Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:12pm - Nov 6,17 
Thinking about getting a cam or three. Any suggestions on brand or models? Suggested options?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:55pm - Nov 6,17 
I used to like Moultrie cameras but the last 2 I purchased had so many issues I stopped using them. The last good Moultrie I've used was the D-444 (which was excellent) but I don't believe you can find them any more. I tried the M-999i and M-990i but their motion dectection was way to sensitive and it would take pics of nothing until the card filled up or the batteries ran out. I bought these on clearance....now I know why there were on sale.

The last few models I've purchased are all Browning cameras and I've been very happy with them. I have 2 Dark Ops and one Strike Force. The Dark Ops are really great. There's absolutely no flash, nothing that lights up and no noise. I've yet to have a deer look directly at the camera like I have with previous cameras that had IR flash. The Strike Force has the IR flash that it seems to me deer can see or at least react to. Both are small, take great pics/video, usually only take pics of animals and last for months on a set of batteries.

Last year I started recording video on the trail cameras instead of photos. It's much better. You don't have to worry about only getting one blurry pic of that buck walking buy and trying to determine if he's a 9 or 10 pointer. With 10 second video, you can really check out what's coming by your cam. My SD cams I record 30 seconds because the file sizes are small but I like 10 second video for the HD cams. If you want to try video, I recommend getting one that has HD video (most availalbe now are HD).

I typically like to try and stay under $150 for a trail cam. In that price range the Browning's have worked very well for me.

Browning even sells refurbished ones for a good discount: http://shop.browningtrailcameras.com/Refurbished-Cameras_c5.htm

Formerly Anchor Management
Montrose Harbor
Channel 7
-----------------------------------------------------------

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:54am - Nov 7,17 
Depending if you have any old cameras but Bass Pro will give you a credit towards a new camera when you turn in an old one. This usually takes place in September.

I've used a couple different cameras and one suggestion is this. Regardless of public or private land they risk being stolen. I've lost 2 in about 10 years both on private land where nobody else should be. If a neighbor is trespassing they may steal it just so they don't get caught trespassing not because they want the camera.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:38pm - Nov 7,17 
Thank you both. My thought was for at a cabin up in Mich. One for the driveway that can be well hidden but would like to be able to get plate #'s The other I can put on an elevated porch that probably wouldn't be accessed. Thank you both for the info.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:04pm - Nov 7,17 
team danjer wrote:
Thank you both. My thought was for at a cabin up in Mich. One for the driveway that can be well hidden but would like to be able to get plate #'s The other I can put on an elevated porch that probably wouldn't be accessed. Thank you both for the info.

If that's the case, definitely do not get a White Flash or a Glow Infrared Flash both would make the type of human surveillance you're trying to do very difficult since the flash can easily be seen. You want the type of "invisible" flash that the Browning Dark Ops cameras have.

Formerly Anchor Management
Montrose Harbor
Channel 7
-----------------------------------------------------------

Board index » Game Bag » General Hunting Info
Jump to: