Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:33pm - Jul 9,10 
Has anyone fished the creek below Shabbona? I've fished Shabbona a few times and never have even looked to see what it looks like at the end of the spillway. Is the creek wadable and would it be worth the trip? I would imagine there would be all types of fish that come over the dam.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:33pm - Jul 9,10 
I saw a guy hittin the bottom of the spillway for panfish and smallies. IDK how he did, he may have been netting even. After a big rain some fish escape, but the creek isn't the best place there to fish. The success is limited. I watched the spillway for a long time without seeing even a bluegill come down it, and the creek is too small to support big fish for very long. It goes back into private property, be careful if you explore it.

It is a cool little canyon in the morning light, though.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:53pm - Jul 9,10 
LiveBaitNinja wrote:
It goes back into private property, be careful if you explore it.

As long as you are in the water, you can explore it. Pritive land owners do not own the rivers... or creeks.

Here is a good resource.

http://nationalrivers.org/us-law-rights.htm

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:09pm - Jul 12,10 
Hi guys!

Last year me and one of my friends went to an event to rescue muskies out of that river/creek and even though it doesn't look like it there are a ton of fish in there! In about a mile long stretch of river, we our group netted about 10-20 good size muskie and the man leading the rescue told me that they had netted upwards of 70 in one day. Along with all the muskie that we saw netted, I saw many carp and large catfish swim by the nets and a few bass (could not tell if they were largemouth or smallmouth from distance). Hopefully this helps! If you have any more questions feel free to pm me!

- Warning: An employee at the Bass Pro Shops on Boughten Road Warned me that it is prohibited to fish the creek but I don't know if he was trying to scare me away from the spot or if he was telling the truth. Just wanted to include that for your benefit/consideration!

Good Luck!,
-Matt

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:58pm - Jul 14,10 
If it's not private land and not posted No Fishing, there is nothing to prevent your fishing the creek. Just because he works for BPS doesn't mean he knows jack about anything not hanging on the rack. IL laws are pretty clear about what is, and is not, fishable waters.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:49pm - Jul 14,10 
I don't know if it is off limits right now but I can tell you it will be for sure and posted soon as a downstream barrier is almost approved. Hopefully if anyone does fish it, they will return their catch to the lake and not be a folks that keep fish. :noway

Profile WWW  

Board index » Lakes » I-80 North
Jump to: