Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:30am - May 15,16 
Saturday was the first time I ever fished Shab, my buddy who's been there several times was the guide. Overall thought it was a cool lake. Our plan was to toss some musky lures first thing in the am and then switch over to fishing some cribs for crappie. Well, between the cold front and rain which muddied up the water, we took a skunk for the day. Water clarity was horrible throughout the lake, we fished from the no motor zone all the way south toward the dam wall. Tried multiple cribs and even some deeper water structure where we marked fish. I'll have to get back out there when the conditions are better to try for those crappie agian. On another note, that ice cream/burger stand Screamer's on 30 right near the state park is awesome. Check them out for a burger if you're up there fishing.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:31am - May 15,16 
:drink Seen a muskie landed by a shorefisherman.. Not sure what he was casting...we also targeted the northshore cribs(out of the wind)...picked up 2 and missed several...bounced around the lake and had a real hard time trying to stay over them...like you said we could see them but we just couldn't stay over them long enough to get them figured out...only landed 6 in three hours of work....pulled the plug early and cancelled sunday...unbelievable the standing water in the fields on the way out!!!..It will calm down..just hope the weekends get in sync with the weather... :winker

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:20am - May 16,16 
That lake is tough in murky waters. I'd try the warmest water in the lake time of year for musky which all tend to be on the north side. Shad raps and glide baits would be my personal favorite for spring musky on Shabbona.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:15pm - May 17,16 
Thanks for the thoughts guys. Look forward to getting out there again at some point. This coming Saturday I'll be fishing Spring Lake North and then memorial day weekend up north to boulder junction. So, I'm not sure when I'll have the next opportunity for Shab, but I do see the potential there.

Board index » Lakes » I-80 North
Jump to: