Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:47pm - May 10,18 
Pool Northwest of Wilmington west of 55 with the boat ramp(on the road with the shotgun areas). Just curious how the fishing and boating is(I only boat to fish).

I have a 17ft aluminum with a 75hp. Depths? How is the fishing? Is it busy?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:01pm - May 10,18 
The ramp is fine, dont go too far east of the ramp as it gets shallow. Personally with the way the current likes to rip through there at times I'd rather launch at three rivers or big basin. Much more pleasure boating than fishing on that stretch in my opinion. Also have been out there on days that the dnr is watching the ramp, they will check coolers for any alcoholic beverages as they are not allowed in the park and I've seen them ticket people for bumping the dock in very heavy current days. Just an fyi. I typically launch at big basin, nice launch, protected, and it's about a 6 or 7 mile ride to that launch from big basin.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:47pm - May 10,18 
Ok thanks. I like to avoid pleasure boaters at (almost) all costs. Thanks.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:02am - May 11,18 
Big Basin is a much nicer (and protected) launch, but they do charge a fee. The state ramp is free.

Fishing is good from the state ramp up river to the railroad bridge. But go slow. It's shallow and Rocky. Aside from a couple jet skis, this is the only small stretch the pleasure boaters avoid.

Depth everywhere else on that stretch is fine. Just give islands a wide berth if crossing behind them as shallow sandbars extend way out, and don't split between islands.

Sat and Sun afternoons are heavy on recreational boat traffic, but any other time you pretty much have the river to yourself.

Board index » Rivers » Kankakee
Jump to: