Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:40pm - Aug 5,09 
Hi all (anyone even in here???)

I finally started fishing from shore in the common spots in chicago this year. I froze my ass off in january at the north side of navy pier and could barely dodge the ice chunks floating by so that was a bust. I had some luck with perch back in march at montrose harbor around the empty docks and that was fun. Now that is summer, all I can catch are gobies, and am becoming quite the expert angler for this stupid fish. My record so far has been 5 casts, 5 gobies. I usually average about 10 to 15 on these in one outing. Just last sunday at belmont harbor, I caught my largest one at about 5-6 inches. As we are required by law to not return this invasive species back to the water, I have started tossing them over my back for the sea gulls to fight over and that proves to be mildly entertaining at least, but I'd prefer to catch some more respectable fish than this damn goby.

As you can probably guess, I am fishing off the bottom. I started using lead heads baited with a nightcrawler based on some 2nd, 3rd and 4th hand tips I've been told. This is what worked for the perch earlier this year, but now all I can find are gobies doing this. I started losing rigs to snags right and left and now tend to just drag a baited hook weighted down with some split shot. This type of fishing works great for gobies :o What do you think I should change to find something/anything else? I am all gobied out :roll:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:46pm - Aug 5,09 
You came to the right place for your first post. The answers you seek are contained in this website.

http://www.chitown-angler.com/1fish/vie ... ials+perch

Yesterday, I caught over 30 perch and one pumpkinseed. No Gobies!

http://www.chitown-angler.com/1fish/vie ... sc&start=0

I fish the lakefront a lot and doubt if I've even landed six gobies this year. 8)~

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:06pm - Aug 5,09 
live bait on the bottom will always get ya gobies!

now, seeing that you are a newb, artificials might not be the immediate route for you. you can still stick with the bait but keep it off the bottom. those gobies won't stray too far from the bottom because the predators could pluck them off.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:35pm - Aug 5,09 
Most likely if you are fishing rocky areas you'll catch a lot of Gobies. I might have caught 5 Gobies all season.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 08:04pm - Aug 5,09 
On a side note* should you get some of the bottom dwelling creatures of any size, they do taste quite good, mixed them up one time on a fish fry on the waters edge at montrose and wsj even had some, not bad at all. That's why you see some of the asian americans? keeping them. Just a thought, but for perch GET OFF THE BOTTOM and fish the 3' up range.

:topic

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:55am - Aug 11,09 
Well, I ended up taking friday off last week to get out to Montrose again. I caught gobies again, but only two....the rest were perch and rock bass :mrgreen: Got there at 6am, stayed till 1030. I brought some nightcrawlers and got some softshell crab at the bait shop on their recomendation. I did a little fishing off the bottom again and did have some luck with the perch. I also used a Lindy rig, which uses an small inline float the size of a tylenol to hold your bait off the bottom with a weight further up to hold it in place. This worked really well and I dont think I'll lose a rig ever again using it, though I think I'll start making my own instead of buying them premade. Bass Pro shops has the floats for cheap.

I'll have to try some artifical lures for the hell of it. Thanks for the tips!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:20pm - Aug 11,09 
So what you do not like this cheap entertainment? All I can say is really get some floating worms and spinner baits and cast out to the weeds or other cover at your nearby harbor.

michael

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:04pm - Dec 15,09 
Kill them, out them on a jig or drop-shot them and use them as bait for smallies and browns!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:28pm - Dec 22,09 
cut them up and catch some perch

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:22pm - Jul 16,11 
Feed em to to the birds

Board index » The Tackle Box » Without a Paddle - The Shore Fishermans Forum
Jump to: