Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:17pm - Jan 13,21 
With the weather looking great I was thinking about taking the boat on the big lake and going after perch, small mouth, Lakers, whatever is biting. I was hoping to fish in IL waters near Chicago. Does anyone know where one might launch and any traveling, permitting, parking, launch fees one might need to be aware of? Is it all shutdown due to Covid?

John 21:10

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:23pm - Jan 14,21 
Turning cold by the weekend I think you missed this window. No chatter about our lakefront maybe it's great and they're keeping it on the DL. Look at Lake Link Wi. Milwaukee Harbor in the last couple of days reports of 30 fish in four hours w pictures. I fish the big lake typically out of South Haven in an 18' tin boat and do get earlier and later in the season each year. Personally, mid winter big water is not something to jump in to with both feet for a first adventure. Cold water is unforgiving.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:49am - Jan 15,21 
95th street launch

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:47pm - Jan 15,21 
95th street launch is - 9801 South Ave G Chicago which is in Calumet Park. The section of 95th Street from I94 to its end at Ewing Ave is mostly pot holes and I avoid it when I can. I would use LSD south off of I55. You will find the lakefront nearly deserted but not closed based on my 3 trips in the past 2 weeks all on foot. Temps hovering at freezing Sat AM bring some salt for the ramps. There are 2 sets of ramps there. I would suggest the N one both for ease of loading when the wind which will pick up and blow out of the NW later in the day and because the high water has submerged pilings just off the S set of ramps. In low light or if it's chalky they can be hard to see. Tight lines.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:03pm - Jan 15,21 
The other 3 lane launch at 95th has no potholes and is steeper so you don't have to back in as far.There are wooden catwalks that ice up.The only problem is with east or southeast wind the launch gets waves beating in.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:24am - Jan 18,21 
one of those launches in the set of 3 I believe has a HUGE pot hole under the waterline. Don't ask me how I know and don't ask me what I did with my soiled undergarments when I thought my boat launched itself....

Board index » Lake Michigan » General Lake Michigan
Jump to: