Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:37am - Jul 19,16 
Does anybody have a good steelhead recipe they can share? I'm going to cook some up tonight.

:thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:18pm - Jul 19,16 
I was once told to fry bacon to bits, then crust the filet with the bacon, and bake.... Never tried it, but as they say, "Bacon is King"

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:17pm - Jul 19,16 
Filet them Bread them deep fry them like walleye' I cut away the rib and belly meat and just fry the back and tail section.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:19pm - Jul 19,16 
Sorry thats for Sheephead.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:47pm - Jul 19,16 
I am in the same situation,can catch the fish but need a recipe.I have baked,smoked,grilled,salmon patty(kinda like a salmon burger,which was Good).Broiled as well.
I wish I could help other than grilling in tin foil with lemon or tomato,onion,seasalt,pepper,a hint of thyme-

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:29pm - Jul 19,16 
Try a Fish Boil or Deep Fry them.
I use this one for any kind of fish (Salmon, Steelhead, lakers or what king you want)
Fish Boil
Filet and remove all bones. Cut into 2" x 1" chunks. Bag until ready to use.
Peel 5 lb's to 10 lb's of potatoes and cut into large chunks (if you chop them to small they get real mushy)
Boil in water with a little salt. (A third cup to a half cup depending on the pot size)
I use a large pot with a burner (outside) with the strainer insert.
after 20 minutes add in 1 bag or 2 of baby carrots
after 10 more minutes add in Onion chunks (quarter 2 or 3 large Onions) - (2 bags of Pearl Onions works well also in lieu of large onions)
after 10 more minutes add in the desired amount of fish (chunked)
at this point your fish should be done in 5 to 7 minutes
Do Not stir the pot too much or all the large pieces will break apart.
Ease a long stir utensil to the bottom and lift up slowly to stir.
When the fish is done. Lift out the strainer with all the pieces in it, let the water and juices drain out.
Scoop out into a bowl and add Lemon pepper and butter and salt (if you like).

I use this recipe when a lot of our family is in town and everyone enjoys it.
In fact they request it.

I will re-read it myself to make sure I got it right and post any corrections.
Enjoy

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:52am - Jul 20,16 
I make a salmon pasta that the Mrs. and kids love.

Remove the skin, bones and mudline and cut into moderate size pieces. Salt and pepper the pieces. Add about 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to a big frying pan and turn the pan on medium high. Once it gets hot, add the steelhead and about 15 cherry tomatoes cut in quarters. Cook on med-high, flip once, about at this point add two tablespoons of butter and 2 toes of garlic chopped finely and about 1/2 cup of cooked asparagus. Once the steelhead is fully cooked break it apart, add noodles (I use angel hair) then add about 1/4 cup white wine and 2-3 tablespoons Parmesan. Salt and season to taste, squeeze a lemon wedge over it, stir and serve.

I made it with some of the steelhead I caught on Saturday. The whole recipe takes about 15 minutes and is amazing.

My buddy that I gave a tail to said he made a salad nicoise and served the fish over that, but that seems a bit dainty for this forum...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:16am - Jul 20,16 
How would you feel about (when possible) catch photo and release? I learned to love steelhead fishing primarily from Chitown's own CDXdog. We've caught a bunch over the years. I personally am not a fan of the chrome rocket's flesh texture and release 90+% of those I catch to fight again. To each their own. As to salmon (trout) recipes one I got here and like the best, though I can't for the life of me can't remember whose it was, is very simple. Pat the fillets dry, rub them with mustard (yellow or yellow and Dijon mixed) , sprinkle with a mesquite store bought dry seasoning. Place the fillets skin side down on a (charcoal is best) grill. Don't over cook simple and delicious . Surprisingly neither flavor is dominant in the finished meal.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:09am - Jul 20,16 
I had several of the steelhead that we caught last Saturday for dinner last night and prepared the fillets three different ways... All were devoured and no one could pick a favorite declaring them to be equally delicious.

1) Glazed Trout. Melt 3/4 stick of butter with 1/4 cup - 1/2 cup of brown sugar (depending on how sweet your taste buds are). Add lemon juice, dill weed and lemon pepper to taste -- mix well. Place the Steelhead fillet in a grilling basket (these work best for keeping the fillets together while turning, but make sure that you apply some non-stick cooking spray so they don't stick) and put the skin side down. Brush the glaze on the top of the fillet and grill for 3-5 minutes depending on the thickness. Before turning, brush on some more glaze and flip over the fillet. The brown sugar in the glaze will start to caramelize while it is cooking. Grill for another 3-5 minutes and brush on the last of the glaze right before serving. You can add a few lemon slices and sprigs of fresh dill to the top of the fillet as a garnish to complete the presentation and this is my go to grilling recipe for both Steelhead and Salmon.

2) Blackened Trout. Begin by heating a cast iron skillet over the grill so that it is nice and hot. Then, brush the tops of the fillet with melted butter and cover with Cajun seasoning. Put several pats of butter on the hot skillet and let it melt, then place the fillet on the skillet with the seasoned side down for 3-5 minutes depending on the thickness and then flip it over to cook for another 3-5 minutes. There should be just a bit of a crust on the blackened side when you are done. While the fillet is cooking, put some sour cream in a bowl and mix with a little mayo, lemon juice and lots of dill weed. Serve the fillets with a dollop of the cream sauce on the top of each portion. This gets rave reviews every time I make it and it really works well for Lake Trout as well.

3) Garlic Maple Grilled Trout. For this one I picked up some "Gateway to the North" seasoning from the Spice Shop on Wells Street in Old Town. It's basically a dry rub of maple sugar and garlic plus a few other seasonings. Put the Steelhead fillet in a grilling basket skin side down. Brush on melted butter and then add a liberal amount of the maple / garlic rub and let it cook to 3-5 minutes. Flip it over for another 3-5 minutes and serve. I made this for the first time last night and it was out of this world. My family loved the taste and the Steelhead fillet was tender, moist and flaky.

Enjoy!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:38am - Jul 20,16 
X2 on the blackend trout.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:31pm - Jul 20,16 
I do Old Bay, it's usually in the seafood section at the grocery store, similar to a Cajun or blackening seasoning and then make simple dill sauce; 2tbs each mayo and sour cream, 1tsp dill weed, 1/4tsp onion powder, salt and pepper. Season the fish with the old bay and grill or pan fry in butter over med high heat until medium/medium rare. Serve with cool dill sauce. Super easy.

This one is also super easy but is more exotic. Grill or broil the fish with just a sprinkle of salt or brown sugar on it. Then serve with Thai cilantro lime sauce. There's recipes all over the Internet, but here's mine:

1/2cup cilantro chopped fine
1/4cup fresh lime juice
1/4cup soy sauce
1/4cup Thai fish sauce- check the Asian section at the grocery store, not essential if you can't find it
1 clove garlic
1tbs brown sugar- adjust to taste
2 or 3 green onion
Chiles to taste, Thai chiles or sera is are my favorite, crushed red pepper works good, jalepenos are okay but add a bitter taste.

I just throw all the stuff in the food processor or blender and whip it up, add the chiles and sugar a little at a time til you like what you got.

Serve the grilled fish with some steamed or stir fried veggies, white or brown rice, and a ice cold beer.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:42am - Jul 21,16 
Thank you everyone for the ideas! Here is the one I went with and my girlfriend even liked it and she isn't a big fish eater.

Fish/n/thusiast wrote:
I had several of the steelhead that we caught last Saturday for dinner last night and prepared the fillets three different ways... All were devoured and no one could pick a favorite declaring them to be equally delicious.

1) Glazed Trout. Melt 3/4 stick of butter with 1/4 cup - 1/2 cup of brown sugar (depending on how sweet your taste buds are). Add lemon juice, dill weed and lemon pepper to taste -- mix well. Place the Steelhead fillet in a grilling basket (these work best for keeping the fillets together while turning, but make sure that you apply some non-stick cooking spray so they don't stick) and put the skin side down. Brush the glaze on the top of the fillet and grill for 3-5 minutes depending on the thickness. Before turning, brush on some more glaze and flip over the fillet. The brown sugar in the glaze will start to caramelize while it is cooking. Grill for another 3-5 minutes and brush on the last of the glaze right before serving. You can add a few lemon slices and sprigs of fresh dill to the top of the fillet as a garnish to complete the presentation and this is my go to grilling recipe for both Steelhead and Salmon.

Enjoy!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:43am - Jul 21,16 
grindstone wrote:
How would you feel about (when possible) catch photo and release? .

I released 4 silver fish that trip and left without my limit, thanks for asking!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:44am - Jul 21,16 
Cedar Planked Salmon With Whiskey Maple Glaze, 1 cedar plank (soaked overnight or at least 1 hour),
Glaze

6 tablespoons whiskey
3⁄4 cup maple syrup ( or 1 cup brown sugar )
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
3 lbs salmon, skin on
kosher salt
ground black pepper
2 teaspoons granulated onion (or onion powder)
2 lemons, halved
Directions
Plank: Make sure that the plank has soaked for at least 1 hour and up to 24.
Glaze: Combine the whiskey and maple syrup in a small saucepan, bringing the mixture to a low boil and reduce by about half. You should have a thick syrup that coats the back of a spoon. Add chilies and butter and stir until just combined. Set aside and keep warm.
Season the salmon with salt, pepper and granulated onion. Pour the glaze over the salmon carefully. Let the salmon sit for 10 - 15 minutes at room temperature, until the rub is moistened.
Preheat the grill on medium high heat for 5 - 10 minutes. Rinse the plank and place it on the cooking grate. Cover the grill and heat the plank for 4 - 5 minutes or until it starts to throw off a bit of smoke and crackles lightly.
Reduce the heat to medium low. Season the plank with kosher salt and place the salmon, skin side down, on the plank. Cover the grill and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the fish flakes.
Check periodically to make sure the plank doesn't catch fire and spray the burning edges with water if it does, making sure to close the lid afterwards.
When the salmon is done, squeeze half a lemon along its length and carefully transfer to a platter. Garish with remaining lemon cut into slices.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:52am - Jul 21,16 
Similar to what was served in McGuires Irish Pub Destin Florida

Recipe: Irish Whisky Mustard Glazed Salmon

Recipe: Irish Whiskey Glaze

Ingredients:
1 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 Tbl Dijon mustard
1 cup Irish Whiskey

Instructions:
1. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Hold for
service.

Ingredients:
Whisky Glazed Salmon
7oz salmon fillet
1 ea lemon wedge
1 ea parsley sprig
1 1/2 oz Whiskey glaze, prepared

Instructions:
1. Season and grill salmon fillet to desired doneness.
2. Glaze with prepared whiskey glaze.
4. Garnish with lemon and parsley.

Board index » The Podium » Food for thought
Jump to: