Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:57pm - Jun 26,12 
I'm looking for somewhere to buy a large about of live minnows in the Yorkville area. I'm willing to drive a little bit. I can get them from the machine in front of Freeman's sports, but I'm looking for more than a half dozen at a time. If anyone knows of somewhere that would be great.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:25am - Jul 23,12 
well you can pretty much go to anybait shop in the area and they will have live minnows i live in chicago and get all my minnows from henreys, park bait, or fish tech the only problem wiht buying alot of minnnows is storeing them over time. they need clean water and never fresh tap water because that will kill them let the tap water sit for a day or 2 in a bucket they also need the water nice cool and cleaned every couple of days and never over crowd them its ok to have 4 dozen in a minnow bucket for a while bt with my exsperiences they will die quickly i modifyed a cooler and had another fish tank in the cool dark spot in my basment where i kept all mine. they can go for a while without eating i gave a small amount of fish flakes every couple of days because what they dont eat pollutes the water and can kill them. with my 55 gal fish tank and 10 gal cooler i could keep about 10 dozen at a time with a max of 3 dozen in the cooler. the nice thing about the cooler is that i would take it to navy peir ice fishing in the winter and the water would never freeze. I hope this helps if their is structure in your fish tank on the bottom like some fake plants pebbles some pvc pie the minnows may lay eggs and you can breed your own i have always gotten the large fat heads for bigger fish and small fat heads for smaller fish. i actualy still have water in my cooler and to this date still have one small fat head liveing because he slipped away from me when i was putting them into my minnow bucket to go power lineing and thats since the 3rd week in april!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:28am - Jul 23,12 
you can also by a product called U 2 and a few dropps turns the water blue with some chemical and that helps keep fish even longer.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:22pm - Jul 23,12 
Just googled live bait in yourkville got this:
Freeman's Sports Inc

Contact details

Address: 129 E Hydraulic St, Yorkville, IL 60560-1529

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:33pm - Jul 23,12 
I would suggest a fishing trip to Shabbona. They give a good count in minnows and you can fish a little while you are there.

Phil

Semper Fidelis
and
God Bless America

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:59pm - Jul 24,12 
You can also use distilled water for keeping larger numbers of minnows in a cooler with an aerator. If you need to change the water, take out about a gallon and replace with fresh distilled. Be advised that if you take the minnows from very cold storage water and put them in a bait bucket in the lake they will die quickly due to shock.

VIETNAM VETERAN U.S.A.F. 66-67

Profile WWW  

Board index » The Tackle Box » Trade A Trip
Jump to: