Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:16pm - Jun 16,03 
Ok, so I didn't give the lake a rest like I said I would in previous post and returned today with a buddy. Got on water at 7am and fished until 4pm. Total between the two of us 70 bass over 15" about 85% LM and 15% SM, several nice gills and I got 1 26" northern and lost a short 18"ish musky at the boat. Would have caught more but after the northern my buddy decided to target them the rest of the day throwing spoons to no avail, then getting disappointed when I got the musky on the same spinnerbait I caught most of my bass and the northern on. Early the topwater bite was phenomenal on floating rapalas, then slowed and the spinnerbait bite was hot, then the sun got high and went to a worm bite, followed by some cloudy skies which caused the spinnerbait bite to return towards the end of the day. I am fishing with a relative novice and observed him tying on an eagle claw snelled hook, hooking a yellow twister tail on like you would a minnow and putting a huge split shot right above it :shock: , I was just about to attempt to show him how to rig the twister on a jig head and explain why that would be a more orthodox presentation when he decided to catch the biggest bass of the day on the rig he made up, a 3.2 lb largemouth. Needless to say I kept my mouth shut and sucked it up. All and all another great day, if I continue to go up there weekly I should get a deer with my truck well before hunting season opens, they're all over the place up there. End of the month I have a training class 20 miles from the lake and the inn where I'm staying has room for my boat. I can't believe I'll be getting paid to shoot all day and fish all night, life is good :D

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:33pm - Jun 16,03 
I want to talk to you boss damn it.

You've been messing in action, how you been JP? It sounds like you guys had an easy day on the lake. Did the smallies have any size to them?

Let me know what your schedule looks like and I'll take a couple days vacation and we can switch lakes for a day.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:45pm - Jun 16,03 
Biggest smallie was 17", didn't weigh it but it was a football, easy 2 1/2lbs or so. All bass were pooping crayfish all over my boat, but of course I didn't feel like diggin' out my bass jigs. Huge gills were on the beds all over the lake. Marc, I'll pm ya with my days off. By the way, my boss is already upset about since he can't go with me :lol:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:33am - Jun 17,03 
So when you say shoot all day what time do you guys get off the range?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:22am - Jun 17,03 
Class description says we'll shoot until 4-5pm with a couple of night shoots thrown in to make the 40 hrs since it's only going 4 days due to the 4th of July. The night shoots are gonna cut into my fishing time, I hate when that happens :x , the place I'm shooting is the SITE and supposedly has a pretty cool hunting rifle course offered. I'll evaluate the instructors and post even though that's not the course I'm in. I think it will be pretty righteous though, the guy that owns the place is Herschel, not sure on the last name right now but anyone who's seen the navy seal specials on Discovery channel has seen him, he's the guy with the handle bar mustache who they interview quite frequently. I can't wait, and the best part is I can relax during this course since I already hold the certification it provides, I'm just going to try to pick up new training drills for my department.

Board index » Lakes » I-80 North
Jump to: