Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Author
Search for:
Message

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 05:55am - Jul 14,18
Posts: 26

Post Posted: 04:50am - Oct 13,20 
Top  
Hello

I am currently looking to upgrade to a bigger and newer boat. I was wondering if anyone could possibly offer me any advice. Most of my fishing is on Lake Michigan and usually on those calmer days 1-3' is all I would ever probably hope to fish in. I do also fish on inland lakes when I can't fish the big lake. (so I do need something trailerable)

I really like the Crestliner Commander or some of the Alumacraft and Starcraft models as well. I'm looking for an 1850-20' aluminum boat. Either brand new or possibly as close to brand new as I could find. By chance could anyone possibly please offer me any advice on their opinion on what might be a better boat and or any pros and cons. Or any other suggestions.

As most probably do know the prices on these new boats are just out of this world, I see some that cost almost as much as my house is worth :(
But it is my dream and goal to do this and I am ready to buy now or first thing next year.
I'd like to ask for one more piece of advice. I do have good credit, have a decent down payment ready but I would still require some financing.
If I were to find a boat from a private seller how could I get good financing? My bank doesn't offer boat loans and the one Credit Union I contacted only had loans that were under 6 years making the monthly payment quite steep.

I would hope to find something around the $30,000 price range is what I'm trying to shoot for if that's even possible for what I'm hoping to find.

I thank you for reading and I'd greatly appreciate any friendly advice or suggestions.

Thanks
Dave

 Profile  

Offline
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Joined: 07:23pm - Sep 3,04
Posts: 1069

Post Posted: 06:51am - Oct 13,20 
Top  
I really don't know much about what you are asking, other that the boat that John Bergsma runs on his show - The Crestliner 2250 Authority (I think) - looks pretty awesome. Maybe check out the Great Lakes Fisherman's Digest if you have not seen that show before.

It would be fun to be shopping for a boat like that or the ones you mentioned. Good luck.

_________________
John

Green Machine

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 03:33pm - May 3,13
Posts: 198
Location: Darkside

Post Posted: 08:29am - Oct 13,20 
Top  
$30,000 isn’t going to get you a new boat but you can find a nice used boat in that range no doubt. I think your on the right track with Aluminum boats if your looking for newer in that price range, 30k will get you a 10 year old fiberglass boat.

Sounds like a Alumacraft Trophy or Lund Tyee type boat would suit your needs, both are good boats IMO, don’t have experience with any other aluminum boats although many appear nice. It’s fine line for getting a used boat because something will always be sacrificed. Make sure your truck can handle pulling that load and your storage space will accommodate. I’d seek a lightly used boat and motor and have the motor compression checked and hours read before selecting anything. Also consider where you will have it serviced and what that service provider is authorized to work on.

I’d also check Walleye Central classified add as reference for market prices. I’d not finance anything over 4.75% with good credit, if they offer a rate over that I’d look somewhere else.

I fish out of a 2012 Alumacraft Trophy 175 w/Yamaha F115xa and have no complaints also trailer on long trips and store in my garage without issues. Mine was 5 years old with less than 70 hours on motor - 22k in 2017, new it was close to or over 30k.

_________________
Who decides reason?

 Profile  

Offline
Sponsor
Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: 06:23pm - Apr 7,08
Posts: 4030
Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 10:02am - Oct 13,20 
Top  
Go with a saltwater fiberglass boat. Much better ride and most are better built then all the tin boats. The other thing is when you are looking at the saltwater glass boats they are built for bigger water with features such as self bailing cockpit for when you take a wave over the side or want to wash down the deck. Carpet is nasty if your salmon fishing. The wiring and hardware is typically higher quality.

There are a lot of options. A center console gives you less room fishing in the back but driving further back in the boat can really save your back as not only are you further back but also standing.

Deadrise is HUGE when it comes to chop. The more deadrise the better. I wouldn't buy a 20' boat with less then a 18 degree deadrise.

My absolute favorite boat brand in that size is Key West. They are completely foam filled so also unsinkable. Good fit and finish but still a good price. Also WOOD FREE. I have owned 3 and loved them all.

_________________
Image
Image

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 05:55am - Jul 14,18
Posts: 26

Post Posted: 04:05am - Oct 14,20 
Top  
SDS wrote:
$30,000 isn’t going to get you a new boat but you can find a nice used boat in that range no doubt. I think your on the right track with Aluminum boats if your looking for newer in that price range, 30k will get you a 10 year old fiberglass boat.

Sounds like a Alumacraft Trophy or Lund Tyee type boat would suit your needs, both are good boats IMO, don’t have experience with any other aluminum boats although many appear nice. It’s fine line for getting a used boat because something will always be sacrificed. Make sure your truck can handle pulling that load and your storage space will accommodate. I’d seek a lightly used boat and motor and have the motor compression checked and hours read before selecting anything. Also consider where you will have it serviced and what that service provider is authorized to work on.

I’d also check Walleye Central classified add as reference for market prices. I’d not finance anything over 4.75% with good credit, if they offer a rate over that I’d look somewhere else.

I fish out of a 2012 Alumacraft Trophy 175 w/Yamaha F115xa and have no complaints also trailer on long trips and store in my garage without issues. Mine was 5 years old with less than 70 hours on motor - 22k in 2017, new it was close to or over 30k.

Thanks guys for your response and advice
The Crestliner Authority is no doubt an awesome boat but gosh that one could cost close to 70K. Also I don't think I would want a big salt water boat but I'll think about it and appreciate your advice. Thanks SDS for your response, I'm painfully aware I can't find anything brand new for the hopeful 30K. I did see a couple nice boats that were 2019 that looked to be never used that were close to that price at a dealership that look possible. Unfortunately that dealership is all the way near Green Bay WI and I'm not sure how any type of warranty work might be granted from somewhere so far away. Also my 1 ton Van could pull pretty much pull any boat and my boat mechanic at Carl Stirns in Aurora IL is the best at any boat/motor and fully trust him. I will check out that Walleye Central and thanks for the tip on the finance rate. It sounds like the boat that you bought is pretty much exactly what I'm hoping to find. So I'll keep on searching.

Once again thanks everyone have a great day.
Dave

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler
User avatar

Joined: 01:58am - Jul 3,05
Posts: 2738
Location: south chicago/NWindiana

Post Posted: 06:57am - Oct 14,20 
Top  
Dave
I encourage you to look to north west style boats
These boat are made for a job/region when things go sideways.There is no one to call for help

The boat is s tool to do a job with. i this case i consider the job to have some good fun make memories and more importantly get home safely . Fun is over if some one gets hurt . Or in most cases gets scared .

Look at the job you hope to accomplish with your boat what king of fishing are you going to be doing focus on whats expected 60% of the time .
And suddenly the money spent is a good investment Be prepared for the worse conditions you may be caught out in not what you expect to go out in .
consider the interest rates on boat loans usually a new boat loan is subsidized by the boat or motor manufacturer. Where you will pay a much higher interest rate on a used boat. This is often a deal killer on used when the numbers get larger . Often makes the new boat on. monthly perspective much more affordable .

Image
Image

_________________
Frank aka honda cat
Master Captain USCG 50ton
Great lakes and In shore salt water
After its all said and done.... ITS ALL ABOUT THE FUN!

Image

 Profile WWW  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 08:29pm - Jul 18,19
Posts: 24
Location: Minooka

Post Posted: 02:24pm - Oct 14,20 
Top  
Don't be talked out of aluminum. Easier to trailer and floats high on the water. 22' Grady taking water over the bow and my 19' Aluminum bobbing on top. Both have there advantages.

 Profile  

Offline
Support Staff
User avatar

Joined: 12:03pm - May 9,06
Posts: 5794
Location: Lake County

Post Posted: 05:50pm - Oct 14,20 
Top  
The only thing I can add is don't be afraid to travel. Our last 2 boats came from Michigan and Minnesota, respectively.

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 05:55am - Jul 14,18
Posts: 26

Post Posted: 03:57am - Oct 15,20 
Top  
honda cat wrote:
Dave
I encourage you to look to north west style boats
These boat are made for a job/region when things go sideways.There is no one to call for help

The boat is s tool to do a job with. i this case i consider the job to have some good fun make memories and more importantly get home safely . Fun is over if some one gets hurt . Or in most cases gets scared .

Look at the job you hope to accomplish with your boat what king of fishing are you going to be doing focus on whats expected 60% of the time .
And suddenly the money spent is a good investment Be prepared for the worse conditions you may be caught out in not what you expect to go out in .
consider the interest rates on boat loans usually a new boat loan is subsidized by the boat or motor manufacturer. Where you will pay a much higher interest rate on a used boat. This is often a deal killer on used when the numbers get larger . Often makes the new boat on. monthly perspective much more affordable .

Image
Image

Once again thanks guys on the advice.
Thanks Honda Cat I will look into the Northwest Style boats. I sure do like the Hewescraft.

Thanks again
Dave

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 03:44pm - Sep 25,06
Posts: 277
Location: South Suburbs, IL

Post Posted: 09:32pm - Oct 15,20 
Top  
Here is a 2020 17' Smokercraft that would be good for inland and safe days on Lake Michigan. I have a 175 ultima and it can handle 1 to 3 safely. I dont go out in anything bigger than that. Got caught once in 5 footers and handled fine but not fun!

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/bod/ ... 25213.html

Good luck on your search. You can find some really nice used boats. I bought used and it worked out great to save some cash to spend on upgrades.

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 05:55am - Jul 14,18
Posts: 26

Post Posted: 03:24am - Oct 16,20 
Top  
runabout wrote:
Here is a 2020 17' Smokercraft that would be good for inland and safe days on Lake Michigan. I have a 175 ultima and it can handle 1 to 3 safely. I dont go out in anything bigger than that. Got caught once in 5 footers and handled fine but not fun!

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/bod/ ... 25213.html

Good luck on your search. You can find some really nice used boats. I bought used and it worked out great to save some cash to spend on upgrades.

Thank you Runabout
I appreciate it

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 03:33pm - May 3,13
Posts: 198
Location: Darkside

Post Posted: 09:52am - Oct 20,20 
Top  
Grand Pointe Marina in Lansing Michigan damn near giving away holdover Rangers.

_________________
Who decides reason?

 Profile  

Offline
Sponsor
Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: 06:23pm - Apr 7,08
Posts: 4030
Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 04:10pm - Oct 20,20 
Top  
SDS wrote:
Grand Pointe Marina in Lansing Michigan damn near giving away holdover Rangers.



98k for a Ranger 621 isn't really giving it away.

_________________
Image
Image

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 07:27pm - Jun 23,13
Posts: 473
Location: Palos Park

Post Posted: 05:16pm - Oct 20,20 
Top  
Storm Warning wrote:
SDS wrote:
Grand Pointe Marina in Lansing Michigan damn near giving away holdover Rangers.



98k for a Ranger 621 isn't really giving it away.



:bigyuck

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 02:23am - Dec 3,11
Posts: 428
Location: Highland Indiana

Post Posted: 11:14pm - Oct 20,20 
Top  
Couple good groups on Facebook to find good boats - Walleye boats for sale, Lake Michigan Salmon and Trout Fishing, Great Lakes Salmon and Trout Fishing. Between these three there's probably 100 boats for sale, some really nice ones too, that's where I'd start.

_________________
1987 Lund Baron
2005 Yamaha f150
1998 Mariner 15hp 2stk w/controllking
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. trolling motor
Simrad NSS12 evo2
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen 2
Simrad Is40
sonarhub
LSS1
Lowrance point 1
2 36" Cannon tracks
2 electric downriggers
2 High Seas quad rod trees

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 03:33pm - May 3,13
Posts: 198
Location: Darkside

Post Posted: 05:29am - Oct 22,20 
Top  
My buddy just purchased the Green/Gray 2019 Ranger VX1888WT listed for $43,999 on their website for 33k. They also threw in travel cover and winter cover.

I’m not a scientist but I’d say that’s a decent deal if you were looking for Aluminum boats.

_________________
Who decides reason?

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 11:10am - Apr 26,13
Posts: 363
Location: Hawthorn Woods, IL

Post Posted: 07:27am - Oct 23,20 
Top  
Buy what you can afford and are comfortable with. Fished the Great Lakes and many other bodies of water in all conditions. Owned metal and glass boats. Buy glass you will never regret it. Rides the waves like it has shock absorbers. Just the facts.

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 02:18pm - Oct 16,13
Posts: 289
Location: Yorkville, IL

Post Posted: 01:00pm - Oct 23,20 
Top  
SDS wrote:
My buddy just purchased the Green/Gray 2019 Ranger VX1888WT listed for $43,999 on their website for 33k. They also threw in travel cover and winter cover.

I’m not a scientist but I’d say that’s a decent deal if you were looking for Aluminum boats.


100% just curious but what kind of scratch and dents did it have? Looks like an AWESOME rig, especially that Merc.

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 05:55am - Jul 14,18
Posts: 26

Post Posted: 02:34pm - Oct 23,20 
Top  
SDS wrote:
My buddy just purchased the Green/Gray 2019 Ranger VX1888WT listed for $43,999 on their website for 33k. They also threw in travel cover and winter cover.

I’m not a scientist but I’d say that’s a decent deal if you were looking for Aluminum boats.

SDS Congratulations to your friend on his new boat. That does sound like a really great deal.
I am actually starting to get overwhelmed with trying to find my dream boat. Which I hope will last the rest of my life. I'm not sure if to jump on something now or wait until Spring.
I do have a perfectly working 2002 Crestliner 1650 that I fish out of and usually keep it going up until the week of Christmas fishing ports out of Waukegan, Milwaukee and Bender Park WI.
But I am wanting something newer, more deeper and bigger. I will keep searching and saving and hope the best opportunity will be found at the right time.
Also Ukie1 or anyone else. I am not familiar with Fiberglass boats and what the benefits or pros and cons compared to Aluminum boats. Any advice would be appreciated.

And thanks to all for all of your posts and advice.
I hope you all stay safe and are enjoying life and catching lots of fish.

Thanks
Dave

 Profile  

Offline
Chitown-Angler

Joined: 03:33pm - May 3,13
Posts: 198
Location: Darkside

Post Posted: 05:59am - Oct 24,20 
Top  
billebob5 wrote:
SDS wrote:
My buddy just purchased the Green/Gray 2019 Ranger VX1888WT listed for $43,999 on their website for 33k. They also threw in travel cover and winter cover.

I’m not a scientist but I’d say that’s a decent deal if you were looking for Aluminum boats.


100% just curious but what kind of scratch and dents did it have? Looks like an AWESOME rig, especially that Merc.


From what he told me it’s minimal from shipping, boat has never been in the water, I will see it in two weeks and can provide update.

_________________
Who decides reason?

 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Lake Michigan » General Lake Michigan
Jump to:  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum