Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:31pm - Dec 21,17 
any input on how long smoked salmon will last in refridgerator in a ziplock bag? thanks

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:11pm - Dec 21,17 
It really depends on how you smoked it. If you used a brine it will last longer. If you cold smoke for many hours it will last even longer. I typically use a brine and smoke between 150 and 175 degrees for 6 hours and my fish is still good up to 3 weeks, but it usually doesn't last that long before it gets gobbled up or turned into a cream cheese spread.

A buddy of mine freezes smoked fish and he says it is good eating warmed back up.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:33pm - Dec 21,17 
TyeeII wrote:
It really depends on how you smoked it. If you used a brine it will last longer. If you cold smoke for many hours it will last even longer. I typically use a brine and smoke between 150 and 175 degrees for 6 hours and my fish is still good up to 3 weeks, but it usually doesn't last that long before it gets gobbled up or turned into a cream cheese spread.

A buddy of mine freezes smoked fish and he says it is good eating warmed back up.

I also vacuum pack and freeze 3/4 of what I smoke and its good at least 6 months. In the frig......don't know...never there very long.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:57am - Dec 24,17 
How long does a package of smoked salmon last once opened? The exact answer to that question depends to a large extent on storage conditions - keep the smoked salmon refrigerated at all times.
To maximize the shelf life of a package of smoked salmon after opening, keep refrigerated and tightly wrapped in plastic or aluminum wrap.
Properly stored, an opened package of smoked salmon will last for about 1 week in the refrigerator.
Is an opened package of smoked salmon still safe after the "sell by" date or "best by date" on the package? Yes - after the smoked salmon is opened, it will typically remain safe to use for 1 week, even if the "sell-by" or "best by" date on the package expires.
Can you freeze smoked salmon? Yes, place the salmon in the freezer before the number of days shown for refrigerator storage has elapsed.
To freeze smoked salmon, wrap tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil or place in heavy-duty freezer bag.
How long does a package of smoked salmon last in the freezer? Properly stored, it will maintain best quality for about 3 months, but will remain safe beyond that time.
The freezer time shown is for best quality only - smoked salmon that has been kept constantly frozen at 0°F will keep safe indefinitely.
How long does a package of smoked salmon last after being frozen and thawed? A package of smoked salmon that has been defrosted in the fridge can be kept for an additional 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator before using; a package of smoked salmon that was thawed in the microwave or in cold water should be used immediately.
How can you tell if an opened package of smoked salmon is bad or spoiled? The best way is to smell and look at the smoked salmon: signs of bad salmon are a sour smell and dull color; discard any salmon with an off smell or appearance.

Board index » The Podium » Food for thought
Jump to: