Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:38pm - Jul 14,03 
Hit the lake this morning at about 7am, no wind and water calm as glass. For the first hour the topwater bite on rapalas was incredible, I caught at least 15 bass in the hour and the biggest was a 4.4lb smallie, my biggest smallie to date that's been weighed. Then the wind kicked up out of the south, which is the worst wind you can have at this lake due to its' layout. I decided to try for some gills for a fish fry, first spot I hit I spent about 2 hours culling 26 fish between 8 and 11"(only one was 11" most of the rest were right at 8"). I then ventured to a downed tree and my bobber went under and when I set the hook I was stuck in the branches, I went over to get my jig back(those dang mini mites are expensive!!!!!) and spooked at least 15 crappies out of the tree, the smallest one would have gone 12" easily and the rest were considerably bigger, alas I didn't get in on that action. Ran out of waxies and spent the rest of the day catching bass. Found that I was getting smaller fish on a 1/4 oz black spinnerbait, so I upped the ante with a 3/8 with a colorado and a huge willow leaf. I didn't catch another bass under 2lbs the rest of the day. Ended up with 47 bass over 15", only 2 were smallies but the big one made up for this. All in all another fine day a the lake.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:58pm - Jul 14,03 
So does I hate myself mean anything to you. I tried and there was no way to swing it. :puter

Support Staff

Post Posted: 08:14pm - Jul 14,03 
I YI YI

JP;
do you have those days often?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:26pm - Jul 14,03 
Any, at this lake this is the norm, for bass anyways. Take a look at my other posts on this lake, it's incredible. Today was the first time in 5 years I specifically targeted bluegills here but two years ago while walleye fishing while the gills were prespawn I took a gill that went 1.1 lbs and my guest that day got one 1lb even along with about 15 more really nice ones. There are huge gills there and a huge population, they used to have a 15 or 25 limit per person per day, but now there is no limit and it doesn't seem to have affected the size any. Also decent walleye, and crappie populations and I'm just starting to discover the northern and musky population(by accident of course).

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:09am - Jul 15,03 
JP wrote:
I'm just starting to discover the northern and musky population(by accident of course).

One heck of an accident JP :lol: .....keep those reports coming 8)

Murph

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:30am - Jul 15,03 
Barracuda, any toothy critters I have caught have hit spinnerbaits fishing for bass, for six years I never saw one, now this year I've got two northerns, and almost a musky(quick release next to the boat). I have seen pics of some 12lb fish in the marina in the past and remember an article last year or the year before in the local paper about a guy who spent a morning turkey hunting in the spring, bagged a huge tom, and then fished the afternoon and got a 15lbish northern out of the lake(we could all use a day like that every now and then). In the early 80's the state record musky came out of this lake too, but has since been eclipsed several times. But I haven't targeted them intentionally yet.

Board index » Lakes » I-80 North
Jump to: