Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:33pm - Feb 2,09 
This is from Denny Sands at Lakeside.

Mark your calanders, Walleye Open April 18th, 8 AM - 10 PM. The big Walleye at Shabbona are typically up spawning around the 3rd week in April. Water temp is near 55 degrees and the Walleye are shallow.

This will be the 4th Annual walleye event. The 1st one was scheduled too early in the month and only one keeeper Walleye was recorded. The second one, was too late in the month. Last year, was held over two weekends and messed up by bad weather each weekend.

So this being the 4th event should be the charm.

Those of you who fish early walleye at Lake Erie or the Wisconsin River, can you give some tips for catching early pre-spawn to spawning Walleye.

We Are Going For The Record!!!
3rd Annual Shabbona Lake Walleye Opener, Saturday, April 18th

On Saturday April 18, Walleye fishermen will have a unique opportunity to experience something that has only happened three times before. For one night only, April 18th, Shabbona Lake will be open till 10 PM, allowing anglers a rare chance to catch a really trophy size Walleye, right here in Northern Illinois.

This amazing opportunity is being offered by the Illinois Department Of Natural Resources and Shabbona’s Lakeside Bait, Tackle & Boat Rental as a “Thank You” to all of the sportsman who help make Shabbona Lake State Park the greatest fishery in Illinois.

Shabbona Lake, located in Southern DeKalb County, 30 miles west of Aurora, Illinois, has for years been a “”brood lake” for Walleye. Due to Lake’s excellent habitat and forage base, Shabbona Lake was designated by the IDNR as a lake capable of producing very large Walleye and Muskie. Size limit for Walleye was raised to 18 inches and Muskie size limit was raised to 48 inches to help protect the trophy fish.

These limits ensured the IDNR with brood stock that can be used to supply state hatcheries every spring with eggs and sperm from Shabbona Lake’s huge Walleye and Muskie. It also created a fishery with State Record potential Walleye and Muskie. 4 State Of Illinois Record Muskie and 2 State Of Illinois Record Hybrid Crappie already adorn Shabbona’s legacy.

The only missing ingredient is a State Record Walleye. Previous IDNR Spring collections of brood stock have produced both Walleye and Muskie capable of being new State Records, if caught by a lucky angler.

Those of us who have been lucky enough to help the IDNR staff during the Spring setting of hoop nets and gill nets over the years have noticed one main factor. The biggest females cruise the shoreline AFTER dark. This is only the third opportunity ever for anglers to catch these monsters.

Shabbona’s Lakeside Bait, Tackle & Boat Rental has a certified State Of Illinois scale to weigh any potential State Record. Lakeside will be open to 10 PM on April 18th, with the official weigh in closing a 9:45 PM.

Lakeside will be offering $100. for the largest legal Walleye caught on April 18th from Shabbona Lake. An additional $100. will be awarded, if the Walleye breaks the current lake record of 9.9 pounds. (This could very easily happen!). If that Walleye breaks the current State Of Illinois Record of 14 pounds, Lakeside will award an additional $500., making a potential payout total of $700!!!

No entry fee and no pre-registration required. Just show up and fish!!!
For more information call Lakeside Bait, Tackle & Boat Rental at 815-824-2581. Lakeside will have a limited number of rental boats available with lights for April 18th, call early! See you on April 18th!!!

April 18th Guidelines

1. Have Fun!! - Required!!!

2. No Pre-registration or sign up of any kind

3. No Entry Fee

4. Off the water by 9:30 PM, & leaving the entrance gate by 10 PM

5. $100 for the Largest Legal Walleye of the Day, April 18th, (From 8 AM - 9:45 PM), an additional $100 for that Walleye if it breaks the Lake Record of 9.9 pounds, an additional $500 if that Walleye breaks the State Of Illinois Record of 14 Pounds. Total possible payout of $700. Walleye must be caught from Shabbona Lake on April 18th, 2008.

6. Weigh in at Lakeside Bait, Tackle & Boat Rental between 8AM & 9:45 PM

7. We welcome you to rent from Lakeside, use your own boat or fish from shore. (10 HP limit on Lake)

8. Two Conservation Officers will be on duty that evening. Please obey all laws. After dark, please move at idle speed.

9. Stop in at Pokanoka's Cafe (next to Lakeside) for Dollar Day Specials on April 18th, between 11 AM - 7 PM. $1 hot dog, $1 BBQ, $1 French Fries, & more!!!

10. Weigh your fish in anytime April 18th before 9:45 PM.! Fish must be weighed in prior to 9:45 sharp!

Shabbona’s Lakeside Bait, Tackle & Boat Rental
Denny Sands (815-824-2581)

Go Big Red!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:06pm - Feb 2,09 
So you $700 if you catch a fish from last year??

April 18th 2008 :)

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 09:12pm - Feb 2,09 
Ice fished the lake a few years back, but thought it was SOUTH of I-80 :roll:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:15pm - Feb 2,09 
wsj_outdoorsman wrote:

It is north. It is however south of I-88 which is what you might be thinking.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:39pm - Feb 2,09 
wsj_outdoorsman wrote:

We wish it was south of 80 buddy!

Go Big Red!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:43pm - Feb 2,09 
twade wrote:
So you $700 if you catch a fish from last year??

April 18th 2008 :)

Same rules as last year.

Go Big Red!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:43pm - Feb 8,09 
Husker, I definitely agree with you, we do wish it was south of I-80. How is husker's pond? Is the ice melting? I was thinking about trying to get out there Tuesday afternoon since it supposed to be like 63. [/quote]

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:40am - Feb 9,09 
datewithmidnight wrote:
Husker, I definitely agree with you, we do wish it was south of I-80. How is husker's pond? Is the ice melting? I was thinking about trying to get out there Tuesday afternoon since it supposed to be like 63.
[/quote]

I was out there Sunday afternoon after I got back from the Tinley Show. There is still plenty of ice on the pond. None of the shorelines opened up yet. Depending on how much rain we get tonight, it very well might open up on Tuesday. It's worth a try. Let me know how it goes.

Go Big Red!

Board index » Lakes » I-80 North
Jump to: