Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:54pm - Jun 20,14 
Heading out to do some wading Sunday. couple of questions;

How is water level/clarity?

Top water still good in early morning?

Or are twisters a better option?

Any good ideas to hold pole to waders? I used to have a belt and would just tuck in it. Haven't waded in a few years and figured they have probably come up with something by now.

Thanks in advance.

Oh BTW.....hows fishing??

Jim

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:31pm - Jun 20,14 
I'm planning a monday morning trip, but you may want to keep an eye on the water level, currently it's almost 18,000 cfs. May not be worth wading.

It looks like it may start cresting and hopefully start coming down (crossing fingers)

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=05527500

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:52am - Jun 21,14 
Water was extremely high when i was there last weekend. Had exceeded the banks by no small margin. Your best bet may be to find some backwaters or a creek that flows in before wading the main river. It's moving extremely fast.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:25pm - Jun 21,14 
An attempt to wade the river in waders at its current level would be suicidal, plus water clarity is basically 0". Keep an eye on the levels, 3.5 is wadable. (more like walking in ankle to thigh deep water thru flooded grass and willows) Fish are pushed towards the banks w/ these conditions, and less particular in bait selection because of the minimal clarity. Fish the edge of the weeds/grass, keep presentation SLOW, and don't die in one spot.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:58pm - Jun 21,14 
river was out of the banks before the latest rain. use lures with a lot of thump and that push water. fish the flooded stuff and shoreline related slack spots .

waders on to keep the mud and bugs off. been doing this highwater stuff for decades, I would get in the water only in areas I know to be safe to get a better casting angle. damn few areas I consider safe .

Adapt, overcome. improvise

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:25pm - Jun 22,14 
The gauge is over 5.0 usgs. Give it a week or more, depending on the rain. Around 3.0 is fishable. Clarity has to be straight mud right now.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:34pm - Jun 22,14 
Hey the river is really high and mud soup right now. Even the creeks r high and muddy. I can't wait for that water to start to fall and clear up. FISH ON.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:45pm - Jun 26,14 
Definitely was chocolate milk out there... As Creeky stated, the only place i had modest success was fishing the flooded grass, and shore related slack spots. found a few bends in the state park where the water pushed back away from the main channel w/ reduced current. Poppers, spinners and buzz baits were the way to go. water was ankle to thigh deep in this area. Really no reason to get in past knee deep, as you can cast pretty effectively from solid ground or ankle deep water.

I'm looking forward to the levels going down, but every time i say that another storm dumps a ton more water. At this rate it'll be August before it's where it usually is by June.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:01am - Jun 27,14 
switch to channel cats. use your favorite bait/concoction in shoreline slack areas. the bite is red hot .

Adapt, overcome. improvise

Board index » Rivers » Kankakee
Jump to: