Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:31pm - Aug 25,20 
With the lakefront closed, looking to keep the boat out later this winter. You guys that fish when it’s cold, you have to get the boat in a garage right after? Doesn’t it freeze up? Any tips are appreciated

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:04am - Aug 26,20 
For the past 7 years I fish out of my boat up until the week of Christmas. I also have a pretty long drive to the launch which is usually Milwaukee and Oak Creek.
I drain the motor as best I can and when I return home the boat does go back in the garage with the heat on to help thing dry.

I have not had any issues with fishing in the cold

Support Staff

Post Posted: 04:14am - Aug 26,20 
Trim the outboard all the way down, then up, then down again to let them drain. Biggest issue is livewell and bilge, good idea not to use the livewell and toss a little RV antifreeze in the bilge. Safety first, and be prepared to break stuff, especially at night! Garage storage helps a ton, if nothing else to dry the boat out between trips. Keep thre winch strap on until the boat is in the water due to icy bunks, and have a way to get in and out without a dock.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:11am - Aug 26,20 
All of the above tips are good. I would also suggest (1 or 2) 5 gal buckets of coarse sand, and a tow strap. Ramps WILL get icy.

Good Luck

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:21am - Aug 26,20 
yep great advice above - drain! drain! drain! that's the biggest thing, you don't want water in the motor or the boat, ice is destructive.

Don't forget about the salt - that stuff is hard on boats and motors as well so get as much off as you can when you get home.

Heated garage is a big help as ice expands over time and you can get it back to liquid form so it can drain before it has a chance to do damage.

If they high is anywhere below around 27° I personally won't take the boat out because I do not enjoy things breaking as everything will be fragile in the cold.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:42pm - Aug 26,20 
I fish until about mid January (until Geneva locks up) and start up again beginning of March (I did fish out of the boat a few years back on Geneva in February but that is pretty rare). I leave it in my driveway and havent had any problems. Like everyone says make sure you drain everything. I do run my live well but make sure to run some RV antifreeze through it before putting away. Also, make sure you lids are dry or they will freeze shut which can be a little frustrating next time you go out. If you are fishing back to back days and its really cold, your trailer may freeze to your trailer, I have had that happen a few times. Then you have to sit with your boat and trailer in the water until it melts free. I dont think there is anything you can really do to prevent that if you are leaving it outside. Make sure to fire the motors up once you get out of the water to blow it all out. At the ramp I wouldnt launch without 4x4 and I always bring salt and tow chains just in case.

One thing I will add is over all safety when it is cold out, even not being in the boat but around water. A couple years ago I was getting off the boat at Linn and stepped on the rocks next to the launch and ate it pretty good. I got almost completely wet and could have cracked my noggin real good if I didnt catch myself. I had a couple friends with me then, but I have been out solo in the cold also and it could have turned out a lot worse very easily and quickly.

Since that time I have been more careful. Then last year I asked a fellow angler at the launch to hold the rope while I launched thinking that would be safer. He was holding it at the waters edge and ended up slipping completely in the water ruining his night. I didnt even know the guy. Offered him my extra bibs and boots but he didnt want them. I feel terrible to this day and will not do that one again. If you are one here and remember that night, my apologies again.

I guess another thing to add is unexpected ice especially when its dark out. It can be very hard to tell where water and ice meet. Be careful if on plane, you may run into a part of the lake that has locked up or has an ice flow. Ive returned to the launch before to find a couple of inches of ice forming. If doesnt take long when its calm and cold out.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:10pm - Aug 26,20 
It's all been covered but for now or any season if you're a new boater look down where the water meets the launch and if you see green moss it's just like ice(got a couple bruises to prove it).

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 10:55pm - Aug 27,20 
Im assuming you have a outboard. If not not sure its worth the trouble.

First when pulling the boat up the ramp go very SLOW so you dont coat the ramp with a ton of water iceing it up for the next guy because all the water you just dumped on the ramp washed all the salt away.
Once out trim the motor all the way down to drain it.
Next take a gallon of RV antifreeze and pour it in the drains and in the bilge. The bilge will ice up, Bilge pump kick on and kill the impeller. RV antifreeze keeps it from freezing solid and its nontoxic.
Thats really it. Keep the batteries charged and start the boat once a month to keep it lubed up.

Biggest thing is cold weather and water makes plastic parts brittle. Lose a threw hull and your DONE. No one is going to get to you before you die in 30 degree water. That said I'm a huge fan of a live raft. You can get one for 1k and well lets hope its a waste of money.
Waterproof cell phones, Handheld VHF, PLB all good things but if your in the water you got minutes not a hour.

Keep some warm water in a jug to de-ice your rods and the planer boards.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:46am - Aug 28,20 
When launching you Boat , in the cold , even if it was garage kept . Back you rig into the water . Lower your motor into the water , and let sit , for a few minutes . The lake / river water will melt any residue ice . If there is ice in there and you try to start your motor , BYE BYE WATER PUMP .The rubber impeller will break .

I usually launch and move my boat off to the side . Lower motor , then go park the trailer . Good to go when I get back .

Good Luck and Safe Trips ,,,, Walldady

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:46pm - Aug 29,20 
These guys are giving great advice and I have learned about the RV antifreeze. But I never winterize my motor and use it several times every winter. I always fish well into November and start again in early March at Braidwood. But I'll get out on the Lake for lake trout whenever the temps get around 40. I sometimes sneak down to Newton or Lake of Egypt if we get a nice weekend over the winter. If it has been awhile, I will look for a warm day in the winter and start the motor on the driveway. I never go much more than a month between running the motor.

I keep my boat in an uninsulated garaged and beside draining the water from the motor, I don't do anything special over the winter. I never use my livewell and my boat doesn't leak so I am not getting water inside to worry about freezing. I do put the charger on the batteries periodically. I don't know what the consensus is with wet cell batteries over the winter. Some people say bring them inside while others say they never bring them in but put a battery tender or plug in their onboard charger occasionally. I have never had an issue with my boat keeping it in the garage over the winter.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:29pm - Aug 29,20 
All good points. Some other things to consider:

Have at least 2 motors the boat - main outboard, kicker, and / or bow mount trolling motor.

Mist and spray will freeze and build all over your boat. Be very aware of this - the extra weight can be super dangerous esp if the lake starts to kick up

When pulling out at the launch stop before removing the boat and trailer from the water. Get to point where the back of the trailier is just out of the water - stay there until the water drains back in the lake (avoiding the launch ramp). You can then pull up the launch without leaving a water / ice trail for the next guy.

Condensation in your fuel line can start to freeze and limit performance. Be ready to lose power, have the anchor near by just in case. Having a bow mount trolling motor and staying relatively close to the launch is not a bad idea.

I always bring a remote jumper with me - spring summer winter or fall. Winter especially.

Make friends at the launch. All the hardcore guys will talk with you, and it's good to have some friends fishing next to you when you are out in the cold.

Green Machine

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:19pm - Aug 31,20 
have fun be safe the season is not over till YOU say it is over

After its all said and done.... ITS ALL ABOUT THE FUN!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:05pm - Sep 2,20 
Thanks for the tips.

Board index » The Tackle Box » Boats And Motors
Jump to: