Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:33pm - Feb 22,15 
Where could I fish the des plaines well for pike, catfish, carp, walleye, bass, and any fish? I'm mostly interested in pike from shore. I am not familiar with the area, since I just visit family in harwood heights. Where could I fish pike well from shore? I tried Robinson Woods in January, and there was nothing there. Any tips? Any bait shops around there? Thanks in advance. BTW I know how to catch channels in Big Bend if anyone is interested.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:11pm - Feb 22,15 
There's northern all over in there. In line spinners or regular spinner baits work well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:19pm - Feb 22,15 
May want to look at what used to be dam 2 area, have not tried that area since I heard they took the dam down sometime last year if I am not mistaken.

If you can find bends in the river, back waters, some depper holes, water discharge pipes... you will increase your chances for northerns, both live bait and spinners work. Never tageted much else out there but carp on lite tackle is fun.

River can get very shallow in summer months, so water level and clarity are ussually key gages to potential success there.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:32pm - Feb 22,15 
koolangler wrote:
May want to look at what used to be dam 2 area, have not tried that area since I heard they took the dam down sometime last year if I am not mistaken.

If you can find bends in the river, back waters, some depper holes, water discharge pipes... you will increase your chances for northerns, both live bait and spinners work. Never tageted much else out there but carp on lite tackle is fun.

River can get very shallow in summer months, so water level and clarity are ussually key gages to potential success there.
reno wrote:
There's northern all over in there. In line spinners or regular spinner baits work well.

Thanks for respones! WInterrime locations? Summer locations? (rosemont, norridge, harwood heights area) On MLK day, I fished Robinson woods, and there was nothing there.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:29am - Feb 23,15 
Catherine Woods is where I park to get to the river. I catch a few snake pikes by the culvert during lunch every year. If you're willing to walk, there is a deeper hole by the overpass. Big Bend is a couple minutes down the road from my place, caught a couple pike out of the river over there along with a couple cats.

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:14pm - Mar 13,15 
I'm in the same area and wondering if there are any recent reports? Open water by Catherine woods or the spill over at big bend? Wanted to float some roaches and see what happens.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:38pm - Mar 14,15 
River has been pretty high and muddy since our recent thawing. Once it goes down to more normal levels and clarity it should be on and ripe for wading.
There are some 30" + in that stretch. At least there used to be before we caught a 'head keeping everything , everything he caught. Sickening.

Keep this in your favorites;

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=05529000

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:46pm - Mar 14,15 
Yeah I realized that today. Got out for an hour before sunset and its just a muddy mess. So once it clears up and drops.. Is that what people are doing? Wading down the river and tossing spinners and cranks and some live bait? I want to make it a goal this year to atleast pull one out of the river... It's too dang close to the house!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:15pm - Mar 14,15 
Wading gives you the best access. That and yakking.
I throw cranks all year and spinners as soon as the water warms and bit and they get more active.

Board index » Rivers » Des Plaines
Jump to: