Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:27pm - May 18,13 
What should I be looking to catch in that area? Is it fishy or slow down there? Thinking about throwing the yak in at Columbia tomorrow.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:17pm - May 18,13 
I've mostly fished for catfish in that area, but my buddy catches musky and bass on his boat from the boat launch by 83 all the way up to willow springs road. I think he may have pulled out a pike here and there.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:23pm - May 18,13 
walleye,crappie,bass and nice pike....fish where flag creek dumps in the clear and muddy water is always good up flag creek all the way past the railroad bridge is good up to the big boulders..and around the 2 islands is also good the river from willow springs road to flag creek has always been bad for me flag creek to 83 always better. the current speeds up from flag creek to 83 good luck post your trip

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:56am - May 19,13 
Thanks guys. I'll let you know. I'm still trying to decide between K3 and DPR. I'd like to go back to Kankakee. We got some bites last week there and I'd love to take the yak there instead of just shore fishing. Not sure if hubby will be up to driving down there though, he can still be tough to convince. The DPR at Willow Springs there is only about 15 minutes away. LOL

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:21pm - May 19,13 
Didn't end up hitting the DPR. Went to the Kankakee instead. Had a great afternoon in spite of a very strong current.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:24am - May 20,13 
fwl I fish the dpr 3 or 4 times a year from a small 12footer. launch @ Madison street in burr ridge throw spinner baits in chaurtruse and black and white for bass and northern. fish the bottom for cats with a nightcrawler on a river rig or slipbobber. log jams and slack water. bill 77 called out some good areas. last year I caught several crappi in 10" range by ws road. casting a twister tail. no I didn't eat them. try it some time close to home.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:12am - May 20,13 
I really want to, but I knew we'd have some sort of luck at the K3 and with Bob being a little difficult to get "hooked" on fishing I want to be sure he can get something decent from shore while I yak. Me, I love it whether I catch hot or not. I will get out there though.

How is the current down there in the Willow Springs/Bur Ridge area? It 'looks' slow enough. Man that was rough on the Kankakee yesterday, the current was strong as could be. I had to stay close to launch to keep from not being able to get back.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:38pm - May 20,13 
when we get a good rain the river rises quickly and the currant can be pretty strong. a lot of snags and submerged logs and rocks you must respect this river.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:45am - May 28,13 
hxcmikenj wrote:
I've mostly fished for catfish in that area, but my buddy catches musky and bass on his boat from the boat launch by 83 all the way up to willow springs road. I think he may have pulled out a pike here and there.

I think your buddy is confused between pike and musky. The DPR has millions of Pike and not many musky at all. I have only seen 2 pulled out of the DPR in the 12 years fishing it. But either way, bass and pike are always fun and I am sure he is catching plenty of those fish. They are in there!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:08am - May 28,13 
Dave, is that you? I was actually with him when he pulled a musky out of there by the water spill out.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:37am - May 30,13 
Heyyy, yea that is me. Who are you? haha

Yeah, I am not saying there aren't musky in the DPR, there aren't many. It sounded like your buddy catches more Musky than Pike which would be unusual. But I have seen some unusual things come out of the DPR (lawn chairs, diapers, cans, plastic bags, bodies, etc). hahaha

I know your name says Mike in it and you are from Oak Lawn, but I don't know who you are.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:24pm - May 30,13 
Mike Covo. I was talking about Eric catching a musky out of the water spill out.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:33pm - Jun 5,13 
Mike, Eric never caught a musky on the DP. It was J (twice) and both Williams/Eric and I had one on! But that is at the secret spot. Not the spillway. He was probably pulling your chain hahaha.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:26pm - Jun 5,13 
I was with him when he caught it, it was at night, Late fall/winterish on a green and orange rattle trap I believe. We were fishing for cats and he threw it out and first few casts he had it hooked. I even took a picture of it. It was his FB profile pic for a while i believe. Unfortunately the secret spot isn't very secret anymore.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:15am - Jun 6,13 
Send photo for proof.

PS that picture is of a Northern. Trust me, I would know if Eric caught a musky on the DP. I know the photo you are talking about, and Eric just text me saying it was a northern.

There are a TON of Northern in that spot, and the secret spot is alright. A few know about it but they don't fish it right haha.

Board index » Rivers » Des Plaines
Jump to: