8's and black and silver.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:34am - Jul 22,17 
MB, for rods I have a StCroix MH 8'-6" Fast Legend Elite Muskie rod, and a Legend Xtreme 6'8" MH Fast. From what you seem to be saying the LXC68MHF is probably a no go for all but the lightest spinnerbaits or Bucktails?

For reels I have a Calcutta Conquest 400 and a Tranx 400HG. I am assuming these should do the job no problem.

Thanks for the input.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:16am - Jul 22,17 
Those two rod setups mentioned are fine, use the long rod for Bulldawgs & Double bladed buck tails and the short rod for jerk baits/throw back lures.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:28pm - Jul 22,17 
There's going to be an issue throwing a 16oz Dawg with a MH. Won't work.Check the The bait weight ranges and you'll see what I'm talking about...off the top of my head, while driving, I believe St. Croix's medium heavy range from 1 ounce to 4 ounces. That's the size lures your are looking to cast/ buy.
Depending on your gear ratios those two Reels should pull fine and take up enough for most musky baits and styles.

Last edited by Musky Baits on 06:26pm - Jul 22,17, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:05pm - Jul 22,17 
Yes the St. Croix muskie rod is for 3/4-3 ounce. I am guessing to light for the pounder rubber bodies.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:37am - Jul 23,17 
You're not really serious unless you have a few Supernatural Baits Headlocks in the boat.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... LqhpN-0lAw

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:59am - Jul 23,17 
Bulldawg wrote:
You're not really serious unless you have a few Supernatural Baits Headlocks in the boat.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... LqhpN-0lAw

The problem with Headlocks, for the OP, is they fact that their smallest bait is over 6oz. Way out of the range of his rods. Unless they have started making them smaller than 10".

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:11am - Jul 23,17 
If you really want BIG fish you need one of these:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:10am - Jul 24,17 
You could throw Spring BullDawgs no problem with your MH Musky rods since they are around 1.2oz.

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:38pm - Jul 29,17 
A lot of true and great advice given here. It's true that it is very dependent on time of year, water temp and clarity, depth, and natural forage base available.

On the other hand, musky are certifiably insane and are seemingly just as likely to attack a red and white bobber being reeled in on a Snoopy rod as they are the latest $40 trendy lure. Unpredictable bastards!

I have probably 100 musky lures and could throw half of them away because they haven't been wet in a decade. 750 is nuts! That is a man committed to his craft!

Long story short, get a couple of DC 10's - cannot go wrong with dark color skirts in any body of water. I like a nickel blade for sunny days and I LOVE painted blades against a dark skirt during low light (ssshhhhhhh....) Also - learned a tip from a guide on Vermilion. Bend the eyelet of the DC upward 45 degrees and it really makes the skirt pulsate.

I'd also get some type of swim bait/bulldawg. Medussas are really good too. Again, if the lake has a lot of shad or ciscoes or silvery colored forage, go with that. Perch and firetiger are good too.

And for topwater, I'd get a prop bait like a Whopper Plopper or Awaker and a "walk the dog" style lure. I've found that color makes no difference whatsoever on topwater. It's the commotion they're after. Calm water, a ton of crazy commotion not good.

Another tip: spend the money on a quality net and good pliers and learn how to land a fish properly. Not to toot my own horn too much, but I once landed a 46" musky by myself, that was hooked with all three trebles. Unhooked it, got pics, measured it, and released it to swim again - at 1am! Gotta stay calm, keep the fish in the water as much as possible, stay calm, and stay calm. And keep the fish IN the water. That's the key to a fish's survival. It took me another 30 minutes to get the hooks out of the net...lol.

I'll bet we could all tell some stories that didn't go so well like a bulldawg hook getting buried into the bone of my pinky finger. It's a dangerous deal landing a musky, gotta be prepared.

I'm sure there are a million youtube videos you can watch on the topic.

Catch and release and have fun and be safe!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:43am - Jul 30,17 
dacas1 wrote:
A lot of true and great advice given here. It's true that it is very dependent on time of year, water temp and clarity, depth, and natural forage base available.

On the other hand, musky are certifiably insane and are seemingly just as likely to attack a red and white bobber being reeled in on a Snoopy rod as they are the latest $40 trendy lure. Unpredictable bastards!

I have probably 100 musky lures and could throw half of them away because they haven't been wet in a decade. 750 is nuts! That is a man committed to his craft!

Long story short, get a couple of DC 10's - cannot go wrong with dark color skirts in any body of water. I like a nickel blade for sunny days and I LOVE painted blades against a dark skirt during low light (ssshhhhhhh....) Also - learned a tip from a guide on Vermilion. Bend the eyelet of the DC upward 45 degrees and it really makes the skirt pulsate.

I'd also get some type of swim bait/bulldawg. Medussas are really good too. Again, if the lake has a lot of shad or ciscoes or silvery colored forage, go with that. Perch and firetiger are good too.

And for topwater, I'd get a prop bait like a Whopper Plopper or Awaker and a "walk the dog" style lure. I've found that color makes no difference whatsoever on topwater. It's the commotion they're after. Calm water, a ton of crazy commotion not good.

Another tip: spend the money on a quality net and good pliers and learn how to land a fish properly. Not to toot my own horn too much, but I once landed a 46" musky by myself, that was hooked with all three trebles. Unhooked it, got pics, measured it, and released it to swim again - at 1am! Gotta stay calm, keep the fish in the water as much as possible, stay calm, and stay calm. And keep the fish IN the water. That's the key to a fish's survival. It took me another 30 minutes to get the hooks out of the net...lol.

I'll bet we could all tell some stories that didn't go so well like a bulldawg hook getting buried into the bone of my pinky finger. It's a dangerous deal landing a musky, gotta be prepared.

I'm sure there are a million youtube videos you can watch on the topic.

Catch and release and have fun and be safe!

Good stuff.
But ,as to the bolded, if night fishing or on dark days,
dark and black in particular will stand out better against a sky which is most likely not as dark in the fish' perception as the bait itself.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:07pm - Jul 31,17 
That is the common belief, and it makes 100% sense. I'm just going off experience. I do usually go with black, but for some reason I have had really good luck with orange of all colors at night. Can't explain it. Makes no sense at all, which is why I go back to my statement.

It's all about a correct commotion. Correct commotion. Too crazy, no good. Too calm, won't see it. You have to "match the hatch" so to speak on what a musky might attack at night on that particular body of water. They want to be enticed. They will only dance if you provide the right music.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:38am - Aug 1,17 
Thanks all for the good advise, I am well on my way to spending a small fortune on oversized species specific muskie lures! :thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:18am - Aug 1,17 
The 500HG is more reel than your MH rods need. That reel is good for picking up slack line quick for big baits like the pounder. Your rods will not throw baits that big. They will load up in the 8 with a double 10. The conquest is a good pairing for those rods.

Get some crane baits for twitching. Get some double 8 bucktails or somenof those bucktails with different sized blades. Black and silver, maybe a walleye and something with flourescent blades. Get a few gliders, the soft tail is a good option, i really like modivators from musky fix. Those rods could barely handle and are not even rated to throw a mag dawg. I like the twinkie from rubberhairy, it has a different body shape and a different fall. The standard dawg, medussa, twinkie, hardhead size will be ok. For topwater, you have a prop bait, get a husky sized hawg wobbler. There plenty of good deep diving cranks. I do not throw jerkbaits much. The ones i do throw would be next to impossible to get like a zalt or a tr twitcher.

Last edited by ToddM on 10:05am - Aug 1,17, edited 1 time in total.
 Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:19am - Aug 1,17 
dacas1 wrote:
That is the common belief, and it makes 100% sense. I'm just going off experience. I do usually go with black, but for some reason I have had really good luck with orange of all colors at night. Can't explain it. Makes no sense at all, which is why I go back to my statement.

It's all about a correct commotion. Correct commotion. Too crazy, no good. Too calm, won't see it. You have to "match the hatch" so to speak on what a musky might attack at night on that particular body of water. They want to be enticed. They will only dance if you provide the right music.

I totally get the right frequency/sound/vibration. That's why certain in-line , spinnerbait and umbrella blade configurations work better than others... pertaining to attraction.
Top water is by far the most fun option for a catch, but the connection ratio is obviously far lower than a bait that they can get a track on from a 360 degree angle. So if it's cloudy and/or dark out I'm using black. If I'm not using black , in general, then I am generally using some firetiger variant.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:56pm - Aug 1,17 
I have the rods covered. Besides the ones I currently have, there is an Omen XH 8'-1" (4-12 oz) and a St Croix 7'-6" XH (3-8 oz) inbound.

Along with a couple more reels. :winker

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:43pm - Aug 1,17 
Windy City wrote:
I have the rods covered. Besides the ones I currently have, there is an Omen XH 8'-1" (4-12 oz) and a St Croix 7'-6" XH (3-8 oz) inbound.

Along with a couple more reels. :winker

I have a couple of the Omen Blacks in 8'7". H and XH. Great bang for the buck and by far my least expensive muskie rod.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:23am - Aug 14,17 
Here are a few I make and use.

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Species Specific » Musky
Jump to: