Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:50am - Jun 6,16 
My son is turning 4 and I want to take him fishing and camping for his birthday. Gonna take my dad along too. I have a 16 ft Sylvan with a 40 hp Suzuki. We are looking for a place that offers camping and quality fishing opportunities (especially walleye). We are willing to drive up to 6 hours as we plan on being gone the entire weekend (we live in Arlington Heights). Any destination suggestions? I already have a WI fishing license so I'm leaning that direction.

John 21:10

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:31pm - Jun 6,16 
Not very familiar with many WI Lakes, but I would suggest Lake Shelbyville in IL. Very nice lake and great crappie and white bass fishing. The have decent populations of walleye and sauger as well. I have always stayed in cabins when spending the weekend there, but I would expect you should not have trouble finding a good place to camp there

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:59pm - Jun 6,16 
I would Suggest the Wolfe River with access to Lake Poygan. A couple of place's to stay is Red Banks an Hahn-A- LuLu's Both are right on the River. Hahn's offers A supper Club, Camping and swimming lake. Have a great trip!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:29pm - Jun 6,16 
I would also suggest the Wolfe River near Poygan. Or, I would suggest somewhere with access to Lake Wisconsin.

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:17am - Jun 7,16 
Door County Wisconsin would be my choice . Its 4 hours away, about 210 miles , and I would take a route that takes you up the shore of Lake Michigan by getting off the main highway at Manitowac Wis. Stop and have a picnic lunch at the rest stop by the shore, with plenty of room for your boat and trailer, and clean restrooms and tables . You will go thru a few quaint towns further up the road ,like Two Rivers, Alaska, and Algoma .I like to stop by the fish cleaning stations and see what's biting. All the time you will be traveling along, and spot the lake, and its torquise color, the farther up you go the prettier ! Once you get to Sturgeon Bay, stop in the visitors info center, and you will get gobs of camping and fishing info ! Purchase the book called Fishing The Door there, as it has a wealth of fishing, and local maps of the back roads there ! Also pick up the flyer the " Fun Map " also very informative . Talk to the visitor center folks they are very helpful and can answer all your questions, and get your weekend off to a great start.
My choice would be to camp at Penisula State Park, or Jellystone Park ! You can call the chamber of commerce of Door Co, and they will send you out brochures on those, and many others if you want ! I would stay on the Bayside (WEST SIDE ) of Door Penisula as it is warmer than the lakeside (EAST SIDE) usually by at least 10 degrees , unless your going in July, then you may want to stay on the Lakeside as its a natural air conditioner , and the beaches have the best sand, in Door co especially the public beach in Jacksonport ! If you need any more info such as ,good restaurants ,boat launches, etc . please feel free to private message me .

Setthehook <(((<

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:16am - Jun 8,16 
Thanks all for the great suggestions, I am looking into all of them. Can't wait to get out there. I will try and share some trip pics when it is all said and done.

John 21:10

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:01pm - Jun 14,16 
If your looking for a great trip head to erie. If you are going early july up to about 10th of july, the walleye come in close to the beach. depends on water temp. Last year we were fishing in 13-14 feet of water and catching lots of walleye. Fenwick Marina in Oak Harbor has tent camping, or you can rent a mobile home she rents. Great area, good restaurants. And if you decide to go out that way I would be more then happy to give you some direction. I believe July is the best month on Lake Erie. And I have fishing out that way for more than 25 years, and have had a trailer in Fenwick since 2007. shoot me a pm if needed, otherwise have fun

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:29am - Jun 15,16 
I like the Lake Wisconsin idea. It is a great multi-species fisheries that is not a difficult bass lake. Bass, walleye, musky, panfish- you are set. While I love Great Lakes fishing, it can be tough especially for first-timers not to mention if the wind picks up.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:07pm - Jun 14,17 
Winnebago, Kalbus campground, right on the water. Plenty of bait shops to help with what is hot. Bobber fishing is spot on for the little guy and the walleye and perch bite night crawler or leech on and around the reefs there.

Board index » The Tackle Box » Trade A Trip
Jump to: