Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:19pm - May 9,17 
Good Afternoon Fellow CTAs,

I have been itching to put a big fish on the boat since the ice melted away this year, but just haven't had the opportunity to make it happen. Saturday marked day 60 for fishing this year, but only day three of targeting the elusive musky. I was able to meet up with forum members Musky Baits, and Son-of-John to start my musky season.

We started the morning pounding known musky haunts with a spattering of glide baits, cranks and spinners (provided by Musky Baits). Towards the end of our first drift we had a slow follow on a spinner bait. The fish looked sick, like a zombie king in the harbor. He went to the depths once he saw the boat, but with a little work on the trolling motor we were able to find him again. He played cat and mouse with us for about a half hour, we'd find him make some casts and then he'd go into the depths of the lake only to come up again 30 yards up wind. We could run our baits near him on the right side and get no response, but if our bait ran within 6" of the left side of his face he'd slowly follow or make a half-hearted attempt to swipe at the bait. He moved on four different offerings, first on an umbrella rig on Musky Baits' rod, next on a spinner bait. First time I got his attention I was running a Super Believer in a ghost pattern, he followed all the way to the boat, but the wind pushed us over him before I could start a figure 8. Second time, I had him follow on an inline that I got off of Musky Baits. Again he followed to the boat, but the wind pushed us over him. As we were about to leave to let the fish rest, I bombed a cast out to the area I thought he might be and he was on after a couple cranks of the reel. The fish made a few headshakes, but did not put up much of a fight. He was thick and felt firm, but just looked like he was decaying. Son-of-John got a short video of the fish being netted and coming to boat side, the fish definitely had some energy left in him (is there a way to post a non-youtube video here?). After a measuring him (42") the fish was released, and swam away quickly after only a few seconds of being in the water.

Here is a picture of the right side of the fish, he was obviously blind in the right eye which contributed to him not moving on baits presented to him on that side.

Our boat was torn as to what we thought the cause of this fish's look was. On one side we thought that the fish may be sick or have a disease, on the other we thought that it may just be a fish at the end of its lifecycle dying.

After the zombie was released, we fished our way to another spot we know has held muskies in the past under similar conditions. No wake kept us fishing all the way there. Musky baits switched to a safety pin-style spinner, Son-of-John switched to an inline, and I kept the same bait on. About ten minutes in to fishing our second spot Musky Baits calls out “Fish On.” The fish inhaled his spinner right at boat side as he was going in to a figure 8. This healthy 37” musky had no chance at getting off before meeting the net.

Now, with two fish on the boat within an hour , we were grinding to get a fish per person for the trip. We fished our way to the next point, and Son-of-John had a fish swipe at his inline. The fish came back and followed on his next cast, but Son-of-John just couldn’t get the fish to commit. We fished for a few more hours with only one more flash. As we were making our way in to the channel to pull the boat Son-Of-John hooked up with this nice bass. At least we were all able to catch a decent fish for the trip. All fish came on baits the Musky Baits made.

Baits that moved fish:

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Last edited by Pannie Popper on 03:27pm - May 9,17, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:18pm - May 9,17 
Anyone have any theories as to why my fish looked like it was an extra on the Swimming Dead?

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:21pm - May 9,17 
Nice Fishin Bro

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:22pm - May 9,17 
definetly herpes

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:41am - May 10,17 
Pannie Popper wrote:
Anyone have any theories as to why my fish looked like it was an extra on the Swimming Dead?

Because it was sick. I can't imagine it trying to hit a bait, but if you say so. It could be too that after the spawn it was worn out. The blind right eye may account for not being able to hunt properly leading to poor health which is why it took so many tries to get it to hit. Bottom line is no matter what the cause the fish was very sick.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:24am - May 10,17 
blackjaw wrote:
Pannie Popper wrote:

Because it was sick. I can't imagine it trying to hit a bait, but if you say so. It could be too that after the spawn it was worn out. The blind right eye may account for not being able to hunt properly leading to poor health which is why it took so many tries to get it to hit. Bottom line is no matter what the cause the fish was very sick.

Sick? That may be the wrong term.
It was a male due to the combat wounds we saw. Males in The Chain only reach about 40" at the end of their life cycles. This one was 42". Obviously females get much larger.
If you notice, that fish is still fat. It's girth is fine and it's instinct to feed and reaction bite was there. I say so, and the two other guys on the boat experienced the same reactions. And, we obviously did not know the condition of the poor old guy until we pulled him from the far from gin clear water.
What I think we have is the equivalent to a nasty looking 100 year old fighting dude refusing to go down. The old guy even swam away very actively.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:23pm - May 11,17 
I think that fish has the hiv - or hooked up with some northern in the du page at one point. What it really needs is some of majic johnsons pills.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:05am - May 12,17 
The fish has some sort of disease. Fish should be well done with spawning so its hard to say male or female. Does not look like spawning scars. Was it beat up on both sides? Maybe it was caught and laid on boat carpet and most of the slime removed on that side.

I have caught several blind in one eye muskies. All healthy. It doesnt afcect them as much as we might think.

Profile WWW  

Board index » Species Specific » Musky
Jump to: