Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:52am - Jun 22,20 
Can anyone help me out with figuring out "safe" and "ideal" fishing levels on the IL near Morris? I'm new to the IL River.

Obviously using this as a guide:
USGS 05542500 ILLINOIS RIVER AT MORRIS, IL

What's a good flow/level for basic fishing and just boating in general? PM's are fine.

If it matters, I have a 19' Lund Crossover.

thanks,
BK

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:18am - Jun 22,20 
right now its at as low and and slow as you get - 6ft/8.81kcfs

I never pay attention to kcfs as current speed wont close the launch and I'd rather be on the river and feel what its doing then look at a graph

6ft-10ft : normal water level range, 9ft will probably be dirty water

11ft -13ft : Morris launch will have water on pavement and most likely be closed, private launches only option unless Seneca stays open, river will probably be dirty and lots of junk in the water. Usually look at other options once it hits 11ft

Above is based on where the graph currently is, the other factor is which way the graph is moving - going up fishing will be good, going down, its going to be dirty and tough. Its hardly ever leveled out like it is now with the mini-drought.

I've gone out in 9ft and had it rise to 11ft and had awesome days, I've gone out in 9ft and it dropped to 8ft and fishing was terrible.

This is just basics, as much more nuance to flows and levels. Overall with your boat I would only worry if you wanted to go out in anything above 13ft, and even then the big worry is hitting something in the water and disabling your motor.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:13pm - Jun 22,20 
thank you, RR. Very nice of you to assist. Great info!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:05pm - Jun 24,20 
It's not fair was thinking of going tomorrow to catch whatever I could find and called Buster and the recent rains dirtied it up again.The vermillion was pumping total chocolate milk today.Maybe tuesday.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:20pm - Jun 24,20 
Its always dirty :D

I think the speed boats running up and down impact fishing more than water stain this time of year, always a patch of clean water somewhere just gotta find it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:41pm - Jun 25,20 
Most of the spots I would fish are below the vermillion and would limit me to creeks maybe dumping in clean water.More so than speedboats a deep running barge that sucks down the shoreline water by 3 feet really kills the fishing.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:30pm - Jun 25,20 
so I tried fishing behind some "moored" barges on Tuesday with no success. Am I wasting my time pitching behind those suckers? Was just throwing cranks for bass, or really anything that might hit..... was just a recon trip for me. AGREE that water was dirtier than I expected.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:45pm - Jun 26,20 
most of those barges are temporary - fish don't even have time to figure out they are there before they are moved. Sometimes if they are near a structure they will create an eddie or break, but i'm fishing a structure.

Look for rocks and gravel either on shore or on your finder, also water coming into the river. Right now if you find one smallie probably a couple more in the area.

Board index » Rivers » Illinois
Jump to: