Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:25am - Nov 25,19 
does anyone know why we are not allowed to take our boat to fish, safely, in northpoint
i understand not being in the entrance, but to puts around some of the docs,
isnt it supposed to be allowed because its attached to navigable waterway?
im sure there is some loophole that allows them to say no, just curious
also on the fox river there is a harbor i want to take my canoe in to fish, but it says no fishing in harbor
again, in sure the forest preserve has some work around to stop us, but really curious how
i cant get a straight answer when i call

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:53pm - Nov 25,19 
Probably a security and vandalism issue by those that don't care about other people's property ! Again a few spoil it for the rest of us !

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:43pm - Dec 3,19 
It is all political . Only Yatch club members may fish those waters in the off season .

Captain Bill

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 10:15am - Dec 5,19 
NEPTUNE48 wrote:
Probably a security and vandalism issue by those that don't care about other people's property ! Again a few spoil it for the rest of us !

This

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:59pm - Dec 5,19 
Lots of these "rules" do not seem lawful. It seems like all these organizations come up with this stuff and theres no push back so it sticks. I was harrassed by a chicago harbors worker in a boat for fishing in a harbor this summer by boat. He told me I can only fish designated spots in the harbors. I told him its public water, he said he'd call the cops I told him to go ahead. He left and did not come back.

All navigable water in Illinois is owned by the citizens and held "in trust" by the state. It's our water not the city's or the yacht clubs or anyone else no matter what they say.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:50am - Dec 6,19 
Fishy Scent wrote:
Lots of these "rules" do not seem lawful. It seems like all these organizations come up with this stuff and theres no push back so it sticks. I was harrassed by a chicago harbors worker in a boat for fishing in a harbor this summer by boat. He told me I can only fish designated spots in the harbors. I told him its public water, he said he'd call the cops I told him to go ahead. He left and did not come back.

All navigable water in Illinois is owned by the citizens and held "in trust" by the state. It's our water not the city's or the yacht clubs or anyone else no matter what they say.

Yep. Pretty much this.

Profile WWW  

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 12:33pm - Dec 7,19 
Fishy Scent wrote:

A boat harbor is not a public navigable waterway. They are Privately owned and can make any rules they want. Now the fact that the guy left and you saw no cops can be for many reasons but most likely the guy getting paid $14 a hour doesn't really care enough to follow up.

I don't blame them for keeping fishermen out. When I had my boat in Waukegan for a year I think 3 times I found a lure snagged on my boat. Once in my canvas and other 2 on the rod holders. Then you have the chance of a big fish taking your line into the running gear of a boat and braided line with tear up seals.

Now does that mean that I think that all fishermen should be kept out of the harbor or at least confined to some open areas. Yes I do to protect my and other boaters property from the few that don't give a crap. As the saying goes. A few ruin it for many.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:45pm - Dec 7,19 
The water is fed by lake Michigan its is lake Michigan water not private water. It may be the option of some that its private but if you read law and some of the case law it seems pretty clear. Also a boat can navigate into it thus defining it as 'navigable.' Where are you getting private from?

Too bad about your boat but you dont have a right to infringe on people's rights in order to protect private property.

Someone threw a rock at my window the other night. Does that mean we should make it illegal to walk around with rocks in your pockets? Or to throw rocks? No!
When the rock thrown damages someone or something that's when the crime has occurred.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:51pm - Dec 7,19 
Another thing is to think about the slips in the Calumet river and the Indiana harbor shipping canals. Dont you think if they had any legal authority those companies would ban fishing by boat in those areas? They can't because it's public water.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:45pm - Dec 8,19 
Storm Warning wrote:
Fishy Scent wrote:

A boat harbor is not a public navigable waterway. They are Privately owned and can make any rules they want. Now the fact that the guy left and you saw no cops can be for many reasons but most likely the guy getting paid $14 a hour doesn't really care enough to follow up.

I don't blame them for keeping fishermen out. When I had my boat in Waukegan for a year I think 3 times I found a lure snagged on my boat. Once in my canvas and other 2 on the rod holders. Then you have the chance of a big fish taking your line into the running gear of a boat and braided line with tear up seals.

Now does that mean that I think that all fishermen should be kept out of the harbor or at least confined to some open areas. Yes I do to protect my and other boaters property from the few that don't give a crap. As the saying goes. A few ruin it for many.

On any public body of water, there is no "private water." Unless it's something roped off that's owned by the government, like by the plants on the cooling lakes. The other thing is, can the public launch a boat there? Yes, so it's therefore publically navigable water. I've been through this many times with people that try to keep you from wading past their house on the rivers. You can't "own" the water, unless you own the land that the water resides on. If I have a private strip pit contained entirely on my land, then that is a private body of water. If I own a house on the Fox River, I don't own the section of river that corresponds to my river frontage. I can even wade a river, or boat a river, that resides entirely on private property, so long as I gained access to the river via public property. Also, how does your argument hold up when I can go shore fish in the harbor and cast to the docks and boats from shore? I'm sorry, but this idea that harbors are "private property" is a scheme setup to keep people away from their $200,000 boats, and nothing more.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:18am - Dec 17,19 
If people own the underwater rights , you may cross on boat but not wading . You can not touch the bottom . That is mostly for smaller lakes . I.E. East Loon Lake IL. Now even if I own the underwater rights from shore to shore in a river , I can not rope it off in any way as to stop water access . The underwater rights my family owns on Loon lake can not be roped off as to stop access from water , but you can not anchor on it , build a pier or duck blind on it / anchor a boat and hunt out of it . We own the bottom , but not the water .
Harbors , most of the rules , legal or not , are from a few that caused damage to not only boats but harbor pieces as well . It was the few that as always ruin it for the rest of us .
Looking at some posts in other forums I see people are going where it is posted not to . This will just have the whole area closed . Would not need to pay someone to chase people way , just arrest anyone who fishes there then .
I am not saying that the rules some of these places have are legal or even fair , just what they are .

Captain Bill

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:36am - Dec 18,19 
The "it is what it is" or "that's just the way it is" attitude is the most reprehensible stance a person can take. What if this was the attitude of MLK or the people who fought for civil rights? Or the people living under tototalitarian regimes throughout history? You'd be someone's property!!!
I am not someones property! And I understand the sacrifices brave people had to make for it to be this way.

If the rules are unlawful it's our responsibility to fight it and fix it. Not to say "oh well, that's the way it is." That's why things are so messed up, cowards too willing to take the easy road.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:54pm - Dec 18,19 
Fishy Scent wrote:
The "it is what it is" or "that's just the way it is" attitude is the most reprehensible stance a person can take. What if this was the attitude of MLK or the people who fought for civil rights? Or the people living under tototalitarian regimes throughout history? You'd be someone's property!!!
I am not someones property! And I understand the sacrifices brave people had to make for it to be this way.

If the rules are unlawful it's our responsibility to fight it and fix it. Not to say "oh well, that's the way it is." That's why things are so messed up, cowards too willing to take the easy road.

:shock Your intitled to your opinion. I don't disagree in general but in the context of a discussion about fishing access at harbors? I find it kind of offensive your comparing the issues and impling some of the ethical, helpful site members are "Cowards". I also think your wrong assuming not being allowed to fish in harbors is illegal. The right to navigate the water is protected but that doesn't mean you can do whatever you want. There is a big difference between open to the public and public land. Being inside the harbor is like being at someone's business or store. The harbor can legally make rules regarding what can and can't be done inside the harbor - area of their responsibility.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:23pm - Dec 18,19 
I am not asserting that I am 100% correct. Yes it sounds feasible that the harbors have an area of responsibility in which they can make rules. But what is the limit on those rules? Like the above poster said he may own the land below but he does not own the water.
Like I said in an earlier post the rules don't seem legal, regardless of reason. I'm not attacking anyone's opinion just their reasoning behind the opinion. Nor did I mean to directly offend anyone or imply that this is an ethical equivalent. Just that the reason of "that's just the way it is" in terms of people having undue control over one another is reprehensible.
My sincere apologies to any offend, I will attempt to use weaker language in the future.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:04am - Dec 19,19 
It is what it is because of the hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage that has been caused by some slob fishermen .
Fishing is not the only thing affected by these a-holes .
Chain O Lakes state park WAS a great place to hunt . Now look at it . Days cut back , birds released right on rd. so hunts are over quick .
Low number of birds released .
Morris Wetlands WAS a great place to hunt . Guys kept having to cross on private land . Now try to walk back there .
Karen and I went to the IL. Conservation congress and were members of said Congress . This would have been a place for all these law concerns .
Funny did not see ANY OF YOU GUYS THERE .
So before you go quoting famous people , the Captain suggests YOU WALK THE WALK first .

Captain Bill

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:19am - Dec 19,19 
Storm Warning wrote:
Fishy Scent wrote:

As per usual, Brian hits the nail on the head. The lack of respect for other peoples property, has basically made it a zero tolerance. Shore fisherman in the fall with snag hooks and braid thick as cable, are one thing, but you also get bass boats that attempt to fish the posts and piers, and hook into boats during the summer. I've been on my boat in Waukegan and hit by a tube jig from a bass boat. The Isinglass and canvas repairs I've had to make from year to year because of shore lures, is ridicules. I've politely asked shore fisherman and boaters to not fish near my boat, and 99% of the time, people don't respond politely. I now try to pull my boat before October 1st before the lead hook launchers start. It saves me money in repairs, but shortens my season. I've seen security in Waukegan doing their best the last two years, but they seem outnumbered.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:48am - Dec 19,19 
I do not believe the water in a harbor is private, therefore I disagree he "hit the nail on the head."
Since I am a known walker of the walk I guess I will quote a famous person for those of you who don't understand what I am attempting to imply:  "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  Benjamin Franklin.

You have to admit the damage done by a criminal with a gun is much more than can be done to a boat. By your logic no one should be able to own a gun because of the potential hazard. A few ruin it for everyone, right?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:16am - Dec 19,19 
Here's a brave guy who knows and is willing to assert his rights. He is in Wisconsin but it is similar here in IL.

https://youtu.be/NjXkPv89yck

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:20am - Dec 20,19 
I feel the lock comin on . LOL

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:49am - Dec 20,19 
Is that what happens on this site when someone has an opposing view to that of the moderators?

"Better lock the page before our readers realize we support shutting down public access to public bodies of water to protect our own private intrests."

Can people not have a substantive discussion about the rules that govern our actions on the water?

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Lake Michigan » General Lake Michigan
Jump to: