Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:57am - Aug 9,16 
Nobody seems to be wanting to share anymore including me. It seems the excitement and comments are wearing thin. Pictures start to look the same after a while and how many times can you say "nice fish, good colors, way to go". That being said I thought I would throw up a post. haven't seen the river look this good in a few years. Clarity outstanding, levels low, very little algae and no floating grass. If you are a wader and want to learn the river there is no better time than right now. With these low levels fish will be scattered so it will be one here , one there.
Fishing my typical late start day with high sun didn't affect my results. Fished about four hours catching an even dozen, losing a few others made for a nice afternoon. Switching back and forth between spinnerbait and stickworms working the edges of mid river grass humps was the ticket. Fish were fat and feisty with the biggest going 18 1/2 in.Image

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 08:43pm - Aug 9,16 
I don't like that color, and you could have done better. Really those river fish seem so small. Those fish need better lighting in order to see those colors better, can you adjust your camera angle next time.

Oh boy billy you sure hit the nail on the head with your great post. My hat is off to you. Been far to many years since I felt that current tugging and the body building exercise that brings at the end of the day can only be understood by those who have done it. Skillful interpretation of water being fished, and finding out what the fish want takes much to much knowledge to be consistently successful in our search. I for one thank you for making that learning curve much less for those who pay attention to your words of wisdom.

Thank you,
wsj

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:37am - Aug 10,16 
That was a pleasure to read! Thand for sharing your trip and a picture of a beaut of a fisb!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:55pm - Aug 11,16 
August has always been a tough one for me down on the Kank. I almost write it off completely. Nice to see that fish are still to be had. Last weekend I went down and noted the same clarity, water levels, etc unfortunately I skunked it. You are right tho it is a way of really getting a lay of the land or water in this case. Just wish my results were even a shadow glimmer of what you managed. Thanks for the update and drawing a vivid pic!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:32pm - Aug 12,16 
i've always loved August and most of Sept. on the Kank. Best opportunity for low clear water and ideal wading conditions. Love it when the dew point and the humidity are both 70+. Smallies seem to go nuts when that occurs, at least in my travels.

Bob P.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:40pm - Aug 12,16 
Thank you! I hit the Kankakee at least 2 times a month but I target channel cats....Catching a few here and there and returning them to fight another day.

Board index » Rivers » Kankakee
Jump to: