Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:43pm - Feb 6,18 
I would like to hear from someone who has this device by Mercury on their motor. I am considering installing this on my 2016 90hp Mercury for more of the gas consumption information. My boat is a 2016 Lund Impact with a 19 gallon tank. The type of tank is long and more flat which makes gauging the amount of fuel remaining less than accurate. I hate pulling up to a pump reading empty and only needing 8 gallons. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:11pm - Feb 6,18 
I would look into another fuel metering system like the Lowrance. Inquired about the Vessel View Mobile here afew months back and didn't get any responses. Researched it and most faults direct you to a Merc dealer for further inspection. A little pricey too.

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 09:33am - Feb 7,18 
Rather then getting a dedicated display for your engine data you can instead just hook the motor into a NEMA 2000 network and send the data to your chartplotter especially if you are primarily worried about fuel consumption. if you wanted to see more data you can get a second display and spit screen it so it shows engine data and maybe a sonar on the other half. I just think piping the engine data into the chartplotter gives you more options.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:32pm - Feb 7,18 
What I did when my boat was new, 20 years ago, I ran the fuel down to about 1/4 mark on the gauge. I knew how big the tank was, and then it was easy to figure out how much gas was used and how much I had left. Once I refilled it, just a glance and I knew where I was at, fuel wise.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:15am - Feb 10,18 
One thing to remember, the old fuel rule. 1/3 out, 1/3 return, and 1/3 reserve. You will never go wrong if you follow this advice.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:58pm - Feb 11,18 
So this was a problem that was monitored with the dealer I bought the boat from. When I am reading a quarter of a tank I have used about 8 gallons out of 19. So from there it is hard for me to gauge if I'm reading dead empty.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:43am - Feb 12,18 
Then run it empty to see where the gauge reads. Bring along a jerry can with a few gallons to get back.

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 09:24am - Feb 12,18 
Bulldawg wrote:
Then run it empty to see where the gauge reads. Bring along a jerry can with a few gallons to get back.

Running a boat empty is a bad thing. Lots of garbage builds up at the bottom of the tank.

Sponsor
Sponsor

Post Posted: 02:37pm - Feb 12,18 
I used smart craft gauges from mercury when I had my Tuffy. They were pretty much dead on.

Team Ezeestep
Member, APCA

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:59pm - Mar 3,18 
Just picked up vessel view for $250.00, took longer to take off engine cowl than it did to plug it in a secure it. First trial today, really nice (based on 1 use). Is said that I burned 4 gallons going from pastrick to gary light round trip. Showed a lot of engine data, water temp, oil pressure, oil temp, rpms, speed & a bunch more if you want (& have the sensors for) My previous engine was a carburated 2 stroke, so to me, this thing is sweet. It keeps track of maintence schedule & hours on motor as well. It even showed dealer maintenace that was completed before I bought the boat. The boat is a 2013, was told by seller it had around 300 hrs on main engine, turn out it had just under 200.

I didnt see much online before I bought one, well worth it to me.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:39pm - Mar 4,18 
Storm Warning wrote:
Bulldawg wrote:

Running a boat empty is a bad thing. Lots of garbage builds up at the bottom of the tank.

His boat is only two years old. Can't imagine much debris build up in that time.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:57am - Mar 7,18 
You don't have to run it empty. He has to know how many gallons his tank is. Lets say its a 30 gal tank. Run it down so the needle shows 1/4, then fill it up and see how many gallons it takes.

Board index » The Tackle Box » Boats And Motors
Jump to: