Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:14pm - Sep 15,09 
Hey every one out there! If you guys have heard about the biggest news since sliced bread, fishing is an official high school sport in illinois. I am the captain of Marist's bass fishing team. This seasons schedule starts this sunday the 20th at lake shabbonna. I have only fished this lake once advice and pointers would be very helpful thanks :bday:

Chitown-Angler

Location: Des Plaines, Illinois -20' Palm Beach Center Console

Post Posted: 08:08pm - Sep 15,09 
Wonderful for You and All of the High Schools involved Bassman!

I would be as subtle as possible for this tournament because the lake is fairly heavily fished, it's the end of summer and odds are any decent sized bass has been caught once or twice before and is therefore that much the wiser.

I'm talking about a hook and a plastic worm...No Weight.. Berkley Power_________ (fill in the blank) Not too small of worm that the Bluegill are bothering you all day.
Just cast and let it freefall. There is enough weight in the worm and hook to cast.

Free line it using spinning (open faced) reel- The baitcaster you've been practicing with can wait until you're on a sponsored tour in Texas and Georgia.

Slow as molassis on the retreive. STUDY, NEVER TAKE YOUR EYES OFF, KEEP WATCHING, KEEP WATCHING, PAY ATTENTION to the fishing line precisely where it meets the water. If it moves out of the ordinare, especially in the opposite direction, set the hook. Do NOT wait for the tug. A missguided hookset is much better than a missed bass.

Don't think about ESPN and the BASS Fishermen using heavier line slamming the hook home when are pulling out a monster bass. Those tournaments are on thousands of acre lakes. Shabbona is just over 300 acres.

Looks like the Weather is gonna stay stable through the tourney.

If it were me, whether from a boat or on shore, I would:

1st) I'd fish as close to dead shallow as possible and cast up and down the shore instead of casting out. Retreive extremely slow. Positively eight pound test max. Six pound would be perfect.

2ND) Wherever I saw structure, not neccessarily the old trees sticking up, I'm talking about piers, brush edges and the like.
Cast to the deepest spot of that structure and again,

SLOW ON THE RETRIEVE AND WATCH YOUR LINE WHERE IT MEETS THE WATER! IF YOUR IN A FRAME OF MIND THAT YOU-SHOULD WAIT FOR THE TUG ON SHABBONA LAKE THIS TIME OF YEAR YOU'LL BE WAITING A LONG TIME.

Just think of all the guys who finally got a weekend off on the Fourth of July to go fishing at a decent local lake in Illinois. "Hmm? Maybe I'll fish Shabbona with the other three hundred guys thinking just like me?

Them Bass are still seeing Fireworks Kid, and not for the bright flashes but because they remember.

I wish you all of the luck in the world Bassman,

Be Careful and Bring Home The GOODS!

Bernie

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:39am - Sep 16,09 
Yeah I think that's all great advice. I was there a few days ago with no personal luck but my friend caught 3 little bass with a small warm rigged texas and with a small weight. I had 3 bites or so all using a worm rigged texas and a small weight. That's all the helpful info I have. The bite was subtle so like the guy before me said if you think you have a bite set the hook. Fish slow and fish well... good luck.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:01am - Sep 16,09 
Bassman-

When you contemplate a slow retrieve think about this; when you reel in a crankbait the count (for one full turn of the handle) is one, two, three, four....Crank Crank Crank Crank; Two to three full turns of the handle per second.

When you are reeling this Saturday you want tiny, un-noticable tweaks of the worm through the water. You will achieve this by a small Tick Tick of the rod tip...1/4 turn of the reel and bring the plastic worm three to five inches closer to yourself. THEN WAIT- COUNT TO FIVE- Another 1/4 turn... Then again, a few inches of movement on the plastic closer and wait... count to five.

REMEMBER: Watch your line where it meets the water. It will move inconsistantly with the physics of its relationship to the water; Sideways, down, away or toward you (slack in the line when you think it shouldn't).

SET THE HOOK!

Don't concern yourself with the initial impatience of your situation. The initial anxiety of fishing like this will pass. I promise it will be frustrating at first and you will lose focus. Stay with the plan.

Good Luck... Be Safe

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:10pm - Sep 16,09 
bassman-
Bernie is right on. Shabbona is the most overfished lake in Illinois...no question about it. With the hp limit, there are never pleasure boaters, and there a TON of people who fish live bait. I mainly muskie fish out there but have caught plenty of bass and a few nice walleye. The IHSA should consider fishing a bigger body of water and one much less pressured...even the cooling lakes (except Heidecke) would not be bad. I would recommend many of the Kankakee or Illinois Rivers, Shelbyville, Sara,or any of the lakes near Carbondale for your guys "Classic" (if you have one). Like Bernie said fish slow. My only disagreement with him would be to only fish shallow. Just like the big muskies, the big bass eat suspended shad in this lake. Besides concentrating only on weeds and obvious structure, there are some break lines in the lake. Many of the bass I have caught in this lake have been in the No motor zone in the trees or off break lines. Try and get out to the lake a few times before your tourney to learn the lake as well. There is no substitute for first hand knowledge. Good luck and I am eager to hear what the winning weight is going to be.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:38pm - Sep 16,09 
hey thanks to every one so far its been good i was out to day from 4-7 i got 4 bass one on the weightless yum dinger worm one on a deep crank bait in 18 feet of water he weighed 4.1 :mrgreen: yeah baby but then i went into the slop and got 2 2 pounders on a fast retrieve spinner bait half ounce sexy shad so who knows lol

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:44pm - Sep 16,09 
o and mattbass we have 4 little tourney s this is the first of the year we also have a fall classic which is on lake shellbyville other small ones on maple lake lake coffen egypt lake and a few others then in the spring sectionals last year were at tampier but only 2 fish were caught with 40 anglers and 8 hours of fishing so i hope it gets changed and the state tourni is at carleyil

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:30pm - Sep 16,09 
:shock: oh

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Location: Batavia & Coal City, IL; 17' '85 Ranger 335-V Bass Boat w/ 115hp Evinrude. Let's go fishin'

Post Posted: 09:50am - Sep 17,09 
If the thunderstorms hold off this weekend (until Sunday afternoon like they are calling for), the weigh-in might really be something to see.

The 1st annual Shabbona Muskie Open is Saturday from 6AM-9:30PM. Expect there to have been a whole lot of boat traffic, and probably some large sucker minnows still floating out there from the night before. :D

My son and his partner will be fishing from my boat. Have fun.

P.S. Look for us at the launch, but note... they will not be fishing with any of the baits they have tied on at the start. :D

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:53pm - Sep 18,09 
hey every one leaving school here in a few any one got any last minute tips i can try for practice today

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:49am - Sep 19,09 
ok was out from 4-7 got 2 lm. bass both 15 inch. and a 12 inch sm.bass 1 lm caught on a texas style ribbon tail worm, top water frog and a rattler trap

Chitown-Angler

Location: Batavia & Coal City, IL; 17' '85 Ranger 335-V Bass Boat w/ 115hp Evinrude. Let's go fishin'

Post Posted: 05:58pm - Sep 19,09 
The time you've put in should pay off for you tomorrow. I understand that there will be 20 boats competing. Good luck. Have fun.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:48pm - Sep 20,09 
well great morning with in the first 20 min i had a 3 lb bass come out of the water for my buzz bait but just missed it hour later got 1 thought it would count but it was 13.6 in not 14 then a few issed hitts later and a follow up by a 30 in musky it was all over only 2 fish cought a 3 lb and a 1.5 o well a lot of thanks to my driver jim and well get them next year

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:49pm - Sep 20,09 
well great morning with in the first 20 min i had a 3 lb bass come out of the water for my buzz bait but just missed it hour later got 1 thought it would count but it was 13.6 in not 14 then a few issed hitts later and a follow up by a 30 in musky it was all over only 2 fish cought a 3 lb and a 1.5 o well a lot of thanks to my driver jim and well get them next year

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:13am - Sep 21,09 
The thunderstorms held off a little too long I guess. :D Someone did hear that a non-tournament boat caught a 6 pounder yesterday though.

I think everyone had a good time. I know we did. It was nice to talk to you guys out there.

The most excitement in our boat (one of the Batavia boats) came when one of the boys hooked into something that may have started out as a fish, but ended up as a snag. :cry: It was fun to watch as he battled... "please be a bass, please be a bass, please be a bass". :D All I kept thinking was... what do I do if he's hooked a musky?

A nice repeat victory for Batavia High School, who won this event last year. Way to go Bulldogs!

And, a nice second place finish for Marmion Academy who took second in the 2009 Secional last year as well. Nice job!

1. Batavia High School, 1 Fish, 2 pounds 15 ounces (16.5 in)
2. Marmion Academy, 1 Fish, 1 pound 15 ounces (15 in)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:25pm - Sep 21,09 
So Jeff, did the boys put any fish in your boat?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:36pm - Sep 21,09 
GooseHunter wrote:
So Jeff, did the boys put any fish in your boat?

No. However, the minute Matthew got home from school today, all he has been talking about is when the two of them can get out bass fishing again.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:58pm - Sep 21,09 
Congrats to the Batavia team. To bad that front didn't move in sooner. I was out there on Friday. Very tough conditions with the high pressure and bluebird skies. Managed 5 bass and raised no skis. Water was stained with only half foot of visibility.

Go Big Red!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:14pm - Sep 21,09 
:D Crappie fishing was still very consistent...went out before the rain and did well...even sat through some of the rain ...saw a great rainbow after a Pokanoka burger and still heard the Bears on the ride home....what a great day....

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:54pm - Sep 21,09 
Crappie Professor wrote:
:D Crappie fishing was still very consistent...went out before the rain and did well...even sat through some of the rain ...saw a great rainbow after a Pokanoka burger and still heard the Bears on the ride home....what a great day....

No matter a good or bad day on the water, you can't beat that char burger. I had a double with bacon.

Go Big Red!

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Lakes » I-80 North
Jump to: