Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:51pm - Apr 30,18 
A friend of mine is going to be keeping his boat docked for the year up on the chain. He has a slip already and we took it out for the first time yesterday. When we returned to the dock, it was quite a learning experience to get the cover on the boat while the boat is in the water.

Anyone have any tips/tricks to get the cover on easier?

Also, we got a few tires and buoys so it wont bang around as well. Any other tips/tricks for having the boat docked all year? Do's? Dont's??

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:28pm - Apr 30,18 
Biggest no-no it using tires. They leave marks on the boat that are very hard to get off. Get some fenders and tie them in place permantely. As for covering, that is a learning curve. With the boat in the water it is not easy, but after a few times, it becomes easier. Thanks that reminds me, for my garage sale, I have some fender to put out on sale.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:35pm - Apr 30,18 
Look up how to use spring and breast lines while docking.

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 08:37am - May 1,18 
Tires are going to really mark up the boat. Get big fenders or if you want extra space the big poly balls cant be beat. I have some 27" poly balls for the concrete walls in Chicago.

Learn to tie it up properly. Need a line from the stern to nearest cleat on the dock. Then 2 spring lines. you will have a spring line going from the cleat on the dock your stern line is tied to and run that to your midship cleat. Then a spring line from where the bow line ties up back to the midship cleat. Then a line from the bow cleat to the forward cleat on the dock. Both the stern and bow lines go from the boat to the dock with proper hitch locks and then back to the cleat on the boat so you are doubling up the line incase it breaks and they break often especially with old ropes. Depending on the dock you may beable to throw another line on to a different bow cleat. For instance you pull in bow in and dock on port side. there may be a place off the starboard bow side to tie to as well so use that also.

Big issues with boats letting go is old ropes and cheap poorly mounted cleats especially the plastic ones. '

Mooring covers are typically snapped on from the Top. you work from the bow back to the swim platform if you have one.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:38pm - May 11,18 
Believe the chain water depth can vary quickly so account for that too

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:23pm - May 12,18 
does anyone have experience with mooring whips?

Board index » The Tackle Box » Boats And Motors
Jump to: