Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:16pm - Jul 17,15 
My six year old son and I are new to fishing in the last year. We have learned some things and caught some fish, but we get skunked a lot and outside of some small fish using a nightcrawler, we are not catching much. We generally fish lakes in Lake County, specifically Little Bear Lake in Vernon Hills.

In reading articles, posts and watching videos, there is obviously more to fishing than just putting a worm on your hook and casting out. Things like the structure of the lake, the water temperature, the regular temperature, the wind direction, what bait to use at the right time, colors of baits, etc, are all factors. This the area I lack knowledge on.

Below are some scenarios I was looking for some guidance on as far as what to use, colors of bait, etc. In general, we are looking for bass. Any help would be appreciated.

Hot, sunny 85-90 degree summer afternoon on a small lake. What should I be looking for on a lake and what types of baits and colors would give me the best chance of catching a fish?

Overcast, cloudy 65-75 degree day around 7pm at night on a small lake?

Sunny 70-80 degree day around 7pm at night on a small lake?

Cool 55-65 degree sunny day in the evening on a small lake?

Are there any general rules of fishing where certain colors and baits work better in cooler temps? At night? During the day? Any information you can share with me would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Tom

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:31pm - Jul 17,15 
In preserve lakes, stick to minnows, because these fish see lures day in and day out.
If you want to fish with lures, go to a bigger lake like busse.
If you want to catch fish with lures (bass), then go to a local subdivision pond. Some will skunk you, but most will be good for 12 inch bass minimum.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:29pm - Jul 17,15 
Outside temperature would be less of a concern to me than water temp, water clarity and cloud cover.

The less visibility the water the darker the lure color (black and blue), clear water go with lighter natural colors (green pumpkin, whites, light blue). Green pumpkin is probably the best all around color for plastic baits you can find.

Looking at Little Bear Lake on satellite photos the first areas that caught my attention would be around the bridges. They probably have some sort of rock or concrete bases which should act as structure for the bass and provide shade during the sunny days.
It also looks to be lacking in cover/structure near the shoreline shoreline but if you can find the edge of weeds or near lillypads those could be good spots.

Evenings would probably give you better results here as the fish move up towards the shoreline chasing the bait fish. Small crankbaits, senkos, or spinnerbaits fished around the bridges or the points should hopefully produce some fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:04pm - Jul 17,15 
I'll add this to.....
Go outside your zone and fish new spots:
Try shabbona with a guide
Cast for Skamania Steelhead from Michigan City Pier with crank baits and spoons.
4season angler got it spot on..
I'll add this to: cast shoreline to catch fish later in the day and get sunglasses to spot the fish more easily.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:08pm - Jul 17,15 
Polishangler5 wrote:
In preserve lakes, stick to minnows, because these fish see lures day in and day out.
If you want to fish with lures, go to a bigger lake like busse.
If you want to catch fish with lures (bass), then go to a local subdivision pond. Some will skunk you, but most will be good for 12 inch bass minimum.

although some lakes do not allow the use of minnows for bait and uou should never dump left over live minnows in the water.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:22pm - Jul 17,15 
Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate it. Little Bear Lake does have some bridges but there are not a lot of rock structures outside of a few areas. I have found a nice drop off point that we have caught some catfish, perch and some small bass. Most of those were caught with a nightcrawler on a bobber or a nightcrawler at a very slow reel in speed. Stop and go action. It is a great lake for the purpose of taking my son fishing since we can walk and we both want to learn how to catch fish.

A few follow-ups:

1. If I use live minnows, do I reel them in quickly, slowly, stop and go? Or do I use a bobber with them?
2. With regards to the small crankbaits, do you have an example of one I should be looking at or using? How deep should they be diving? How quickly should I reel them in?
3. Do you have any recommendations on a few baits that would work when it is bright and clear and also a few for when it is dark and overcast? The coloring schemes you mentioned earlier are very helpful. Thank you very much!
4. I have never once caught a fish on a rubber worm yet I hear people catch bass with them all the time. What is the key to catching a bass on a rubber worm? Are some better worms better to use than others? 10 inch rubber worms better? Texas rig?

Thank you again for the help. This is genuinely appreciated. My son and I are catching some fish but not a lot and have a lot to learn. This forum has been helpful and your responses have been helpful as well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:32pm - Jul 17,15 
Here's a tip Tom, it may interest you, it may not. Learning to fish is a trial and error process that takes years, on the water and reading, with a lot of tackle purchases along the way. If you want to speed the learning curve consider fishing day or half day with a local guide. Tell him you're more interested in learning than catching the most fish. A good guide can teach you a lot in a few hours and definitely give you confidence in one of two techniques that will catch you fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:52pm - Jul 17,15 
Handler wrote:
Here's a tip Tom, it may interest you, it may not. Learning to fish is a trial and error process that takes years, on the water and reading, with a lot of tackle purchases along the way. If you want to speed the learning curve consider fishing day or half day with a local guide. Tell him you're more interested in learning than catching the most fish. A good guide can teach you a lot in a few hours and definitely give you confidence in one of two techniques that will catch you fish.

I would definitely be interested in that. Are there guides that help from the shore? I do not own a boat and while it would be great to go out on a boat it would not help me in my endeavours to be a better shore fisherman. Any suggestions on a guide for shore fishermen would be appreciated.

Thanks Handler!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:41pm - Jul 17,15 
1. Minnows under a bobber. Look up how to rig a slip bobber. This will let you quickly adjust from shallow to deep. Just let it float out there near the drop off or very slow stop and go back in.
2. Rapala shad rap or Berkley flicker shad are two good starter baits that will catch fish year round. You want to buy the size that will allow you to run near the bottom, even ticking the bottom. These are reaction baits so you don't want to go very slow. Vary the speeds until you find one that works. Add a twitch with your rod tip or brief pause occasionally.
3. What is the visibility of the water? How far down can you see a bait. Green pumpkin plastic bait is great all around and will work in both those conditions. Calais is tough to beat black back white sides or perch pattern.
4. 5" senko Texas rigged or wacky rigged. Stay away from the 10" worm if you'll be mainly fishing little bear or other small lakes. Another good option is the zoom trick worm on shakey had jig. Also 3-5" twister tail on a jig had is very simple to use and catches fish.
5. I visit family and friends in the northwest suburbs from time to time. If it lines up that I have a little time to fish next time I'm there maybe I could meet you at the lake.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:57pm - Jul 17,15 
Thanks for the tips. I'm not very good at determining the bottom depth or how quickly the water goes down. I've looked at maps and have some spots but I don't know exactly how deep I am when I'm fishing.

The water at Little Bear Lake is not very clear. I can see down by shore about three feet out but that's about it. I would venture to guess by where I'm fishing it's 5-8ft. Is there a way to do this?

I will look for some of these baits next time I go to Bass Pro in Gurnee. Are the jig heads you are referring to a specific color or weight? If I am using that exact presentation with a jig head and 3-5in.twister tail, would I throw it in relatively close and jig it, lift it up and down every few seconds? Do I let the bait go to the bottom, settle and then jig? Would I use a bobber in this scenario?

I think the idea of a slip bobber might help me out a lot. Thanks for the idea. I'm sure I can learn how to do that on YouTube or something. Is the idea of a slip bobber to simply adjust the bait to make sure it gets to the bottom all the time?

As for the minnow and slip bobber, would I hook the minnow through the mouth and up or hook it in the middle of the minnow? Are there any places near Vernon Hills that sell minnows?

If you are around ever and want to fish let me know. I'd love to learn from any experienced anglers out there.

Thanks
Tom Wille

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:23am - Jul 18,15 
All good advice from everyone. 4season Angler gave some good detailed info, couldn't have said it any better. It's good to have a home lake but as someone else said, branch out a little. There are alot of good preserve lakes in lake county that you can fish. Fishing different lakes helps add to your experience and also speeds up the learning curve.
You may find some techniques work better or worse on different waters and conditions and then developed theories as to why which is the beginning of learning how to pattern fish. If you're looking for a guide for inland lake bass fishing check out Jimmy t's guide service - 847-331-7537. https://m.facebook.com/pages/Jimmy-Ts-G ... 8038640839. He's chock full of information.

Alex

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:10am - Jul 18,15 
Just wanted to add that Flukemaster on youtube has some great instructional/educational videos on bass fishing. You and your son may enjoy watching some of those.

Alex

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:31am - Jul 22,15 
Avery good lake in Lake County to fish with your child is Independence Grove in Libertyville. It is a catch and release only lake, but has a decent amount of fish. Fish the back area where the submerged trees are with either crawlers or worms. You will catch a little bit of everything there. You can even rent boats there if you want to. Check your PM's as well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:29am - Aug 21,15 
It's been a while since I last posted but wanted to share that my kids and I had a great night of fishing on Wednesday night in Vernon Hills. Over the course of 20 minutes we hauled in our three biggest fish of the summer. All largemouth bass and it made all the fishing we have done this summer worthwhile. I am going to try and post some pictures on here. I am guessing these are 3-4lbs, but I did not have a scale to weigh each one.

I have no idea how to add pictures of these. Sorry. Just wanted to share our great experience. Thank you everyone for all of your help. The pointers and such have helped us a lot.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:22am - Aug 21,15 
If you measure the length and girth of a fish and google lg bass calculator, you can get an estimation of the weight.

Board index » The Tackle Box » Without a Paddle - The Shore Fishermans Forum
Jump to: