Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:22am - Jan 16,18 
I am just asking ,,,, What pound test do you use on your ice fishing gear ,,, I need new line ,,,

Walldady

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:43am - Jan 16,18 
Walldady wrote:
I am just asking ,,,, What pound test do you use on your ice fishing gear ,,, I need new line ,,,

Walldady

I'm testing out the Suffix 832 ice braid one one reel right now. In 4lb test. Pretty happy with it so far. I may switch my open water panfishing rods to it as well, actually. The other rods have 4lb PLine Floroclear on them. I don't have any ice fishing rods setup specifically for pike, bass, or walleye, so nothing higher than 4lb.

I've gotten into a few bass on them with the 4lb and they handle it fine so long as I don't have the drag too tight. Haven't taken longer than about 15-20 seconds to bring a bass up through my hole on 4lb, and I've caught a couple in the 14-15 inch range this season. Haven't gotten any bigger than that, though. If you expect to get some 3-4lb bass through the ice wherever you're fishing, may want to up the test to 6lb.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:05pm - Jan 16,18 
I have Trilene 4 lb cold weather for heavier jigs. I use P-Line Floroice 2 lb for panfish, rig at home,and have spare rods-tough to do on the water,this year has been a very light bite,smaller jigs with plastics working the best.Good spring bobber a must.FYI -Bass Pro in Bolingbrook has a very limited supply of line. You may be better off at Henry's.Haven't tried braid-any opinions ?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:54pm - Jan 16,18 
SMOLERCRAFT-14 wrote:
I have Trilene 4 lb cold weather for heavier jigs. I use P-Line Floroice 2 lb for panfish, rig at home,and have spare rods-tough to do on the water,this year has been a very light bite,smaller jigs with plastics working the best.Good spring bobber a must.FYI -Bass Pro in Bolingbrook has a very limited supply of line. You may be better off at Henry's.Haven't tried braid-any opinions ?

Yeah, I am testing the Suffix 832 ice braid in 4lb test right now on a rod. I like it a lot so far. Only issue I had was some ice in the guides causing a really nasty fray at one point, so I had to trim off about 10 feet of line.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 09:04pm - Jan 16,18 
Most all of mine are 2# except maybe one jigging rod for spoons. I can't tell any difference in performance between the ice line and soft water line since I started my testing of them a few years ago. Run some old fashion stren clear blue which allows me to see the line to retie and has work just fine on the ice or soft water. I am kinda done spending the extra for ice line.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:26am - Jan 17,18 
:drink Got away from the 1 and 2 pound line...not because of performance but the lack of eyesight :rotflmao ...been running P-line in 3 and 4 pound test...works great for me(Bluegill 3 and Crappie 4)...green moss I believe....received a combo from a friend that was from my Buddy "Coach"...Mark picked it up at the estate sale..(thank you very much Mark...means more than you know.!!)...it had a "new to me line"...1 pound diameter with 4+ lbs test..think it was nano-fill..??.works great ....but rigging on the ice was hard to do...use braid when rigging with jigging raps or spoons...6lbs diameter with 10-12 breaking strength...don't remember the brand....buddy gave it to me to try...I'll ask him next time he's back in town... he used it for walleye on Erie..great stuff...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:47pm - Jan 17,18 
Problem I have is joining filler line to smaller ice line-for me mission impossible. I gave up on it.Pushing 70-fingers don't work that good any more. I just put about 20 yards of ice line on the reel.Reel manufactures must be in cahoots with line company's. No need for all that line reel capacity for ice fishing or open water.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:04pm - Jan 17,18 
:drink Hey Smolercraft....,some guys get the spare spool and rotate top to bottom or spool to spool and get twice the use out of line.... might save some pennies for Mel...I know he is very frugal.... :bigyuck

Board index » Hard Water » Ice Gear ~ Gadgets & Electronics
Jump to: