Author
Search for:
Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 04:00pm - Jul 5,15 
Planning on taking a few trips with the family to lake Geneva and hoping to troll a bit for lake trout. Whats the deal with fishing for them. I have never done it before there. Same baits as lake Michigan? Does the boat traffic effect them> What speeds. Do they sit on the bottom and how deep are they? What do you use to get the lures down. Dipseys, lead, riggers??

Thanks for any info.

HTR

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:16pm - Jul 5,15 
Htr
I've never fished for lake trout at geneva but here's some stuff I know.
Get out early and late in the day.
I fish lake como by throwing frogs from yaks for pike and bass and itll b great for u if u follow tip number 1.^
They are only present there as I was talking w another guy about them from delavans bait shop. He said ice fishing is best and most under the ice are like 7 lbs. Sry i do not kno much but i want to help out. (Lake como gets less fishin pressure so make sure to stop there for some of the best pike in wisconsin on the deep end of the lake by pads and bullrush.)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:24pm - Jul 5,15 
Stick with riggers and spoons on shorter leads and fish weekdays. Fish are often suspended. I would avoid leadcore because turning around to make passes with lead is difficult due to the shorter stretches of deep water and high boat traffic volume. The fish are not monsters like the big pond.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:32pm - Jul 5,15 
We fished it quite often in the past and tried everything. By far riggers and spoons are your best bet. Standards and magnums. The fish are suspended but deep. Check your lines often for weeds. Lead not so much but copper 200, 250, 300 and 350 work well. You have to make sharp turns so one board per side will reduce frustration. While Geneva can be crowded no one uses the middle of the lake so 99% of the time we fished without bother. Work the sharper drop offs for browns. Plenty of fish have caught them over 15#. Don't overlook a hard body type swim bait on a copper in white or silver it has always taken the biggest fish. Best speeds for us was 1.5 to 2.0.

"Fishing keeps men boys longer than any other pursuit!" - Zane Grey

Board index » Lakes » I-80 North
Jump to: