Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:18pm - Apr 3,07 
Ok... so heres the deal... I have never had any luck in using a baitcast reel in the past (Bet you know where this is going...) So thinking that the baitcasters that I have had in the past were cheap combos that you can buy for 30 bucks I decided to buy a moderatly priced reel and give it a try (again) I have had some sucess casting the heavier baits but still have some backlash. When I switch to lighter baits I just cant seem to get it adjusted at all. I constantly have backlashes and have a heck of a time just trying to cast more than 20 feet. A good cast is all of 30 feet.... I need HELP!! (Either that or Im just destined to only use spinning reels)

Any tips would be helpful... Know of anyone who gives lessons?? LOL :?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:01pm - Apr 3,07 
make sure to turn your magnets all the way up. and remember to fine tune your reel to each individual lure when u put it on.u dont want the lure to free fall. u should have to give it a little shake for it to start coming down toward the ground. once u get better at, u can have it looser and will be able to cast farther. ull also get more distance if u turn the magnets down.but dont do this till ur ready cuz ull have a hell of time with all ur birds nests.when casting overhead esp. make sure not to whipit down. i had that problem for a while. release it at like 2 oclock.im sure u already know to hit the line with ur thumb before it hits the water to stop it.i recommend going to get sum reel-magic. spray ur line with it and it helps when u get a birds nest.also if u get a birds nest, turn ur drag all the way up and put ur thumb on the line and crank it. apply enough pressue so it just barely turns. sumtimes this helps to get them out.dont know if any of this helps but its all i could think of to write. gotta go to class. good luck!!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:11pm - Apr 3,07 
Kenny,

Its all about trial and error. First question is one what size line are you using? Bigger lines are easier to handle however don't match well with smaller lures or baits. Second question what is the weight of the "smaller" lures that you are using?

Here is a very good article on baitcasters and hopefully should help you out.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/elton66.htm

BTW what is your new baitcaster? Also I know of ponds in the Mundelein/Libertyville/Waukegan area that have some big fish if you ever want to hit em and show me what you are having difficulties with I maybe able to help you.

Good luck!

Valleye :D

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:33pm - Apr 3,07 
In addition to the excellent points made by these outstanding fisherman, here are two other tips for baitcasters.

1) Line is designed to come off of baitcasters at a different position then you would normally think. Most people bring their rods straight back behind then and then release the line over the top. A very good bass fisherman taught me to rotate my wrist right before letting the line go. In other words, when your arm is coming down towards the water, you rotate your reel from 12:00 at the top to 9:00 to the left side. In other words, a 90 degree rotation to the left. When the line comes off the spool in this manner, you also get more distance from your baitcaster as well.

2) I didn't see anyone mention "feathering." Feathering, as we call it out West and probably here too, is where you control the speed of the spool with your thumb. Many people just throw the thing and when the bait hits the water the spool is still spinning, hence why you get backlash. While you can control some of the spool speed with reel adjustments as people have indicated, I always lightly feather my spool down with my thumb so that when the lure hits the water or right before it hits the water, the spool is stopped. I'm not saying I NEVER have backlashes but they are greatly reduced with feathering.

Hope that helps. Bottom line, though once you have your reel adjusted is practice, practice, practice.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:03am - Apr 4,07 
fish detective, u def. emphasized a very important point.if u don't stop it with your thumb "feather" it, ur almost guaranteed a backlash. I've spent countless hours practicing with a plastic container as a target. practice makes perfect!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:08pm - Apr 4,07 
I am persoanlly in the boat of they are a pain in the a%@. I have owned from the $20 reels all they way up on baitcasters and last year just sold one I paid 189 for on ebay. I will never buy another. I am not going to spend my time practicing when I could be doing the real thing. I guess that is why I got married lol . I understand the benifits of that type of reel, but with limited time to actually get on the water I want to enjoy it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:17pm - Apr 4,07 
Thanks for the tips! Like Mouse said... Ive been practicing but I spend more time stripping line than reeling in line and fishing....

I guess I just need more time with it... sometimes it seems like it casts better when I "whip" it hard... other times not so much... Ive lost one spinner bait while out fishing and one jig while practicing in the driveway (who knows where it landed.... at least I didnt hear any glass break!) from the line snapping when I went to cast... not sure if the line got wrapped around the end of the rod or what....

Valleye... I have it spooled with 10 lb. mono (.012 dia.) Not sure how light my "light" lure was... it was a mepps spinner (was tired of watching some other guy catching bass left and right on one... lol) I got a Shakespeare Sigma reel. A pro like you could probably cast this thing a country mile!!

Ever fish Big Bear/ Little Bear in Vernon Hills? Some real nice ones in there!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:11am - Apr 6,07 
I own both but tend to use spinning alot more. Baitcasters are better at handling large baits and large fish but I think for freshwater fishing spinning reels are much better (well most freshwater that is). I seriously doubt that you will catch any less fish using a spinning reel.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:03am - Apr 6,07 
I am one of those people who are destined to never use a baitcaster.

Mike

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:42am - Apr 8,07 
i watched a show on comcast and this pro said the way to learn is start by throwing side arm. i tried it and yes it does work. you start to get a pattern and it starts to go farther and farther regardless of the size of the lures.i have the magnet adjusted in the middle and the other knob wide open now.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:40pm - May 21,07 
fishdetective wrote:
In addition to the excellent points made by these outstanding fisherman, here are two other tips for baitcasters.

1) Line is designed to come off of baitcasters at a different position then you would normally think. Most people bring their rods straight back behind then and then release the line over the top. A very good bass fisherman taught me to rotate my wrist right before letting the line go. In other words, when your arm is coming down towards the water, you rotate your reel from 12:00 at the top to 9:00 to the left side. In other words, a 90 degree rotation to the left. When the line comes off the spool in this manner, you also get more distance from your baitcaster as well.

2) I didn't see anyone mention "feathering." Feathering, as we call it out West and probably here too, is where you control the speed of the spool with your thumb. Many people just throw the thing and when the bait hits the water the spool is still spinning, hence why you get backlash. While you can control some of the spool speed with reel adjustments as people have indicated, I always lightly feather my spool down with my thumb so that when the lure hits the water or right before it hits the water, the spool is stopped. I'm not saying I NEVER have backlashes but they are greatly reduced with feathering.

Hope that helps. Bottom line, though once you have your reel adjusted is practice, practice, practice.

I learned to use a baitcaster when I got into Musky fishing. I can handle the heavier rig pretty well but haven't gone for the lighter Bass gear.
I prefer an open face for that.

Your two points are right on target. I learned the first one from Hall of Fame Musky Guy Larry Ramsell.
Also, when you are using a larger one or two treble lure " Feathering" snaps your lure out and clears your hooks so you have a lot less problem with hooks hanging up on the body of the lure.

VIETNAM VETERAN U.S.A.F. 66-67

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:13am - Apr 5,09 
Those were some great tips, particularly the one about the wrist. I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling (misery loves company). I've been trying to learn the art of baitcasters, and have found a pretty decent video about getting rid of backlashes. I tried it on my last outting and it worked pretty well, at least compared to me cursing, cutting out the backlash and putting it down to go back to my spinners. I hope this makes it a bit easier.

http://www.bassfishin.com/video-tips/ba ... acklashes/

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:12pm - Apr 5,09 
Yo Kennyman, Add this article to your list for perusal. You've gotten a lot of good advice. If I may, I'd like to jump into the pool with yooze guys.
http://www.fishing-tackle-repair.com/ed ... p-101.html

After you get the mechanics of spool tension and anti backlash settings down, I would suggest 3 things. 1) Practice with a little more weight than normal, say at least a 1/2 oz bell sinker. 2) Practice throwing an arc, rather than "thru a brick wall" cast. 3) When you find your comfortable release point on these lob type casts, turn the Handles Up a second or so after the sinker is in the arc . Soon, you be making farther & flatter casts. Don't give up. A baitcaster is a proven go-to tool in the right situation. Good Luck.........murph810

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:13pm - Apr 5,09 
I too have had the same problems when switching over from a spinning reel. Baitcasters are much more complicated, all these dials, switches. Luckily from my experiance with spinning reels you get what u pay for. This holds true with casters, made the mistake of buying a daiwa twichin bar reel 50$ wore it out in a month. Once you decide to throw a caster stick with it. Back lash or not. A 10 pound test is minum on casters. And yes you do have to adjust for each diffrent weight in lures. But once you get it dialed in you can cast a country mile!!!
My advice is : at least 10 lb test
Quality reel (not nessary but helps)
use your thumb to feather ur own brake
dont throw as hard as a spinning
lob it
dont give up!!!!
dial brakes up till u get it and back it off one click at a time till it nests up and go back up one click
learn with wind at your back
it took me a good 2 weeks of fishing daily and pulling plenty of birdsnests out before i got it. I havent used a spinning reel since Except drop shott.
Dont get me wrong nests Will happen to even the best fisherman, its just knowing by sound when its starting to happen and what to do when it happens. its all experience and time with your rod in your hand. Good luck, and Dont give up!!!!!!!!!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:21pm - Apr 5,09 
Kennyman,
Let me know the next time you are heading out this way and I will be more than happy to spend some time with you showing you some techniques and tips on throwing a baitcaster. I can teach you some pitching and standard casting as well.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:42am - Apr 11,09 
A year ago, I bought myself a baitcast combo (I heard they cast really well) The reel was pfluger echelon.

I was so bad at it, that it really caused a lot of disappointment and frustratoin. after a month of practicing at home and lakes, and many great advice from our friends posting on this forums, I finally got the feel of it. and Now, I don;t go fishing without it.

Also, I totally agree with previous posts about feathering, if you keep you thumb feathering on the spool you don't just get to slow it down or stop it, but you get to stop birdnests automatically while it is developing, and before it gets nasty.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:31pm - Aug 11,09 
Kenny, I was watching "bass edge" and they were talking a bout how to get backlashes out. One tip that works(I have tried it) is to tighten your drag all the way and put a lot of pressure with your thumb on the spool and crank the reel 7 times and pull the line out. If there is still a backlash do the first two steps and instead of cranking the handle 7 times only crank it 3-4 times and keep repeating until it is out.

michael

Board index » The Tackle Box » Without a Paddle - The Shore Fishermans Forum
Jump to: