Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:54pm - Oct 18,20 
Well. Got my first sauger today. Ever. 13” on a gold google eye jig and minnow. Obviously CPR. lots of smallmouth. First one was in 10 feet on a 3 way rig. Then got into a bunch behind pilings. Lost something big on a jig and crawler (too lazy to go get a new minnow in the back of the boat).

Anyway. For a newb I thought I did ok. Only lost one sinker on the 3 way too.

Out of Morris.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:03pm - Oct 22,20 
Going Saturday to Starved Rock pool. Any thing biting? Jigs? Cranks? Would love a few walleyes or saugers

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:28pm - Oct 22,20 
All techniques should work. With low water and slow flow, covering water to find fish is what I would do. ( troll ). If you want to park over fish once you find them and they seem to be concentrated, have at it. My experience says they could be scattered. Lead core moving 2 mph will cover water but the leaves may be a problem. Have to change it up if leaves are problem and find a technique to cover water and not fowl up.

I'd stay down river in that pool. Meaning Hennepin south.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:26am - Oct 23,20 
Thanks. Trolling works for me. Helps locate aggressive fish. I like the idea of locating them and then targeting. It’s what I usually do. I was just reading the thread and it seemed like live bait. If I put a light leader on that should break before the lead. Don’t like losing baits but gotta have the bait where the fish are

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:31am - Oct 25,20 
If you like trolling, leaves could be an issue using lead core as stated above. Switch to 3 way rigs with crankbait, you won't get as many leaves as the swivels will pick up leaves. The swivels will also tell you when leaves are to many wrapped around them as you lead dropper will pull off the bottom a bit.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:03pm - Oct 25,20 
We managed one sauger and one cat. Need to keep practicing. Forgot one key, the speed. Talked to a guy at the launch who had a limit going two mph. We were going to slow. Leaves weren’t bad but thanks for the tip on the three way. Might go again next weekend

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:33pm - Oct 29,20 
Went yesterday on a tip from another member by the 39 bridge.Unfortunately 2 or 3 huge grain barges (3 across and 5 deep)went thru early morning and blew the fish out.When a barge that long has to turn there they hit full throttle right under the bridge.After some searching I found some sauger and whites in a slack water area by the lumber yard in Peru.

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Rivers » Illinois
Jump to: