Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:50pm - May 3,15 
What is it you deem necessary to carry with you. I know, rod and reel is a given. It's the how much and what do you take with. I used to have a boat but now i have to fish from shore. My fishing bag weighs about 23lbs. Hooks, sinkers, lures, jigs, tools. etc. I need to lighten up but do not want to be caught short or unprepared what are your suggestions.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:25am - May 4,15 
Arrange your tackle in Plano boxes on a species and technique specific basis. Remove boxes that aren't needed for the fish you'll be targeting on a given trip. Also a fishing backpack is a great investment when you're on shore. Distributes the weight better allowing you to comfortablcomfortably carry more than single strap bag.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:42am - May 4,15 
I use a backpack and plano trays. I also have a rod case with a shoulder strap that can hold my salmon rod and reel. I strap a telescoping net to that. That leaves my hands free to carry a cooler if I'm bringing fish home.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:04pm - May 5,15 
Broke my stuff down into two groups of gear. Group1 is medium to small fish like Bass, Walleye, Panfish, etc. Group2 is larger fish like the Catfish and Carp species. I have a disability so getting it all together to fish from shore has been a bit of a logistical pain in the rear. Hauling a heavy bag and a couple of poles plus bait, water, coffee, snacks etc. is no fun. I have my main bag down to 12-13lbs now so I should be able to manage it all now. Thanks.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:02am - May 6,15 
It depends on what I'm fishing for, weather conditions, and how long the trip will be. I have most of my stuff in Plano boxes to make reorganizing easy. If I'm on a short bass trip and I have a pretty good idea of what they'll hit, I'll take one combo and two lures, one on, one spare, or a bag of plastics and a couple hooks. If I'm unsure of conditions, I'll take one box with a few different styles of baits. If I'm out for a longer day, I'll take a couple rods and a small bag with 4-5 boxes in it. If I at leas half a day, I take the kayak.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:17pm - May 7,15 
BigJim I'm just fishing one day at a time locally. I have the Fox River from the McHenry Dam to the Algonquin Dam, then a few lakes and local park ponds. I take a trip up to the UP for the Walleye opener and fish near Escanaba and Gladstone. I spent many years growing up in Escanaba and always like to go back there whenever I can manage. I know how to pack for my Escanaba trip. It's the little local trips that have me a bit stumped. I'm used to having everything you would need for almost every species of fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:54am - May 8,15 
I'm an everything and the kitchen sink kind of guy, but I'm trying to break that habit. Pack light and work on technique. Carrying less equipment frees you up to learn to be a better fisherman.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:57pm - May 8,15 
One thing you cannot be without is a good set of pliers and if you can a fish grip tool. It makes life so much easier when you are trying to hold onto a fish!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:14pm - May 8,15 
BigJim - We seems to be in the same "boat" with the kitchen sink approach. It's tough deciding what goes and what stays. I still don't want to miss an opportunity to catch something other than my intended species on any given day.

Purgerman55 - Pliers I have, even a spare set. Fish grip nope - I usually just grab them carefully from the top right behind the eyes on the toothy critters. I lip grip the others with my fingers and keep them vertical to remove the hook. I'm real old school on some things. Fish lip grip tool would probably fall in the water with me trying to use one and holding the rod with the other hand.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:12pm - May 11,15 
I just started re buying all my gear after my kayak spill. At my local wal Mart I found a canvas folding wagon and it makes hauling gear easier. I carry a small cooler,tackle box,4 poles and a folding canvas chair. $60 well spent in my opinion.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:28pm - May 11,15 
illinoisbambam - I read about your spill. Good thing your were not hurt. A folding wagon is a very practical item to use for gear. I use a cane to get around with. I have a 2-wheeled walker I "converted" to carry some gear, just my bag, 2 poles, drinks and snacks. It is working OK for now. I may resort to carrying the rest of my stuff in the trunk of the car for easy access. I just don't like putting it in the trunk and taking it out every trip.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:34pm - May 12,15 
Snick the best kayak accessory I bought was the $50 cabelas life vest.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:18pm - May 13,15 
illinoisbambam - Life vests are worth every penny. I always had it on when I owned my boats. I was just in Target tonight with my wife and saw a canvas folding wagon for $18 and bought it on the spot. It is constructed from steel, heavy, and is full sized. That beats what I was using. Thanks for the idea. I think it was a "last one" because I cannot find it on Targets web site.

Edit - Capacity 235lbs. Nice. What a deal I realize I have. Went looking on-line Hokey Smokes Bullwinkle!! :shock

Board index » The Tackle Box » Without a Paddle - The Shore Fishermans Forum
Jump to: