Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:06am - Jan 14,17 
Never used tip downs, looks pretty straight forward. No resistance to the line so light biting fish can pull the bait and the pole just teeters on a fulcrum and then points down. What do you do with the drag or bail? once the rod is pointing down the fish will feel resistance at some point, right?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:56pm - Jan 18,17 
Open the bale or turn the drag very light as in no resistance. Most people that use tip downs, Me included just hand over hand the fish in.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:33pm - Jan 18,17 
My brother got three tip downs for Christmas. We used them last Sunday. They are Awesome ! These tip downs come with a little pole and spool like the originals. The rod stores in the hollow vertical portion when not in use. Yes the rod balances and gives about 2ft. of no resistance. We started with the spool to tight. We learned to loosen the drag and let the fish run a bit, however if you let him run too long the bass will swallow the hook. Our catch percentage was about 75% . As we fished very close to them , you could hear the rod slap the post with the more aggressive bass. They are all over Wisconsin.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:06pm - Jan 19,17 
Do you use specific rods for tip downs? It looks like some manufactures make tip downs that allow you to use your existing rods. They make attachments that are compatible with inline and spinning reels. Since I already own 8 ice rods I'm trying to limit the additional rods if I can just use the ones I already have.

I was at lake Koshkonong last weekend and saw people using them. Look cool.

Board index » Hard Water » Ice Gear ~ Gadgets & Electronics
Jump to: