Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:45pm - Feb 20,21 
I really dislike my boat trailer and am wishing I bought a tandem axle trailer. Anyone have suggestions as to a local place to look or just recommendations in general? I have a 19' glass boat. Thanks for any suggestions.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:02pm - Feb 20,21 
have a couple new left over tandem axle trailers might work for you disc brakes and adjustable bunks we usually but 186 explorers extended transom on them a 19 or 20 should fit cant get any more boats until august so trailers are on close out.

After its all said and done.... ITS ALL ABOUT THE FUN!

Profile WWW  

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 11:16am - Feb 21,21 
What don't you like about your trailer that a new trailer will fix?

I would order one from South Florida. They are built well and much cheaper then anything you will find up here even with shipping charges. Its cheap to ship out of Florida. Also Aluminum so you don't have to worry about rust. Get stainless hardware, torsion axles, Higher speed rated radial tires. Personally on a lighter boat and single would be my choice.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:48am - Feb 22,21 
Storm Warning wrote:

Just looking for a better ride and the security of having a dual axle.

Sponsor
Sponsor

Post Posted: 11:38am - Feb 22,21 
Paul S. wrote:
Storm Warning wrote:

Just looking for a better ride and the security of having a dual axle.

In most cases the reason for a trailer that pulls poorly is due to not enough weight on the hitch. Rule of thumb is minimum 10% of the weight of the trailer on the hitch. I have found with smaller boats I think that number should be closer to 15%. They say don't exceed 15%. So a 19' boat on trailer is probably at least 3,500lbs. so minimum down on the hitch will be 350lbs and closer to 500 would be a better option. Just don't go past the amount your surge brakes can handle witch is normally stamped on the surge brake assembly.

A hitch with a scale really helps when setting up a trailer or when loading your boat to go to the lake. I love it for my enclosed toy trailer so I can move the machines around to get it to trailer right. Otherwise you need to go to a truck scale to get the weight right. https://www.weigh-safe.com/

Either way South Florida is the place to get boat trailers.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:56pm - Feb 22,21 
I'm interested in learning more about the boat trailer manufacturers in south Florida - for when I buy my retirement boat.
If you would be so kind as to tell me the names of a few manufacturers you'd recommend, I'd be grateful.
Thanks

Sponsor
Sponsor

Post Posted: 09:59am - Feb 23,21 
btyreprich wrote:
I'm interested in learning more about the boat trailer manufacturers in south Florida - for when I buy my retirement boat.
If you would be so kind as to tell me the names of a few manufacturers you'd recommend, I'd be grateful.
Thanks

They are constantly changing names but all the same features. A few options like all stainless hardware, level of corrosion resistance for disk brakes, and type of tires. Otherwise they all use 1 of 2 brands of axles. all just aluminum I beam and all use jigs to drill all the holes so its always strait. All Leds.

Palm beach trailers sells them cheap. I think you can buy them on Ebay. https://palmbeachtrailer.com/

I have bought 5 trailers and 3 different brands from down there and all the same build and all worked great. I tow boats at least 6,000 miles a year. Normally closer to 10k. I just pump in fresh grease after a long trip or once a year.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:15pm - Feb 23,21 
I thank you for your reply. I really don't want a "cheap" trailer - no one does.
Just was hoping for a few names of aluminum boat trailer manufacturers.
I will be sure to look for the items mentioned in your post.

Board index » The Tackle Box » Boats And Motors
Jump to: