Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:15am - Sep 7,15 
Went out with the yak and a couple buddies to the DPR yesterday at 4pm. Clear water, decent water level.. Weather was nice with the shade of the trees. I'm happy to say that I caught my first fish from my yak!! Was throwing my #4 Mepp with raccoon tail around some structure and got a decent rock bass... About 8 more casts then i quickly caught my second rock bass.. Next cast was another rock bass. I know it wasnt the coolest or hardest fish to catch but it was still pretty cool catching from the yak. :D All fish swam home safely.

- Joe

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:40pm - Sep 7,15 
Those rockies can be tough little fish!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:21am - Sep 12,15 
just wait until you start getting into the pike. The smaller ones aren't much more fun than those rockies you got there, but the bigger fish sure make things fun. I don't have a yak but I do canoe the river from time to time. I also found out that when the river is at its normal level and there is a good west wind, to start off by going downstream because fighting the wind is worse than fighting the current. Don't be too surprised to catch a ton of smallies also. The river by me has plenty and they hold to obvious structure so finding them is easy. My all time favorite DPR bait is the j9 in firetiger. Another great bait for me has been the strike king 1.5 square bill. Take the front treble off and you can cast it everywhere without hanging up much at all. spinner baits over weeds and frogs in the muck. That river is just teeming with fish if you know where to look.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:18pm - Sep 13,15 
Congrats on your first fish from the Kayak, Aircatcher !!

Board index » Rivers » Des Plaines
Jump to: