Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:41am - Aug 21,19 
Anyone have their power cut in half while on plane before? Doesn’t happen all the time, but on several occasions last and this year I will get up to speed and suddenly lose almost 50%power. Checked plugs, changed fuel(shell premium),change lower unit fluid. Added sea foam. Was going to change my fuel line but thought I would ask first.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:26pm - Aug 21,19 
I have an outboard on my duck boat that will do the same thing (lose 50% of power) when the engine oil level gets low. I am told that it is a safety feature that stops the motor from damaging itself. Not sure if that is the same thing that is happening to you, but I suppose it is possible. Good luck getting it figured out.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:47pm - Aug 21,19 
Is there a fuel filter somewhere? In the tank, in line, or on the motor?

I was fighting a similar problem on an inboard. There is varnish (or something) in the fuel tank slowing the flow as it plugs a screen type fuel filter. Engine runs up, plenty of RPM for any where from a minute or 2 to 15 minutes. Then it starts loosing RPM.

I cleaned the screen in the filter and replaced it. All was well for 50 to 60 gallons but its starting again. I will fight it until I can burn the fuel out and try to open up the tank and clean it out.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:07pm - Aug 21,19 
Happened to me earlier this year with my 1997 40 HP Johnson. Changed fuel filter and plugs, even tried a different gas tank.
New fuel line last year, so skipped that. all that didn't work. Mechanic traced it to sensor for overheating, located near the water
output tube on the top left rear of the engine. All he did was move the wire away from the top spark plug wire and problem went away.
Sensor slows down engine if it senses water temp too hot. Check sensor or sensor wire location. I was lucky, mechanic has known me
casually for years and didn't charge me by the hour for tracing the problem. Good Luck

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:34am - Aug 22,19 
All good responses! Thanks for the info hope to have time to wrench on it tonight.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:07am - Aug 22,19 
Windy City wrote:

I was fighting a similar problem on an inboard. There is varnish (or something) in the fuel tank slowing the flow as it plugs a screen type fuel filter. Engine runs up, plenty of RPM for any where from a minute or 2 to 15 minutes. Then it starts loosing RPM.

I cleaned the screen in the filter and replaced it. All was well for 50 to 60 gallons but its starting again. I will fight it until I can burn the fuel out and try to open up the tank and clean it out.

I would eliminate the in-tank screen and mount an external spin-on type fuel filter/water catcher

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:57am - Aug 22,19 
minnow wrote:
Windy City wrote:

I would eliminate the in-tank screen and mount an external spin-on type fuel filter/water catcher

I don't have an in tank filter, open pick up tube. This is on a Tiara and they use a "pancake" pre-filter in front of the fuel cell which has a cartridge type replaceable element.

The pancake filter brings fuel in at the top of the first half, it passes through the screen, then continues on from the bottom of the second half.

The fuel cell contains a paper element and a submersed electric fuel pump (similar to a GM car), it is mounted on the motor. If I remove the pancake filter and replace it with a Racor type, the electric pump would have to overcome the air gap in the filter prior to feeding from the tank. I am not sure that this little pump would be capable of doing this.

Board index » The Tackle Box » Boats And Motors
Jump to: