Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:12pm - Jan 6,19 
Gonna be putting a boat with an older power plant onto Lake Michigan, Indiana and Door County, and need to engage a tow service. Any thoughts/experiences, good or bad? Is there a third option to consider?
Thanks!

2016 Nucanoe Pursuit
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught!"
In case you are wondering, I sold the Grady. Oh well, everybody makes mistakes....

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:00pm - Jan 6,19 
TowBoatUS is great. Don't know about SeaTow, but I have seen TBUS hard at work quite often between Waukegan and Racine. I think they may have added boats last year as well, and I think there's a Chitown member that runs the TBUS boat down in Indiana. MikeB I think?

Do a quick search cuz this topic came up last year around this time of year.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:52pm - Jan 6,19 
Thanks!

2016 Nucanoe Pursuit
In case you are wondering, I sold the Grady. Oh well, everybody makes mistakes....

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:35am - Jan 7,19 
Tow Boat US serves Waukegan/Racine. Just get a towing rider on your marine insurance and you won't have to worry about it. You'll get reimbursed for any tow.

President, Trollers Unlimited, Inc.

Profile WWW  

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 12:53pm - Jan 7,19 
SeaTow doesn't have a fresh water option so you pay the saltwater rate so its like $150. There are no sea tow boats so they will have to pay Boat US to get you. Tow Boat US has a freshwater option at like $80 for unlimited and lots of ports on the lake. There is a tow boat in Racine and next north I think is sister bay. Either way if you call they will find someone to come get you even if they don't have a boat around they will hire someone else. Its a really good program. If you have it built into your insurance good chance you will pay out of pocket and they get reimbursed. Not a big deal but its pretty normal for a tow to cost $1,000 and many up to 3,000 if your in a remote area. The tow boats get paid from when they leave their dock to when they get back. First time signups are cheaper as well. You can get it on tow boat Waukegans website for $60.

https://www.optimusmarineinc.com/47-signup

Don't bet on the police and CG towing you. If a commercial tow boat is available and your not in immediate danger they are not suppose to use their resources to tow you in. They used to bend that rule a lot more in the past then they do today.

Also know towing does Not include salvage. That's handled by your actual insurance company. Only soft ungroundings. Salvage is BIG money. Pretty normal for it to be over $200 a foot. Make sure your policy has salvage as a separate item. Boat policy's you typically insure a value. So lets say you are insured for 20k and the boat starts to sink. A tow boat saves the boat and gets it to a dock to be hauled out. you have a 30' boat at $200 a foot the salvage cost is $6,000. If its not separate you will only get paid out $16k if they total the boat. If it was separate you would get your full 20k.

I do some work with Tow Boat US and had a lot of tows in the $3,000 range. Especially on the IL river with all the locks tows can take For Ever. If they were a member they just had to give me their card info and sign. My insurance does cover towing but I still pay for a TowBoat US card as well.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:00am - Jan 8,19 
If you're going to the Chicago Boat Show, Boat US & Tow Boat US provide new signups as well as renewals at a discounted rate (not sure of the % but it's significant) at their booth. Best place to sign up or renew.

Formerly Anchor Management
Montrose Harbor
Channel 7
-----------------------------------------------------------

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:47am - Jan 8,19 
Thank you, gentlemen!!

2016 Nucanoe Pursuit

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:52am - Jan 27,19 
TowBoatUS is the towing service in Lake Michigan.
The rates went up t0 $85.00/yr, but you can sign up directly through me or TowBoatUS Racine for $60.00. There is a trailer towing option for an additional $14.00.
The unlimited fresh water towing includes on the water towing (50% if you are at your home dock), jump starts, fuel delivery and soft ungrounding.
My average tow is $1575.00, and a member doesn't pay a dime of it.
Our company covers from Mackinac Island to north of Wilmette. Optimus Marine/TowBoatUs covers areas to the north. Optimus just opened up a port in Milwaukee also.
We are able to renew members at a discounted rate($60.00/yr) during some shows. Our next show dated are 2/13-2/17 & 3/14-3/17.
If you want any additional info or want to sign up you can call me at 312-719-1320 or our office at 269-960-9036.

The towing program is a great service. I do well over 200 tows a year, and the majority of them are members.

If you have towing coverage on you non BoatUS/Geico boat insurance you would have to pay us and get reimbursed from your insurance company. The only exception to that is Progressive sign and glide.

Our non-member rates are 195-220/hr for tows so you can see where a tow can add up quick.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:18pm - Jan 28,19 
Mike S,
Thanks! I'll send you a PM. Happy to pay, hope to never use you! Please don't misunderstand this sentiment....

2016 Nucanoe Pursuit

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:16pm - Jan 28,19 
I forgot to mention that the membership covers every boat you own, rent or borrow(as long as the owner isn't on the boat with you) for the same yearly price.

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 10:27am - Jan 29,19 
mikes wrote:
I forgot to mention that the membership covers every boat you own, rent or borrow(as long as the owner isn't on the boat with you) for the same yearly price.

:winker

Support Staff

Post Posted: 03:45pm - Jan 29,19 
Does Towboat us cover all lake michigan? Other great lakes?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:27am - Jan 31,19 
TowBoatUS covers you nation wide. The freshwater unlimited towing DOESN"T cover you in salt water . A gold towing membership will cover you in both fresh and salt water plus it will provide 100% for home dock tows.
https://www.boatus.com/towing/landing/services.asp
These are last year's prices. It went up a few bucks in 2019, but if you buy directly through us, we can give a $25.00 discount for new memberships.
I get to have a little fun also!

Board index » Lake Michigan » General Lake Michigan
Jump to: